Scaler Improvement Opportunities!

Here is some Troll music :wink:

LOL
I imagined a honeyed ending butā€¦
a troll is a troll

Where is my troll delete button? Oh, I donā€™t have oneā€¦ too bad.

AH indeed I do have that button but not worth the press!

This is appalling, and has no place in a group like this of like minded people interacting to see an outstanding product continue to evolve.
Generally, in my experience trolls have very little qualification to criticize and I strongly suspect this is the case here. I have a little background in development (35 years running a software company, 1m+ USD per licence fee, 2000+ man years development), and my take is that conceptually, commercially, architecturally and content-wise Scaler is an outstanding product - see the recent SOS review.
However, when working I used to speak to low level people with limited understanding of application development and exploitation in potential clients, who would comment that the screen would look nicer with a lighter shade of grey. Thereā€™s one in every village, and it seem weā€™ve found ours. .
If he canā€™t be civil, delete it.

I have a week into Scaler and agree completely. The reason it sucks is because 20 year oldā€™s are unaware of what being anything other than 20 is like. Designing ridiculously small font and worse yet, grey over dark grey contrast is cruel.

Greetings @Joel, and welcome to the magical world of Scaler, the land of dwarfen fonts, misty contrasts, and cruel goblins! :wink:

There are a few options to change Scalerā€™s visual appearance. Have you tried these options to change the visual settings of Scaler 2?

You can change the color scheme, see if there is possibly a better contrast version, with any chance to approximating your likingā€¦

You can also zoom into the Scaler plugin via the menu like soā€¦

Or by dragging the lower right window corner outwardsā€¦

With you being new to the Scaler forum, I also want to help you maximize the opportunity to get the support you need by perhaps adjusting your communication style a bit towards productive criticism, such as accompanying the complaint with alternate options & suggestions that would better align with your needs. If you read through this particular thread you get the idea of how these generally helpful folks are eager to support one another if just approached in slightly more respectful manner.

Cheers!
Bernd

5 Likes

Good post, Bernd.

I found the UI a pleasure to work with, particularly in comparison to some VSTs I use. I wish more UI developers would include as many useful options for font and sizing as Scaler offers.

Take care.

Ouch! However, I can see how you are annoyed with my criticism. Yes, I went through the steps you laboriously provided, but you proved my point. Younger eyes are not able to understand what people with older and diminished eyesight have to struggle with. How about trusting me and make a geriatric scheme with a white background, black as black can be lettering and contrasting colors for the text inside the boxes. Hire an older adult, at least 65 that wears glasses for feedback as you go. Even this text box is annoying to my eyes. Grey letters over a white background? I see that everywhere and itā€™s not cool.
CONTRAST CONTRAST CONTRAST

My comment had nothing to do with the features. I love the program, but it hurts my eye to look at it.

ā€œOuchā€? Iā€™m sorry! And I am not annoyed at all, my friend, or I would not have put earnest effort in trying to help you find a compromise within the existing solution. But I think I have a good sense for the general forum community culture, who will always appreciate clear asks over open ended criticism without concrete context how to make it better.

I can totally relate to your issues, actually. It drives me nuts as well, that most modern web design is dark grey font on light gray background. You should hear me curse at my ā€œsmartā€ phone sometimes :wink:

Have you tried in your operating system (I only know Windows) whether there is a visual scheme that presents your applications with better contrast? I know under Windows there are some high-contrast and large font schemes in support of visual impairment.

In my Windows 8.1 the menu is called ā€œEase of Accessā€ā€¦

These settings should trickle down to the individual application levels, such as your DAW and the plugins.

If you look around in your operating system settings, there also are font size options available. In Windows 8.1 it looks like thisā€¦

Be careful now with the generationalism, though, the developers (who are more mature than you presume) may put a liability disclaimer in the usage conditions - and you know how legal disclaimers go, in grey-on-white 8 point font :wink:

1 Like

Hi Joel, everything will be redesigned from the ground up (UI, UX) in the not too distant future. Agreed that it can be tough on the eyes as are many laden featured plugins that have to fit so much into tiny real estate. Thanks for feedback.

2 Likes

Excellent news. Scaler is an amazing tool and I am having fun exploring the features. I hope you run the design past some old eyes for some input. I understand the market is not full of clamoring 70 somethings wanting to learn more and create music but one geriatric screen option wouldnā€™t hurt business. Thank you. Iā€™m looking forward to the upgrade.

Thanks for the Windows tips. I had already had changed the font size, but I will explore the other ideas that you so graciously suggested. Thanks for taking the time to deal with and tolerate my frustration.