Scaler gives me 7 chords for a 16-bar arpeggio?

Hello friends, i just wanted some clarification on an issue:

I have a 16-bar arpeggio that i fed into Scaler 2, and the chords it’s giving me equivalent to the arpeggio is a 7 chord progression (A min, B dim, C maj, D min, E min, F maj, G maj).

I’m just wondering how this works? As i’d like to have the chords supporting the arpeggio, but i’m not sure how to achieve that when the arpeggio is based on 16-bars and the chords span 7 chords, which would mean making chords wouldn’t line up with the arpeggio?

Are you saying you sent a 16 bar MIDI sequence into Scaler to detect? Do you know that there are 16 chords in those bars i.e. a different chord for each bar? You should know that Scaler does not record timing info only chord changes. So if the chord changes are correct you need to determine where the changes occur and time them to the 16 bar sequence. So maybe each chord lasts 2 bars with one lasting 4 bars. Did you create the arpeggio sequence?

Yes, i gave Scaler a 16 bar MIDI sequence, i created the arpeggio with my own chords and Xfer Cthulhu, it might just be me that is lacking in music theory knowledge.

The chord changes seem correct (Again, lack of music theory i can’t really say for certain), would a solution be to time the chords with the arpeggio by, for example seeing if one chord last 2 bars instead of 1 for example?

So if you used Cthulu then you just need to take the chords you detected in Scaler from the sequence and match the timing either by using MIDI notes to trigger the chord pads or matching the timing and order under Edit in Scaler.

Thank you for the reply! And sorry for my ignorance, is there any chance you can elaborate on what you mean by “using MIDI notes to trigger the chord pads”?

Thanks again for the help!

Hi and welcome,

Basically if you bind the pattern to midi then each block in the pattern can be triggered by the white notes in the range C2 to C3. C2 triggers the first block, D2 the second and so on.

There is a tutorial ont using midi to trigger Scaler here.

Davide also has some good videos on the Scaler channel on YouTube.

Basically what @ed66 says here…