Scaler 2 is good at... Classical music

Encouraged by @jjfagot I decided to try a piece of classical music

I suspect this is chamber music, and after all I am a chamber-room composer :rofl:
Anyway here is the routing

And the series of 4 BBC instruments
(the numbers match the ones showed in the routing)

And the piano

And all Scaler files
(the numbers match the ones showed in the routing)
I used Classical 1 for the 1st 8 chords, then I set the other 8 ones using Suggest and my ear, and I found all patterns by ear

1 Scaler 2.xml (23.7 KB)
4 Scaler 2.xml (23.9 KB)
7 Scaler 2.xml (23.6 KB)
10 Scaler 2.xml (23.7 KB)
13 Scaler 2.xml (23.7 KB)

And here the “camera piece

P.S. I don’t like the result, very boring in my opinion
I think that too much study and work is needed to improve it, so consider it just a test to see how Scaler 2 can work with BBC Symphony :hear_no_evil:

2 Likes

Well, it’s very good as a first try, Claudio, and I’m sure you’ll be a good chamber composer.
One thing: I see from your routing that the instruments always pick up the PRE FX sound. Could you try routing them in POST FX? I think the result would be different

1 Like

OK, I’ll try it tomorrow
thanks

Good morning Claudio.
I am working with your classic file.
By replicating your setup I have made a few small changes.
As you will see, I directly link the BBC instruments, without going through a midi track. This way I can SOLO any of them without relying on having to SOLO the Midi track as well. I usually do it like this. It’s just a suggestion. Try it and you will tell me.
As for the Tuba, I have changed it to Celli. We’ll put on the Tuba when we do Mahler, :grinning: :grinning:.
What I think is important is the following change:
Instead of sending the latest Scaler directly to Ezkeys, I’ve copied the chord progression into Ezkeys so I can apply different interpretations from the Ezkeys Browser. I send the Ezkeys output to a Numa Player piano, but is not necessary. Can use Ezkeys itself
I’ll also tell you that it might be more appropriate to start with that piano + the last Scaler itself, then add the violins, the pizzicato bass, then the celli and oboes. In short, in the order you want, but not all at once from the beginning. It will be less repetitive and if you keep changing interpretations of Ezkeys you will also keep the listener interested.
Anyway, they are just ideas that come to mind from a good progression for classical music

1 Like

Scaler is good with Jazz. Jazz often focuses on fine and complex chords, and that’s what Scaler does well.

Sure, I used that routing because I had another idea at the beginning, i.e. to drive the different BBC instrument channels, but I found after it was useless

About the Tuba I selected it by ear, just because it was a sort-of-bass he he he
So OK, this is a confirmation that I don’t understand a damn thing of classical music

If I find again the willingness, I’ll try to start from a piano, but there are a few chances because this genre is not in my chords, even if I appreciate a lot the sound of those instruments

1 Like