Scaler 2 crashes ableton live 10 - resolved with sample rate, output buffer changes

I have had repeated crashes a few seconds after opening Scaler 2.2.0 in Ableton Live 10.1.30
Scaler stays opens for about ten seconds then crashes Ableton, leaving me with at my home screen and a new crash report when I open Ableton.

Reinstalled Scaler 2 many times, using default installation path and setting Ableton to “Use VST3 Plug-In System Folders” as well as trying “Use VST3 Custom Folder” and VST2.

I even tried completely resetting my Windows 10 PC including clearing the hard drive and starting with a completely fresh install of Ableton and then Scaler 2 using the defaults for the Scaler installation, but I still have the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @markabauer

thanks for reporting your issue, would you mind giving us a bit more info on your setup?

What audio settings are you using (audio interface, block size, samplerate) ?

Scaler’s audio detection is unstable at high samplerates (over 88.2KHz) You can try to disable it from the top menu and check if it improves the stability.

That worked!

I reduced my sample rate from 96,000 (unnecessarily high) to 44,100 (CD quality), and my output buffer from 4096 (Ableton’s default) to 1100, and the crashing problem stopped.

I don’t use an advanced audio interface. I just use an audioquest dragonfly red USB DAC for output to my monitors, and I simply plug an AKG USB mic and Alesis USB keyboard into my PC for inputs.

Thanks so much for the quick and helpful reply Ed.

1 Like