Recording Hammond plugin variations easily, how?

Hi pals

I have a rumbling rock piece where the Hammond track is a major actor, and I would have all infinite variations (you know, that gazillion of sliders & switches impossible to NOT touch :grin:) falling in the recorded tune, but I think to remember there is some issue here

Some time ago I played live and recorded a lot of variations with my AAS Strum-GS 2, but at the end, when re-playing the resulting song, I found that just the latest “sound & riff” was actually recorded :cold_face:

I thought then it was due to the fact I was actually using a MIDI instrument, so I actually recorded a MIDI file, not the real audio output like a preamp output pushed on a tape recorder: Do I am wrong?

And if not, how can I record all those Hammond (or other plugin) variations?

Hi Claudio,
I hope I understand well the problem because it sounds familiar to me. I had the similar issue but found the solution.
I don’t know Ableton, but in Reaper, I did it by using different CCs to record the movements of my controller’s faders. In MIDI, this can be seen as curve (see below). it’s been some time I did not use my Arturia B3 or the other B3 (I forgot its name) but I’ll try to repeat this and give you feedback.

Updated:
OK, I just checked. I assigned different CC values to the faders on my nanoKontrol2. I recorded sound from B3 by moving at the same time the faders which eventually created a kind of curve:

This curve corresponds to the movement of faders related to drawbars. When playing back, the sound changes as the curve changes and drawbar moves, too. It depends on your DAW and also your controller how you can do it, but the main thing is:
One fader = unique CC value and each CC is mapped to a control in your instrument.
For example, I used CC110 for the first fader and this CC was mapped to Lower Drawbar 16’, CC 111 was used for Lower Drawbar 5 1/3", etc.
Each CC (in Reaper) has one lane in piano roll and the movement can be seen in the lanes as curve.

Very similar principle can be used with knobs and buttons etc., for volume, preamp and other controls you have in your instrument.

If the movements are not recorded at the same time as the music, you should be able to do it by recording (in overdub mode) just the fader movements over the notes.

1 Like

Argh, it sounds way too complex to me :cold_face:
there is no a way to record the master output instead?
Or sending the Hammond sound to an Audio track?
And “Send” sliders can be used for this purpose maybe?

We covered this when you first got your slider controller just for this purpose. Go back and look at those posts. You need to assign those sliders to the Hammond sliders and record those. I know we talked much about this when you got that controller.

1 Like

Frankly, did not try Master output. My approach is not that difficult. Just find a way to map each fader to one control and that’s it. Google a bit, I am pretty sure you’ll find something pretty simple.

1 Like

OK, I’ll go over my lesson again
:grin:

thanks for now

1 Like

Well, I didn’t go over my lesson 'cause I am a lazy pupil :grin:

Just lurked on the Internet and found an easier way
and you know I love easiest way, he he

Here is the trick and I realize now it can be used for AAS-Strum as well to overcome the mess of the double track workaround

Insert an audio track, set the “audio from” the midi track you wanna record, arm your track and record on an empty clip!

That’s all

How are you controlling the drawbars?

no need doing that
just record and all kind of variations fall into the audio file: PURE MOJO!

The drawbars are what make the variations in sound on the Hammond. If you aren’t moving them what variations are you talking about?

Sorry, I believed you meant the drawbars in my hardware controller :grin:
or CC mapping as @Miki said
OK, I moved the drawbars and switches into the plugin itself

Do you use a mouse or are you using the sliders on the controller you bought?

1 Like

Just to clarify the terminology. I think you have Akai Midimix controller. So, faders are your slider controls on Akai, completely at the bottom, and drawbars are the sliding controls on your Hammond. By mapping CCs from Akai in your Hammond, when you move one or more faders on Akai, makes moving the respective drawbars in Hammond.
You can move the drawbars with your mouse, but only one at the time.
So, the recommended use is with controller.

More about mapping, in this VideĂČ

Also, here.

1 Like

Yes @jamieh , I use my mouse to move software sliders

And the answer to @Miki is that I don’t use the Akai Midimi, but even if I used it, CC mapping its sliders is useless because sending the Hammond plugin output to an Audio track captures anything I do with my mouse and fingers-on-keyboard :bomb:

Clearly, I cannot edit (easily) the audio later, as I can do with a MIDI track, but you should have understood that I dislike editing :grin:, preferring way more jamming

So, in my personal workflow, where I set an accompaniment (guitar, bass and drums) then I jam freely with 1-2 solo instruments, this super-easy recording set is perfect

1 Like

You can’t possibly change sliders in a very interesting way with the mouse while you are playing. It seems like you totally forgot the day you set the sliders up to control the drawbars and jammed all evening. You were so excited you had the hammond playing like a hammond. Did you really forget that? You’re not that old. What’s going on?

2 Likes

why not?
the Hammond accompaniment is automatic, made by Scaler :grin:
I mostly use one hand for the solo, so the other is able to click everything on the GUI

Anyway, the reason why I forgot the controller is that it covers just half of sliders, and a few of other actuators; moreover, mapping it with its very poor software is a nightmare

Maybe I’ll come back to a controller the day I buy a serious one, but at the moment using the mouse is easier

Thanks for your insights and reminders anyway