Scaler is amazing! The performance mode is such a key!

I think this video is very good. Share it with everyone here

1 Like

Yes it is! Thanks for the video.

I just got hooked on using Scaler with orchestral packs like those from Spitfire. While my initial draw was EDMish style beat making and such, the richness and versatility of an orchestra is just a blast to play with. I do a lot of recursion or playing Scaler’s Perform mode midi output back through Perform mode, recording it and doing it again. This often results in a dense midi tracks with many short duration notes…perfect for quick staccato sounds. Try playing with articulation key switches in realtime…lots of fun!

btw - If you are looking for a free / cheap orchestral vst from the guys that did the library above (Spitfire) take a look at Spitfire’s BBC Discovery. It is cheap (or even free if you give them some info and wait a couple weeks) works great with Scaler and is very easy to use. Here is a short and simple articulation switching example with nothing but Scaler’s Perform Mode and BBC Discovery If you are new to orchestral libraries it is a great resource and the UI is kind fun as it is mapped to how an orchestra sits.

Anyway, I digress. Have fun!

2 Likes

Well instrumented, TMacD. The orchestra is the greatest instrument. I use BBC Discovery and also Epic Brass & Woodwinds, Intimate Strings and Epic Strings by Spitfire. As you say, BBC Discovery can even be obtained for free (they gave it to me). The other 3 I bought, but I only paid € 29 for each great instruments

I might have posted this before, but heh, ho, what is life without whimsy ?

Have a look at Jorden Rudess (Dream Theatre) playing Spitfire’s Discovery.

2 Likes

Thank you @jjfagot

I know little about music composition and this has been a fun journey. I’ve never really considered spending a “lot” of money on instruments as there are so many cool free and inexpensive ones out there (Playbook and Labs for example) . However, now with Scaler and exposure to the orchestra in Discovery’s simple Orchestra 101 format, I completely understand why some spend hundreds or thousands for well designed libraries…and I’m only mucking around on my home computer. :slight_smile:

Recently I started playing with Studio One Pro’s notation feature to help me “see” the music more clearly than just looking at midi notes and wow! Though I have a limited understanding of what much of the notation actually means, even I can start to look at notation and begin to lean towards different kinds of instruments or articulations based what I’m seeing. (hell, I didn’t really know what an articulation was a few weeks ago)

So instead of just looking at Scaler’s midi like I always did:

C maj chord and then that chord in Scalers 1st 4 performance modes - Studio One’s midi editor

Now I can see patterns and shapes that I’m starting to associate with sounds and rhythms. It is like an entire world began opening up.

C maj chord and then that chord in Scalers 1st 4 performance modes - Studio One’s Notation editor

Scaler makes this process dead simple and lets me explore and craft things with some context within in Scaler and then drag them to my DAW to see what I’m hearing. Not only am I learning more about music, I’ve also got more visibility into how Scaler’s settings translate to what I’m hearing.

Please forgive my rambling, as I’m sure none of this is new to you. Maybe however, someone else might stumble onto this thread and look at a bassoon in a whole new light.

1 Like

… and ED was worried about Scaler not having notation as visualisation … all hail drag and drop ! :wink:

2 Likes

It’s true. Dragging and dropping makes Scaler very very great.
Yesterday, taking advantage of the launch offer in EastWest, and thanks to having followed this other forum thread Hollywood OPUS Orchestrator I subscribed for one year to Orchestrator and Opus (and all the great sounds that EastWest includes on ComposerCloud) Introducing Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition - YouTube. I did it because it seemed to me that it would be important in the way I want to make my music (sheet music included). Also because I saw the Guy Michelmore video Eastwest Hollywood Opus [SCORING AND REVIEW] - YouTube
He doesn’t like it that much; he is more traditional, more musician, more composer … But, he is not incompatible with following a good apprenticeship, or looking for new ways based on things that have already succeeded.
The amount of available samples is huge, and they all sound great. In his video, Michelmore made me see that he had an educational version option for 50% of the actual price (in addition to the promotional offer). So for € 10 a month I’m going to have those great sounds and the ability to research how to make those scores. Now the only problem is getting my computer to go faster and not crash with those samples. I will make a video explaining how I have already managed to separate voices and independent midis files in Ableton. Those midis can then be opened and edited in Musecore or any other score editor. At the moment, I’m still making room on my external drives for samples, hehehe
I leave you a couple of images to give you an idea. For now, I tell you that the most wonderful thing is to regain illusion, and I am excited

You can mute or solo anything (woodwinds, brass, percussion or strings). Then you record and then export each track as a midi that you can open in your score editor. I’m pretty sure Mozart had a show like this, :smile: :smile:

2 Likes