Scalar 2 - 2013 MacBook running hot

Hi all

Just bought this very interesting software. However, I’m noticing it runs VERY hot in ableton on my 2013 MacBook Pro (i5, 8Gig Ram) and the fans are on. CPU monitor is pretty low though around 20 percent with scalar driving a synth plugin.

Is this common? I’ve lowered the resolution which helps (the fans don’t switch on) so I’m suspecting it’s something to do with the graphics processor. It’s useable but working in low res is a pain.

Anyone else having this issue?

Cheers, Nick

It is amazing software btw. Absolutely superb. Might just need a new MacBook;)

Happy you’re enjoying it. Don’t use it as an excuse to get new gear yet. We will have the time to get a look at how to improve performances in the next few weeks.

Lowering resolution helps as you have noticed already. You can disable the audio detection by clicking on the “Audio” button in the top section… not much more to do for now unfortunately.

Once we get the last few crashes sorted we will get to this. Thanks for the support :slight_smile:

Thanks. Will do the tweaks you mentioned. I’ve found that turning the plugin off in ableton when I’m working on the synth/midi helps a lot. Fans not switching on now and I’m running at normal res.

It’s great software. I’ve used Cthulhu for a while as an ‘inspiration well/harmonic thesaurus’ and this is sooooo much more user friendly.