Rabbit Composer Workflow - Part I: Scaler duplicated

Just found a way to build interesting textures that one Scaler only cannot do

Duplicate (or multiply) Scaler and have both instances feed the same instrument with the same series of chords

Then try to set different patterns, or the same pattern but different speed (0,5 x - 1 x - 2x), or both

And… try the various Voice groupings, so to vary bass and treble notes further…
Wow, a lot of fun and interesting new patterns that jump out

2 Likes

Yes, this is most amazing! Often you can find interesting polyrhythms between mixing the different performances in parallel. For example when you add to mixing play speed 0.5x - 1x - 2x with the other time signatures…

1 Like

How are you routing 2 Scalers to one input?

@jamieh
The trick is routing 2 Scaler to 2 instances of the same instrument… :smile:

@jamieh in Ableton one way to do it is like this MIDI routing…

Or with a MIDI feedback device (software like LoopBe, or hardware like looping back MIDI cable from out back to in, as I do with my NI Komplete MIDI port)

I do the second method when I use Scaler 2 with the Maschine software which doesn’t make available the MIDI generated by VST plugins.

loopMIDI | Tobias Erichsen (tobias-erichsen.de)

LoopBe1 - A Free Virtual MIDI Driver (nerds.de)

I forgot to mention that I do route Scaler 2 instances to percussive plugins/presets, for the polyrhythm effect :slight_smile:

:astonished:
Never noticed this option

the nice thing with many good pieces of software is that you can reach what you want in different ways :smile:

My option can be better if you want also change one of the instrument in the polyphony to obtain strange sounds

What is your setup, @ClaudioPorcellana ? Mine seems overly convoluted and uses up two track just for routing. I also understand this to be an Ableton Live (Lite) constraint. With Max4Live and Bitwig, I heard, you can route multiple MIDI generators in-line to the same plugin without using up separate tracks. The DAW environment definitely matters, which is why I am on a quest to accumulate ever DAW under the sun :laughing: in a soft version of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome :wink:

It is very simple @Bernd
here is the 2 Scalers
Scaler-State 1.xml (7.5 KB) Scaler-State 2.xml (7.6 KB)

They drive each an EzKeys Dream Machine

I kept the 1st Scaler with one fixed pattern, I set the speed to 0,5 in the 2nd Scaler, then I tried all patterns one by one in the 2nd Scaler, and I found tons of interesting poly-phonies

I added some text in the picture below hoping it is easier to understand

ALL tracks are armed because instruments output sounds ONLY if fed by Scaler

Oh, I see… you are duplicating the target VST instrument, basically an exact clone of the same instrument, but each fed by its own dedicated Scaler instance. Makes sense now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool! This is working out for a Phillip Glass-type piece I am developing. Always something new to learn. And Ableton Live 11 has many cool things itself. Follow actions for scenes for one and that is great to work with.

1 Like

And that thanks to this lovely community
:heart_eyes:

thanks for sharing :green_heart:

1 Like

You are welcome @lenners

Still trying to understand how to implement this lol. I use Studio One 5 - Would I create a layer and place bother scalers on that? Are they triggering at the same time?

I am sorry just having trouble understanding completely.

1 Like

@ShizzleMayne

I don’t know Studio, but I suspect the logic can be the same in any DAW

put 2 identical instruments in 2 tracks
put 2 instances of Scaler in other 2 tracks to drive each of the 2 identical instruments
then set an identical series of chords in Section C for the 2 Scaler
Set the 2 Sections C to play in loop and in sync with your DAW
now hit Play, space bar, or whatever can start the playback
you should hear sounds coming from the 2 instruments
if so, change the patterns in the 2nd Scaler, and possibly change the speed (0,5x - 1x- 2x), until you hear something interesting

let me know if it works

the 2 Scaler trigger at the same time if you set them to do that
red line below

AND, in my DAW at least (but I suspect in yours as well) you have to ARM all tracks: i.e. the 2 tracks with Scaler and the 2 tracks with instruments, because the instruments output a sound only if fed by Scaler
:wink:

Hi @ClaudioPorcellana. What an awesome idea you have…Love it! Thank you for sharing. Do you have any cool audio examples of the happy accidents you have been creating? …or maybe even a cool video of you demonstrating your idea?

Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi @iamheroTV
I just composed a simple sample here for you

here is the 2 Scaler xml files
Scaler 1.xml (9.0 KB) Scaler 2.xml (9.1 KB)

And here the 2 instruments I used (2 identical copies) but you can use any other vst

The 2 guitars are in different tracks, but the spatial placement is the same, so they sound as one guitar

About a cool video, I usually prefer writing (old style school, quill & ink you know? :rofl:) that is faster to me, but I think this workflow is so simple that you don’t need it

cheers

1 Like