Scaler 2.0b7/2.0b8: Will not pass Channel Pressure messages

When I set up Scaler 2 in front of a synth that understands aftertouch, it will not pass aftertouch data to the synth.

Are all other midi data passed through (mod wheel etc)? Are you assigning to an instrument that supports aftertouch?

When I tested Scaler 2.0b8 with Bitwig Studio 3.2b5 (as shown in this video) it did not pass aftertouch or mod wheel messages.

When I tested with Logic Pro X 10.5 (as shown in this video) it did pass aftertouch and mod wheel messages.

I also tested with Studio One Professional 4.6.1.55987 (with Scaler on one track and my synth on another) and it did pass pitch bend, modulation, and aftertouch as a VST2 (but not a VST3.)

Could it be a Bitwig problem? (I also tested with Bitwig Studio 3.1.3 and aftertouch/mod wheel/pitch bend messages were not passed. Also, I tested with Scaler 2 on one track and a “Note Receiver” taking the input from Scaler 2 on my synth track and had the same issue.)

Hi @dcarmich

which version are you using on the different host VST2 / 3 ?

I just tested using the VST2 version of Scaler 2.0b8 with Bitwig Studio 3.2b5, and it does pass pitch bend/mod wheel/aftertouch. (In the test video I shared, I used the VST3 version.)

I just tested again with Studio One Professional 4.6.1.55987, and had the same issue (VST2 version did pass pitch bend/mod wheel/aftertouch, but the VST3 version didn’t.)

In Logic Pro X 10.5, I used the Audio Unit version and did not have this issue.

@Ed1, @davide: I just got an email from Bitwig Support stating: “This is a known issue with the VST3 version of the plugin and they suggest using the VST2 version instead.”

Will this issue be fixed in the VST3 version when Scaler 2 is released?

Hi @dcarmich

Scaler 2 is also affected by this issue at the moment. It is on the list and will be fixed. It is not only dependent on our side but also on the implementation of the VST3 hosting on the DAW side as well.

Scaler 2 also come with a VST2 version to circumvent the issue.

I do have an email address for Bitwig Support during the 3.2 beta testing period (beta@bitwig.com).
What specifically do they have to fix in order to make the VST3 version pass Channel Pressure and associated messages?

It is an issue that relates to the VST3 SDK itself, it is a well known issue to all plugin/host developers. I am sure they are aware of it.

This is the reason we offer the VST2 as an alternative.

1 Like