Option to have Modal Interchange sorted from "light to dark" modes

Hi @Ed1,

Scaler 2 presents modal interchange in chronological order (Major, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Minor, Locrian), yet in practice it seems easier to understand the modes in order of “light to dark” (Lydian, Major, Mixolydian, Dorian, Minor, Phrygian, Locrian). Could there be an option or preference to sort them in this “light to dark” manner?

So this

effectively becomes

but without having to construct it manually, and being able to change between Triads, 7ths, etc. on the fly. From a UX perspective, to brighten a progression I’d intuitively select a chord above my current one, which would also be less distance to move my eyes and the mouse to target. Also notice how in the 2nd screenshot, the colored box headers (blue, lt. grey, dk. grey) seem to make more sense visually with more blue headers grouped closer together. Good 'ol I-IV-V! :slightly_smiling_face:

Somewhat related, notice how the current spelling of some chords makes for an untidy A note followed by A# when it should be Bb, or D followed by D# when it should be Eb, etc. Could those be flipped enharmonically? I realize the names do change with the Selected Scale is changed, but it seems like for a given tonic, they should conform to each scale degree using consecutive note names.

Thanks,

Eric

3 Likes

This is great feedback thanks for the effort. Will discuss internally.

1 Like