Recognize chord genre and sentiment from detected midi

Do I am wrong or a washing machine is on the right?
Strange coupling…
:rofl:

Well spotted ! In fact, it’s a tumble dryer. I’d pushed the box in to a utility room temporarily (it’s on wheels) as a carpet was being replaced in its normal location.
Bizarrely, it has a stereo amplifier, which is odd since the speakers are too close together to get any stereo effect, and in any case, it played 45s which were mono anyway. The output stage has 4x EL84’s in dual push-pull configuration, pushing out 35-40W RMS.
It was 10 pence to play a record (EUR 0.116)

1 Like

Thanks to FB, I was able to retrieve that Nirvana dance-floor

I am arguing how much of 50 lire (1 record) and 100 lire (3 records) were collected and slipped in the coin slit, each night, during summer holidays
:rofl:

Rap is as diverse as any other genre and Nicky Minaj/Eminem do not represent the breadth or totality of it by any means.

And yes, I get that you and some others here may not like it, it’s not my go-to music, but -insert your genre here- is no more or less noble than hip-hop. Genre snobbery is beneath the creative imo.

2 Likes

It was not intended as snobbery (and I don’t think that @ClaudioPorcellana’s comment was either.) There is a certain amount of banter often between @ClaudioPorcellana , @Bernd and me which attempts to be humorous but perhaps can be read otherwise, especially factoring the in the Anglo / Italian / Germanic nuances.

Point taken, and fully acknowledged, both on the aspect of content and breadth. I have watched videos which analyse the complex rhythmic structure of rap, and in particular how the the elements of poetic metre have evolved since it’s fuzzy inception. it does warrant a place in the musical spectrum.

However, as a purely personal opinion, I have some puzzlement as to, given the 8 billion odd people in the world why Time magazine would rate Megan Thee Stallion as being in the 100 most influential to mankind - I suspect a rather US centric position.
Lyrically, I am also puzzled (being old, white and male) as to why songs which manage to get the N word in 40 times in two verses (a feat in itself) and would result in arrest if you read them out loud in the street in London are somehow world class.

(Deleted links)

1 Like

We agree on some parts here.

I suspect, and I’m guessing, that list was based more on some niche cultural influence rather than musical legacy.

The genre has examples of brilliance, but is also riddled with some complexities in places, as you flag.

Thanks for a gracious reply,

(edit) thanks for the urls nor sure if the links really fit in with the positive tone here on the forum but thanks again for reaching out.

2 Likes

I know it perfectly @skank
don’t be offended by my words that were a jest
if you’ll attend this forum and dig in our posts, you’ll find that some of us jokes very often, even being sarcastic sometimes

but we all consider any kind of music very seriously, nevertheless the musician is serious or not, or that we like this music or not

I have a good friend that is a fan of rap, hip-hop and rap, the genres I dislike more together with the liscio romagnolo :grinning:, but we are still good friends, and we are also because this guy is a fan of Motown and Afrobeat that I also like
It means that we have both our preferences, but even point of contacts

Clearly, if you love rap only, it’s quite difficult we’ll find a point of contact, but I’ll respect you anyway bro

So, James, take care and have fun with the music and this forum

Again, acknowledged. Serious points were intended in the blog (namely re-writing history and lyrics which I view as not positive to young consumers, as I noted), but I have deleted them as straying too far from the musical soul of the board.

@Bernd posted a note which in essence posited that there should be a balance of purely “Scaler has an bug when …” posts and wider comments which add ‘character’ and make it less of a simple whinge list, and I think that is a sensible target,

I also guess we have a responsibility to @davide and moderators who permit a wide range of contributions not to abuse that latitude.

Peace, and may the music - of every genre, shade and hue - continue.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the reply. Please bear with my rushed replies, I’ve left my desktop and replies on the mobile are a chore)

It’s clearly humour in your point on rap chords, but I feel the banter sometimes reveals more than just humorous intent.

Anyway I did say that rap is not my thing but my point was that we as creatives are above broad genre generalizations.

Noted it is was in jest but I thought my deleted reply to you countered in that tone.

I’ll stop now my fingers hurt.

1 Like

I genuinely appreciate you hearing me and again really agree on some stuff there.

Peace and all that good stuff right back at ya.

1 Like

Well, now I am curious to know what’s your “thing”…
:grinning:

mine is here

Happy to oblige :slight_smile: there’s way too much to list all here quickly, but a few are funk, jazz (hard bop/bebop), baroque, electronic music, funk and the best of mainstream song-based pop.

1 Like

:grinning: There is a sea of points of contact here

Funk music is very asked for in the forum, and I dropped some posts/tutorials on how to (try to) produce funky vibes with Scaler and other plugins
cheers

P.S. I tried a couple of times to do a proof-of-concept for rap and hip-hop in my series Scaler is good at, but I was unable to succeed: maybe you are
:grinning:

As the original poster of this thread, let me conclude the discussion, and reiterate my original intent with the original post starting this thread…

I am amazed by the automatic association of rap with hiphop, and the N word being mistaken for “non permissable language” (if you don’t understand rap origins and subcultures, can you really have an informed opinion on it?). There’s rap without hiphop, there’s hiphop without rap, and there’s plenty of non-gangsta rap, and not all N word occurrence is automatically gangsta rap, and that which is most notorious is not necessarily representative for the breadth of work out there.

As for the thread hijacking, I for one have been guilty of this myself, so I accept my karma. I also love watching the muppet show, so I have no issue with spirited arguments, as long as Gonzo gets his chicken in order :wink:

But, to reiterate my original feature request

I would love to see Scaler 3.x some time be able to recognize incoming MIDI patterns that match some of the internal presets (songs, artists, performance expressions etc). Whether you have a personal opinion on this as a feature can be debated, but if Scaler does provide organized MIDI patterns and expression performance variety, as a learning musician, it would be invaluable if it could associate incoming MIDI with the patterns it already knows from its internal library, and display these matches in a similar way Scaler today shows a list of potential scales a given chord progression could be part of.

For the future of keeping the forum balanced between effectively communicating support needs and feature requests, perhaps the more conversationally creative among us, can spawn a separate thread to expand on our social impulses while keeping the original intent of the inspiring discussion thread focused. Whatdoyasay?

Cheers from a fellow Muppet!

2 Likes

I can’t even figure out what this thread is about anymore. I tried to read it today and my eyes kind of glazed over.

This feature request…

I would love to see Scaler 3.x some time be able to recognize incoming MIDI patterns that match some of the internal presets (songs, artists, performance expressions etc). Whether you have a personal opinion on this as a feature can be debated, but if Scaler does provide organized MIDI patterns and expression performance variety, as a learning musician, it would be invaluable if it could associate incoming MIDI with the patterns it already knows from its internal library, and display these matches in a similar way Scaler today shows a list of potential scales a given chord progression could be part of.

Hmmm. Could have fooled me. I answered that part but it seems now to be about doing rap music with juke box Scaler on a Nirvana Stage.

1 Like

You mean this?

I didn’t feel it was so much of an answer than a personal opinion. I hadn’t really asked a question, I made a feature suggestion. The premise is, if Scaler currently offers a selection of melodies & chord progressions as part of its feature set, it would be logical to have them be recognized by incoming MIDI. To take it into philosophical territory doesn’t diminish my desire to see this feature :slight_smile:

If there are generally no “typical” chord progressions or expressions, then what is the purpose of Scaler’s chord and performance library in the first place?

I think it’s there because people love labels.
Anyone of these could be used for anything. What makes I-IV-ii-V Happy? Why is i-V-i-iv Dramatic? I can see no reason and could probably switch them around and no one would be the wiser. Just my opinion of course.
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 12.35.58 PM

Well, there must be some statistical distribution, where a significant share of a certain music style has patterns in common (melodies, chords, rhythms, sounds). And yes, labels, genres, are humans way to communicate, short of spending an hour to re-explain every concepts. But as a fellow rebel against the system I can appreciate your aversion to mainstreamed categories/lables :slight_smile: