Orchestral Set-up -- Use Sync

I’m excited to see the upcoming version of Scaler being released on “black” Friday. Unfortunately in the USA in the big cities there are some darker days ahead soon – but I’m not going there.

Scaler is already SUPER easy to use for music generation… styled arps, melodies, bass lines with bass-in-chords, modulations, circle - of - fifths, one finger chords and melodies (no wrong notes), and “soon” this list will be even longer.

For those who are new to Scaler… put Scaler on a track and use it to generate chords. Then put multiple Scalers on other tracks. On each of these tracks turn off Scaler’s internal sound and put your instrument of choice after Scaler, or set the track to send midi out to your hardware.

As you make changes to your chords and bind them your song will begin to form. I have tried routing the chord track output to multiple tracks and it does work, however, it seems to be much more computer intensive.

I have found that using Scaler’s Sync function is the “best” option. It also makes sense that when you get everything working and wired the way you want that you should save a template of your set-up.

As to what instruments can be used… any midi driven instruments or sounds you want, or even external.

For those who would like to know, I really like Windows 7 and not buying Windows 10 is saving me a lot of money… tons. Not that I am cheap, I just like Windows 7 and I have a working system.

I current am running 7 midi ports of 16 instruments each with a small number of extra sounds (and I really like the “felt” piano ;).

I run 2x ports Genos 1: & 2: (S.Art2!), FA-08 3: (Supernatural Sounds), TritonLE :4, WK-3700 :5, Axon MkII :6, and JV-1010. That and the VSTs gives me a 120 piece orchestra with low latency – not that it even matters.

If you have a somewhat strong computer you might find the “sole” VST route is the way to go.

I have found that mixing the different makes: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, and Casio gives a much better “real” sounding orchestra than any one make alone.

I hope this helps someone.

1 Like

Yes I too usually have a sketch scaler and then a bunch of scalers that will sync together to trigger my virtual instruments and libraries. It also is quite unique at triggering my analogue synths with its triplet feel expressions.

I use multiple Scalers all the time. Doing different things, some chords, some phrases, etc.
I find it odd in your setup that one Scaler causes more CPU use then multiple Scalers. Routing MIDI to different tracks should not use any more CPU then the One Scaler and whatever instruments you put on the routed tracks. In any event, have fun with the experiments.

Yes, I found that to be odd too, but that’s from my experience – whodathunkit?!

But syncing the master Scaler to all others makes the track independent of each other and seems to work much better (again from experience).

I find multiScalers absolutely a necessity. Each instrument I want doing different things. I wish Scaler has a more interesting Arp but there are external ones out there. Scaler just gets better and better!

1 Like

can you or anyone else share what the new features are in the new version.
Is your excessive CPU usage a result from not having enough ram…does Scaler 2 make use of multi core? More and more VSt’s are making use multi core processors. I’m looking for more videos on the way people use Scaler in their original song production workflows-- I only see Davide’s videos. It would really be great to see more producers showing their workflows since there are so many ways people are using Scaler in their workflows.

There are a few of these that can be quite interesting…
Scaler and The Orchestra 2
Scaler and Ork 2 and Indie
Scaler and Emotional Strings

1 Like

while if you like paper, ink and quill (like me :joy:) here is a wonderful guide stuffed with tips to improve audio performances
my 2 cents

1 Like

and, do you know a video about Scaler controlling BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover?
:smiley:

The Emotional strings might be the closest.

1 Like

thanks, I looked the video… then I bought the plugin
:smiley:

it’s bombastic and has an incredible small footprint
I did this simple test in the classical style and I found that 3 Scaler and 5 BBC instances suck just 900 MB :astonished:

Pretty good. Now work on the dynamic levels. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Pretty good?
LOL you are too polite
this is a crap where even the fool brother of Leonard Bernstein would never be the conductor
:joy:

I did this test only to understand what Scaler expressions, phrases etc are suitable, if any, for the various instruments, and I think that most aren’t, likely because Scaler was firstly developed for keyboards

moreover, my testing was stopped by the “hanging note” bug that I hope will be fixed in the next release

We do too! Planning on this happening and we’ve decided to push 2.2 out to December 10th after Black Friday sales to give it the attention it deserves and solve this bug!

3 Likes

OK, fine
I can hardly wait to have it fixed, so being able to use patterns with my BBC toy
:grinning:

1 Like

for example?
I tried a couple of them, Nora and another whose name I forgot, but I always found their arpeggios too in the “robot-style”

Winning combination Scaler + BBCO

BTW, @ClaudioPorcellana, did you try some of Spitfire LABS free instruments? I have a couple of them. Very interesting and really good quality.

1 Like

The BBC Orchestra is a good option.

And there are many, many arps available, even arps for free like BlueArp… I now have many, many arps from PluginBoutique.

I don’t really have any favorites.

Note: There are also over 25 skins available for BlueArp for starters, and you can create your own.

It is to be expected, as I know that this isn’t just any ordinary update.