Printing and storing Scaler chord data

I recently went through a small exercise to explore the structure of the chords in Scaler. Although this could be done by exporting them to a DAW, and then transcribing the constituent notes, I wanted to (a) have the data in some computer readable form, together with the intervals, and (b) have them linked to the naming convention in Scaler.

Having previously built a little gizmo to read, interpret and analyse scaler State Files, this just required a modification to that, which entailed being able to link the chord names to some chord identity.

[I had established a simple mechanism to uniquely encode the identity of any chord or scale based on its structure rather than the name, which is described in an earlier post A possibly useful analysis spread sheet ]

A description of the process is as follows. By selecting some scale / mode, and then choosing the ā€œvariation on the tonicā€ in Section B, the chord names can be saved to the clipboard and imported into Excel (or whatever).

Following this, if a State save is then done, the resulting XML file contains the chord structure in midi note form, which can be easily extracted from the file. Because they are in the same order, they can be linked by adding a simple index and then merging the data together.

A diagram of the script flow to do this is shown under, followed by a clip of the output.

fig 4

Happy to share info on the process. I might run through all the modes and then publish this on the board.

6 Likes

I am primarily a Reaper DAW user on a modest Windows 11 Pro platform while also experimenting with the Ardour DAW.

Your posts got my attention because Iā€™ve been hoping to find a way to similarly exchange music information between Scaler and Guitar Pro, the MIDI-capable editor and reader for both guitar music score and tablature, and simply do not have the programming kung fu needed to accomplish the task.

Thank you by the way, for the very clean and concise flow chart, only wish more people saw the value in doing that. It would save a world of confusion and arguments.
https://www.guitar-pro.com/c/13-guitar-pro-overview

Welcome, Moorayn.
You can save the file created in Reaper as a midi and then open it in Guitar Pro, the same way you can in Musescore.
And, something Iā€™ve been able to check recently: you can directly drag the chord progression directly from the Scaler in Musescore. Check if it can also be done in GuitarPro

1 Like

The drag and dropping directly from Scaler into Guitar Pro works, but so far not the other way around, at least so far. Iā€™ve installed MuseScore and over the next few months, I plan to compare it with Guitar Pro.

I like that MuseScore is open-source and appears to cater to a broader musical community. Unfortunately, Guitar Pro dominates the guitar tablature file format, making it hard to get away from entirely.

Okay. Musescore can write in guitar tablature. It is not a difficult program to learn. In addition, there are very good tutorials on Youtube videos, which are generally not very long and explain things very well. As you say, the fact that it is an open source program is a great advantage. And (pleasant surprise I read on the Musescore Forum) this year, Musecore will be able to host VSTi instruments, and this includes our Scaler. You imagine? Typing everything you do in Scaler directly into sheet music and guitar tablature? Iā€™m really looking forward to that time (even if I have to pay something to have that wonderful option). What is certain is that other paid and expensive editors, such as Sibelius, Finale, Doricoā€¦ do not have this project in their plans, but Musescore does.
Anyway, here is a link to a YouTube video about guitar tablature in Musescore
MuseScore Tutorial - How to Write Guitar Tablature in MuseScore - YouTube
Type in Youtube search ā€œguitar tab Musescoreā€ and you will find more

2 Likes

I was just trying my headphones for the first time and canā€™t make the work right with MuseScore. My system default has been reset to headphones, I even switched the application to output headphones, but it the playback from MuseScore is still coming through the speakers. I have searched instead of the app for any setting that would cause this without luck. Guitar Pro doesnā€™t have this issue.
Completely off-topic, WTF is with your user name?

Iā€™m not sure who you are referring to (I started the thread), but Iā€™m puzzled that any user name warrants comment, and particularly when cast in the terms used. Personally directed comments are not really in keeping with the culture of this board.

What is WTF?. If you mean do I have any special license to my Musescore name, I will tell you that I just have the program installed without any special license. I think there is something like that if you make some kind of donation. But that is not mandatory for the program to work well.
The audio problem you mention can occur depending on your sound card or your virtual ASIO if you are using it.
In Musescore I use Windows audio, since in Musescore I only intend to make my scores. The good sounds I use in my DAWs with VSTIs.
Go to Edit and I/O and configure the Audio and MIDI inputs and outputs there with what works for you.
Under Windows Audio Devices (bottom right) you should also choose your default device.
I leave some images and I hope they help you

1 Like

No, @yorkeman, its not your username, I believe itā€™s Joseā€™s. Not only Moorayn insults one of our important contributors, in terms of musical knowledge, quality answers and articles, he completely misses the point. If only could he look a little bit better at Joseā€™s avatar, he could find that Jose plays bassoon. And he should know that bassoon has several other names, such as basson, fagott and fagotto.I believe the guy knows only one meaning of fagott in English, and thatā€™s not the one related to woodwinds. And not only Moorayn completely lacks decency, the context of his insult is discriminatory.

3 Likes

Okay. It is true that bassoon has other meanings in English, but (without disrespecting anyone for their sexuality; it is their right, of course) my name jjfagot responds to the fact that my name is JosƩ Juan and I have played the bassoon since I was a child. You can look me up on Youtube and see me playing bassoon concertos with orchestra
My intention in responding to Moorayn has been to share what I know in the same way that other colleagues do in this forum. Here we always help each other, and, above all, we respect each other.
I didnā€™t even realize what he had written to me (it shows in my reply, which continues to talk about the issue of sheet music editing)
Thank you Miki for clarifying that my wonderful instrument has several names. In fact, before they called him BASSOON in English, in Spain it was BAJƓN (who plays the bass). The adoption of the name FAGOT comes from the Italian language (FAGOTTO), in the same way that it is FAGOTT in German.

2 Likes

@Muiren 's user profile points to some organisation which ā€œis open to all with shared values however it is deliberately inclusive of the most disenfranchised members of the LGBTQIA+ communitiesā€ so it seems that this is a case of unbalanced sensitivity combined with linguistic ignorance. Regardless, the comment was unacceptable.

[I have never figured out what all the ever growing components of that acronym mean, and it seems it is likely to get longer. Bristol University in the UK for example, has just produced guidance for staff on *"the correct pronouns to use when addressing those who define as ā€˜catgenderā€™. "* The list specifically refers to ā€˜xenicā€™ individuals who do not fit in to ā€˜the Western human binary of gender alignment. Iā€™m obviously getting old ā€¦ ]

Thank you for explaining @jjfagot for responding in the spirit the question was asked.

You are most appreciated.

How fortunate that my esteem isnā€™t wounded by discovering I am wrong about, well honestly, just about anything.

Also, forgive my candour, which my late father described as ā€œblunt as an anvilā€.

As a scientist, engineer, experimentalist, project manager my world has always been less about ā€œfeelingā€ right and more about being progressively less wrong.

In fact, being wrong more often than not over frustratingly long periods of time while constantly testing my assumptions has been my career for over 45 years and one few people have the temperament for.

I did finally figure out that I needed to restart MuseScore after changing the audio out settings, and neither Guitar Pro nor Reaper requires that. It was just a small but frustrating moment.

Everything is going smoothly now and I am enjoying the nuanced differences between how Guitar Pro and MuseScore each interpret the exact same output from Scaler.

Right now I am trying to figure out if there is a way to use Reaper to pull a music XML format file from Scaler data instead of this drag and drop technique.

@yorkeman and @Miki By music literacy, I presume you specifically mean the harmonic style of 18th-century European composers that is presumed the definition of Music Theory? Yes, that allegedly unbiased lens through which all music can be objectively viewed and understood?

I forget there are still people who cling to pseudohistorical, pseudoscientific rationales used to hide and obfuscate colonial ethnocentrism.

The spirit was "what the f*ck" - not exactly polite - so people will draw the spirit of your question in that contextā€¦

I didnā€™t mention anything about ā€˜music literacyā€™ so that went over my head.

The most appropriate response here would seem to be WTF?

Anyway, this board is not the place for interchanges like this , so Iā€™m done - no more.

Interesting exchange,

I donā€™t think it was inappropriate to ask the question, I was completely ignorant as well so thanks for teaching us some vocabulary.

It could have been worded better maybe, asked in private etcā€¦ but I donā€™t think anyone here is trying to offend anyone else.

Thanks for flagging :slight_smile: and staying on topic :pray:

2 Likes

What I found inappropriate, was the use of the ā€œWT*ā€ in the phrase. For everything else there is an explanation :grinning: This abbreviation should not be a part of civilized communication.

Stop pretending you care about anything more than the pretence of civility. You are making the claim that a set letters so common and ubiquitous they are an emoji used by grade school-age children on cellphones around the world. Now mind your own business and leave me alone.

You have both been able to express your point of you, I am closing the thread just to prevent any further incomprehension.

Feel free to start a new one @yorkeman if you feel the need to. Sorry it got derailed off topic, those things happen as thereā€™s a lot of us here now.

Cheers,
Ed

1 Like