Scaler Control, Scaler Audio and Scaler (insturment)

Can someone please simple explain what the various instances of Scaler do? Or, a link to some more information?

Many thanks

Mac OS 12.6 Monterey MacBook Pro M1
Logic Pro 10.7.4

Scaler2

A virtual instrument version usable on instrument tracks. It is able to detect from audio and
MIDI but also to control external instrument using MIDI routing*.

ScalerAudio2

An audio effect version built for simplifying the analyse of audio content from audio tracks.
Use this version if you wish to detect audio content by playing audio directly on the audio
track Scaler is located on.

ScalerControl2

A version specifically built for DAWs supporting AU MIDI Controlled Effect plugins. It
contains the same detection features and exclusive content as Scaler.
Use this version if your DAW is only compatible with AU plugins, like Logic Pro, and you
wish to control an external instrument from Scaler.

A MIDI effect does not have the ability to output sound so you won’t be able to use Scaler
internal sounds and need to load another instrument on the same track.
*Not compatible with all DAWs. Refer to the manual of your DAW for more information on how to
route audio & MIDI in your software.

Good Morning Jamie, or whatever time of day it is for you.

I’m sorry for the delayed reply; I was enjoying my regular and routine treatment vacation with the amazing NHS.

Thanks for taking the time to try and explain, but still a bit :crazy_face:

1. Scaler Control… why 2, is it just referencing the version of Scaler?

2. Scaler Control controls Scaler via midi by playing a connected keyboard or writing notes on a midi track?

3. Scaler2 is a virtual instrument, so you can play using the built in instruments of Scaler?

4. Would I ever need Scaler2 if I only used other instruments, either stock or third-party instruments?

5. It seems that all three plugins have the same capability to detect the chords from audio and midi, so when would I need ScalerAudio?

Why Scaler 2? Because that’s the name of the Plugin - Scaler 2. When version 3 comes out it will no doubt be called Scaler 3.

Scaler Control as explained in the Manual is for Logic Pro X on the Mac. It’s a MIDI FX and is necessary in Logic X because Logic does not use VST only Audio Unit or AU therefore it needs it’s own version to work on Mac. Since you say you are using Mac OS 12.6 Monterey MacBook Pro M1
Logic Pro 10.7.4 this is what you will use.

Scaler 2 either AU, VST or VST3 is the one most people use. It has it’s own sounds so you can just be up and running but you don’t have to use them. You can route to any number of instruments and play them.
You can run this as an instrument in Logic X but because of the limitations of MIDI in AU plugins it cannot route MIDI. This is due to a limitation of the AU spec and has nothing to do with Scaler.

ScalerAudio2

An audio effect version built for simplifying the analyse of audio content from audio tracks.
Use this version if you wish to detect audio content by playing audio directly on the audio
track Scaler is located on. Scaler 2 Also detects audio by Drag and Dropping an audio file on
to Scaler. You only use Scaler 2 audio if you want to put Scaler directly on and audio track and route audio right into it. Most people never use it. All of these explanations are taken directly from the manual.
You could use the Scaler 2 Audio on an instrument track in Logic X to detect chords from audio files but that’s all it will do in Logic.

I suggest watching Davids great introduction to Scaler for a complete understanding.

You don’t have to answer my post/questions!

I’m not trying to knock Scaler; I’m trying to understand it so I can use it. Obviously, some grasp the concepts sooner than others.

I asked because I didn’t understand the manual or video or as you put it ’ Davids great introduction to Scaler for a complete understanding.’

I thank you for your reply.

I assumed you were asking questions because you would like an answer. I answered as best I could. Hopefully you understand that Scaler 2 Control is the one you should be using in Logic.
What is it you are having trouble with?
You say -

I personally had little issues with Davids videos, is there something missing we could talk you through? There are lots of tutorials besides Davids. @ed66 has many that might help. What else would you like to know to get started? There are several for setting it up in Logic.