"Remove Duplicate Chords" should only remove *exact* duplicates, not unique variations of the same chord

It’s nice to finally see the “remove duplicate chords” function, however it has a massive drawback.

If you have 10 voicings of the same chord, Scaler treats them as identical and only keeps one (which isn’t the same as any of them). Considering the choice of voicing is an important creative decision and how artists add variation and character to progressions this is a very poor design choice.

Duplicate detection should be done at the MIDI note level, not the generalized music theory level.

Scaler Arp Example
This example is a simple way to illustrate the point. These are 10 variations of Db Maj taken from Cthulhu after running it’s remove duplicates option, imported into Scaler and played through a simple arp sound. While they are all technically Db Maj, they are also unique.

If Scaler’s remove duplicate function is run I’m left with 1 instance of Db Maj with 8 notes starting a C1 and ending at C5. All subtlety has been stripped away and replaced with a maximalist mess of notes. :hear_no_evil:

The current behavior might be ok as an option, but not the default.
Similar to Cthulhu, an option that ignores duplicates during the detection process would be quite helpful.

1 Like

Hi Atom,

Welcome to the forum. I haven’t tried this before but now you have brought it up I tried it with a series of C chord variations: C maj, C sus 2, C sus 4, C7, Cmaj7, C min7, C maj 1st inversion, C maj 2nd inversion.

When I tried this Scaler removed the C maj inversions but left all the other chords.

I would agree that

and as a feature it would be useful if the user can select to keep inversions when usig this feature.

Thanks for the welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, the feature works well for different types of chords with the same tonic, but I think my example makes it quite clear how different the exact same chord can sound, and that’s not even including inversions which are a common way of adding progression to a progression.

I can’t imagine an actual piano/keyboard player of any sophistication playing a Dm chord with the identical number of notes on the exact keys 50 times in a song.

I’d already run Cthulhu’s delete duplicate option, and it correctly identified that the chords in my example are all unique variations of Dbm as the MIDI notes used are different in each of them.

Whereas Scaler removes all chord variations of “same” chord, Cthulhu allows you to create more (populate empty slots with variations) which can be very useful.

It’s got other features I think Scaler could benefit from, but I’ll save that for another thread.

Clicking on your produces a “403 Forbidden” error, so I’m afraid I can’t see your example.

Weird, thanks for letting me know.
I tested logged out and also on my phone with a different IP and it works for me. :man_shrugging:

The gist of it is if you arpeggiate a CMaj chord with 6 notes spanning 3 octaves it’s going to sound quite different than a CMaj chord with 3 notes in 1 octave,

Even if the chords share no MIDI notes in common, Scaler’s remove duplicates feature decides the difference is meaningless and it should combine them into a single CMaj chord which was not in the source at all.

Seeing as the developers obviously have a sophisticated understanding of music/chord theory I assume this is an easy to fix oversight.