Pentatonics problem in white keys only mode

I;m a lousy keyboard player and dont know much about music theory so I heavily rely on Pentatonic scales and play using ‘white keys only’. The problem is the notes are not consecutive…some of the white keys are skipped (not consecutive) and designated with an ‘x’. This isnt right. Defeats the purpose. I was told this would be fixed in the new Scaler update but it hasnt been. What gives?

Thankfully I also use Komplete Kontrol Instruments and when I play pentatonics in easy mode all the white keys play and I even get the light guides matching…

Hi @nobadmojo,

Regarding the:

those notes correspond to a pitch that is absent from the pentatonic scale because the pentatonic scales have 5 notes and there are 7 white keys per octave.

So if you select the Major Pentatonic Scale in any key when using Scale White Keys in Keys-Lock mode you will end up always with the pattern 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 because the major pentatonic can be seen as a major scale where the 4th and 7th degrees are omitted.

Now, if I understand correctly your point, what you would like is to have the notes mapped in a continuous way, so if we take the major pentatonic, instead of having on the white keys 1,2,3,X,5,6,X you would like to have 1,2,3,5,6,X,X stacking the “valid” pitches at the beginning of the octave and having empty keys at the end of the octave on two the remaining white keys, is that what you ment? Or something like 1,2,3,3,5,6,6 repeating the missing pitches to have every white key playable. Or something else?

Cheers,
Paul

1 Like

Hi and thanks for responding

Ideally it would be 1,2,3,5,6,1,2,3,5,6,etc. Thats how it works in Komplete Kontrol and sure makes everything easier and better. Even 1,2,3,5,6,x,x would be an improvement