Scaler 2.7 Multi Out, how to guide and information for various DAWs

Scaler 2.7 Multi-Voice Output Host Reference Document:

Will keep updating this document

Logic Pro X:

Whilst the AU plug-in format which Logic uses exclusively does not support multi-channel MIDI output, a workaround is possible using the macOS IAC Driver.

Without using the IAC Driver, the only way to use Scaler’s Multi-Voice Output mode in Logic is to use the ScalerControl MIDI effect as a plug-in in front of a single multi-timbral plug-in such as Native Instruments’ Kontakt, or Spectrasonics’ Omnisphere.

Although routing Scaler’s MIDI output to multiple mono-timbral plug-ins across multiple MIDI channels is not natively supported due to AU plug-in limitations, the aforementioned IAC Driver workaround alleviates this limitation. See the workarounds section at the bottom of this document for more info

Ableton Live:

Scaler’s Multi-Voice Output is not natively supported by Ableton Live, as per the following Ableton support article https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209070189-Accessing-the-MIDI-output-of-a-VST-plug-in

One potential workaround is to use Blue Cat’s PatchWork, a paid plug-in which can itself host plug-ins with more intricate internal routing options, including multi-channel MIDI routing.Blue Cat's PatchWork - Fully Configurable Plug-Ins Chainer and Multi FX / Standalone Host or Plug-In

This process is demonstrated in the following video by plug-in Boutique (not using Scaler):

For other alternatives and workarounds, see the workarounds section of this document below.

Studio One:

Studio One supports multi-channel MIDI routing from Scaler (with Multi-Voice Output mode activated) to multiple instrument tracks across multiple MIDI channels. Just set each instrument’s MIDI input to Scaler and select the desired MIDI channel. Be sure to use the VST2 or VST3 version of Scaler, as the AU plug-in format does not support multi-channel MIDI output.

To use Scaler’s Multi-Voice output mode with multi-timbral plug-ins e.g NI Kontakt, you will need to create an instrument channel for each multi-timbral part, with each instrument channel’s MIDI input set to Scaler 2, and the appropriate MIDI channel. Then set each instrument track’s Instrument Output to your multi-timbral plug-in e.g. Kontakt, and Channel Output to correspond with the desired multi-timbral part (referred to by Studio One as Event Input) e.g. Event Input 1.

Cubase:

Cubase fully supports Scaler’s Multi-Voice output mode with both a single multi-timbral plug-in e.g. Kontakt, and with multiple mono-timbral plug-ins across multiple tracks/channels.

When controlling multiple mono-timbral plug-ins, use Cubase’s Input Transformer to filter MIDI input by channel e.g. ‘pass channel 2 only’. For more information, refer to Cubase’s official documentation.

Bitwig:

Bigwig fully supports Scaler’s Multi-Voice output mode with both a single multi-timbral plug-in e.g. Kontakt, and with multiple mono-timbral plug-ins across multiple tracks/channels.

For mono-timbral instruments, set each instrument’s MIDI input to Scaler 2 output, and set ‘Accepted Channel’ and ‘Destination Channel to desired MIDI channel e.g. channel 2 for first/lowest Scaler Output voice.

For multi-timbral instruments, set Scaler’s ‘Notes to Tracks’ MIDI output to multi-timbral instrument host track e.g. Kontakt (track not plugin), and set destination track’s ‘Accepted Channels’ to ‘all’.

Reaper:

Reaper fully supports Scaler’s Multi-Voice output mode with both a single multi-timbral plug-in e.g. Kontakt, and multiple mono-timbral plug-ins across multiple tracks/channels.

Use the ‘Route’ button on the Scaler Instrument Track to create MIDI sends for each instrument. For multi-timbral plug-ins, set output to ‘All’ channels. For mono-timbral plug-ins, specify individual MIDI channels for each instrument.

For multi-timbral plug-ins, you will also need to assign each multi-timbral part a unique MIDI input channel (2-16) via the plugin interface.

FL Studio:

FL Studio fully supports Scaler’s Multi-Voice Output mode in conjunction with multi-timbral plug-ins e.g. NI Kontakt. Just set Scaler’s MIDI output and the receiving Instrument’s MIDI input to the same port (e.g. 2) via each plug-in’s VST Wrapper Settings. Then assign each multi-timbral part’s MIDI input channel accordingly (2-16) inside the multi-timbral plugin.

Using Scaler’s Multi-Voice Output with multiple mono-timbral instrument plug-ins is possible, but requires some configuration via the Patcher plug-in.

First create an instance of Scaler on a new channel, and specify a MIDI out port e.g. port 1. Then create an instance of Patcher on a new channel. Inside the Patcher, right click the ‘From FL Studio’ object and set ‘Outputs-Events’ to the same port as Scaler’s output.

Then add a ‘VFX Color Mapper’ plug-in and connect its MIDI input to ‘From FL Studio’s’ MIDI output. Right click the Color Mapper plug-in and via ‘Outputs-Events’ activate all necessary Voice Outputs (MIDI channels) remembering that channel 1 contains all notes (polyphonic), and channels 2-15 contain the individual notes (monophonic) from low to high.

Then add instrument plug-ins as required connecting their MIDI inputs to the appropriate voice output of the Color Mapper.

Pro Tools:

Pro Tools is fully compatible with Scaler’s Multi-Voice Output mode, using both multiple mono-timbral plug-ins or a single multi-timbral plug-in.

To use MVO mode with multiple mono-timbral plug-ins, first create a Stereo Instrument Track and load the Scaler 2 plug-in as an insert. Disable Scaler’s internal sound and enable Multi-Voice Output mode.

Then create an additional Instrument Track for each note Scaler is producing. E.g. for four note chords you will need four additional Instrument Tracks. Load a mono-timbral instrument plug-in in the insert slot of each of these Instrument Tracks.

On the Mix window, right-click on where it says ‘Inserts A-E’ on any track and select ‘Instrument’ to display each track’s MIDI I/O settings. Set each mono-timbral instrument track’s MIDI input as a seperate Scaler 2 MIDI channel starting at channel 2 for the lowest note. Then if necessary set each track’s MIDI output as the instrument plug-in loaded on that same track.

Then record arm each instrument track and it should all be working.

For use with a single multi-timbral instrument plug-in, first create two Stereo Instrument Tracks and as many additional MIDI tracks as notes being produced by Scaler E.g. for four note chords you will need four additional MIDI tracks.

Load the Scaler 2 plug-in as an insert on the first Instrument track, disable Scaler’s internal sound and enable Multi-Voice Output mode.

Then load a Multi-Timbral plug-in as in insert on the second Instrument track. Inside the Multi-Timbral plug-in, create one timbre/part for each not Scaler is producing, and set each timbre/part to receive a seperate MIDI channel. E.g. with four timbres loaded, you could choose channels 1 - 4 which would happen by default in NI’s Kontakt, or you could choose channels 2 - 5 to be consistent with Scaler’s channel routing.

Then set each MIDI track’s MIDI input to ‘Scaler 2 Out’ choosing a seperate MIDI channel for each track starting at channel 2 for the lowest note. Then set each MIDI track’s MIDI output as your Multi-Timbral plug-in, choosing a seperate channel for each track. This needs to be consistent with the input channels chosen for each timbre of your Multi-Timbral plug-in.

Then record arm all MIDI tracks (use shift to arm multiple tracks). To use a MIDI controller your will also need to record arm the Scaler 2 Instrument track.

Workarounds:

Logic:

Using the macOS IAC Driver, it is possible to route MIDI from Scaler to multiple mono-timbral plugins across multiple MIDI channels. Make sure the IAC Driver device is online as per the following link: Transfer MIDI information between apps in Audio MIDI Setup on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

Create an External MIDI track, then add the ScalerControl 2 MIDI effect plug-in to this track. Set the External Instrument device’s MIDI Destination as IAC Driver Bus 1, with MIDI Channel set to All.

Then create as many software instrument tracks as needed, setting their MIDI In Port to IAC Driver Bus 1, and and choosing appropriate MIDI channel (2-15).

See the following Scaler Forum link for more information:

Ableton Live:

On Mac OS you can create an IAC Driver virtual MIDI bus, and replicate Scaler’s Multi-Voice output functionality using Live 11’s MPE support. There are also paid 3rd party MIDI bus options to achieve similar functionality using Windows. https://help.ableton.com/hc/en- us/articles/209774225-Setting-up-a-virtual-MIDI-bus

There are ongoing discussions relating to this approach on the official Scaler forum:

https://forum.scalerplugin.com

5 Likes

great post
I was just thinking to ask you for it, because that feature is a ginepraio (tangle :cold_face:) to me

I tried the Blue Cat’s PatchWork demo and I can’t make head or tail of it :rofl:

I then installed Reaper to listen how the feature works, and it works very well to me, but I don’t like Reaper

So, I’ll skip that feature at all, because I found better (easier) ways to use my plugins

BTW, I consider that feature not suitable for the 3 orchestral plugins I have
maybe others are fine, but mine aren’t

1 Like

the link seems dead…

sorry try again! there was a space in the link

1 Like

Thank you very much! Enjoy the Scaler. Keep up the great work!

not yet…
:thinking:

The page you were looking for doesn’t exist

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved

Take me back to the home page

The right link is here

But the information are scarce, and the 1st tool alone is useless without Element and a complex setup:

Windows does not come with a native virtual MIDI driver, but there are a number of these available for free:

• RTP loopMIDI developed by Tobias Erichsen, who also programmed a version of the Network MIDI driver for Windows.
  • MIDI Yoke, as a part of the MIDI OX Utility, is probably the best-known Windows equivalent to Mac’s IAC Bus. Note: It’s 32-bit only, so it won’t work with Live 10 or any 64-bit version of Live.

In the same path maybe useful one of the Pizmidi tools called midiChordSplit, but they are all 32 bit, and GUIs are very old-style (incomprehensible to me :grin:)

There is also Cantabile that @yorkeman used to championed but since he’s no longer around I don’t think you’ll get much info on it. A shame we lost 2 of the people that could have helped Windows users on this.

yes, quite a shame, but @yorkeman is still here, just changed nick if I remember well

And I communicate with José Llopis by emails
he approved my orchestration for dummies workflow BTW :grin:

not mentioning the late lamented Carlos Arellano

BTW, here is what can be used with MPE

Actually, I checked the site (without logging in) a few times to see if 2.7 had been released, but I no longer post (and ditto with my alter ego, panda). I seemed to attract aggression, so I lost interest.

I am replying now because I noted the various attempts to fully utilise the really substantive upgrade which is 2.7 (@davide, they are a game changing for Scaler), and various challenges with Ableton Live. It’s a pity for folk to miss out, because 2.7 is great fun.

I have made real progress with Cantabile and the new 2.7 features and have had them working well with Ableton 11. standard under Windows 10. A useful feature is that you can sync multiple instances of Scaler within Cantabile. My final test will be to use Midi Clock to sync Live and Cantabile (and its internally synched Scaler instances) so that you can have tracks in both but start in sync and follow time from one button (either in Cantabile or Live).

If anyone is interested I’ll knock up some presentation and post it here to share the huge advance of 2.7, although I don’t plan to return to ‘participative’ posting. The minor drawback of doing this is that @jamieh will wince at my feeble attempts at Orchestration.

@Davide You missed out BITWIG :confused:

Luckily there is no messing around with complicated workarounds like you have to with those older DAWS that you already tested.

1. For using multiple mono instruments all you need to do is select Scaler 2 as the input device on the track inspector for each synth and select the corresponding MIDI channels that you want to trigger that instrument. You could use the MIDI filter if you wanted to fine tune combinations of notes.

2. For multi timbral instruments just put the instrument inline with Scaler2 on the same track.

EDIT: Actually just trying this out the best workflow is to place the Channel Filter device in front of each instrument part, you can then just click and choose on the filter which notes trigger this instrument. This is helpful because SCALER doesnt stick with its note to channel assignments when you turn on performance mode as many more notes are added for the performance so a three note chord can end up with 12 generated note channels for instance.

Here is a visual for the BITWIG setup for anyone that needs it. It’s very simple. I used Kontakt in this example but of course any instrument is fair play.
See @tactile_coast post above for further clarification.

1 Like

Bigwig is being tested today! We just haven’t gotten around to it but thanks for the tips! @Tristan Can you please get this in the doc. :pray:

Hey @davide

Unless I’m misunderstanding something, which is quite possible, as far as I can tell, using Multi Voice on multi-timbral players in Studio One works as I would expect. (but this is all new to me)

Like I showed in my Tutorial post, I am driving multiple Kontakt instruments from a single instance of the Kontakt Player and a single instance of Scaler. There are multiple tracks, but only a single instance of each (Kontakt and Scaler). Each instrument got a different Scaler note using the MVO feature which is what I thought we were doing.

In another example, I’m using the SINE player (a great free option BTW) to host 3 different instruments (Organ, Strings, Brass) with multiple articulations per instrument. I have 1 Scaler loaded and 1 instance of SINE. Notes are spread across the instruments and I control the articulations with a key switch track.

FWIW, I’m having a blast spreading the Scaler chords across a bunch of instruments, either in composite (multi-timbral) players like SINE & Kontakt, or in single voice instruments like BBC Discovery (or even Scaler itself)

Is there another element to multi voice that I’m missing that S1 is not enabling? Because until I read your post, I thought things were working splendidly with Studio One but now I’m a bit lost.

Cheers
T

1 Like

Hey @TMacD, that’s a great solution! Little bit of extra work compared to other DAWs requiring an Instrument Track for each multi-timbral part but it works perfectly well. I’ve updated the document with method. Thanks!

1 Like

No problem Tristan, glad it works as expected.

Thanks to you and the rest of the team for a great product!

Note - For the Studio One users out there, the Duplicate Track (Not Duplicate Track (Complete) combined with the Group and Folder functions in S1 make the process of creating MVO tracks fast and easy to organize.

1 Like

First post: can confirm Scaler 2.7 for Windows works (flawlessly so far) in Gig Performer. Now I just have to figure out how I want to use Scaler’s insanely rich options! Any guidance pointers for the first time Scaler user, honoured experts?

There is also Reper and from my experience Scaler 2.7 works with no issues in Reaper. For multi out just load Reaper into a track and load your other instruments into other tracks and use Reaper’s simple midi routing.

2 Likes

yes, I can confirm that the feature works smoothly in Reaper
I reinstalled the demo just to see :grin:

unfortunately I don’t like Reaper, otherwise I’d go there
it is the cheaper, and one of the more customizable and powerful DAWs, but I hate the way it works