to add to @ClaudioPorcellana 's franchise :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you for letting me hear the voice of the universe

1 Like

nice sort-of startrail timelapse and relaxing voices
I love it also because the empty spaces in music, that render the right mood
:grinning:

2 Likes

This is an interesting and rather beguiling piece.

I’m curious as to whether any part of it had aleatoric elements or if you programmed the whole sequence.

LOL, I had to refresh my understanding of that word, and this is what I got…

be•guil•ing

• adj.
    Alluring by guile; deluding; misleading; diverting.

Of course I knew the good intention behind it, and took the dictionary entry with a grain of salt. I totally know what you meant now :slight_smile:

At any rate, to your question… yes, true to my artist name AleaManic, this was auto-composed/self-played, and I just recorded 10 minutes of it, but it could have run in an infinite loop (befitting the universe it allures to : )

The really strange thing (and I was going to name it “Strange Things” but then thought better of it, in lieu of the TV series that probably has a copyright on it) was that I was just noodling around with U-he’s free synth “TripleCheese”, which as the name suggests, sounds rather cheesy, as it is a dumbed down version of its commercial synths. But I realized as CPU friendly as this simple synth is, I could run 16 instances in parallel, over 16 tracks. I could also create 16 clips per track (16x16=-256 clips… fed by Scaler chords).

And then I configured the Play Next feature in Bitwig (Ableton has something similar) where it moves to the next clip in a random fashion. So each of the 16 tracks jumps around between 16 of its 8bar MIDI clips, playing the corresponding synth instance (with different presets). And then on top of it I setup a bunch of LFOs per track to fade in/out slowly (and at varying speeds per track ) the volume and send effects (ZRev and Zebrify also from U-he).

Oh, and not to forget (most importantly, for an acoustic treatment of space): I used 6 instances of the free plugin DearVR, for surround sound panning of various tracks (some of them statically placed in 360 degree stereo image + horiz/vertic pan, and a few others rotating dynamically, ever so slowly). So if you use good headphones to listen to this, you’re in for an extra treat :wink:

I basically setup the “elementary particles”, some laws of physics, and then let the big bang expansion play out. What ultimately came out of it was “an accident”, just like the real universe ; - )

1 Like

Oh, and I let you speculate how I arrived at the visuals :wink: After all, it is based on my personal photography, and not on stock images.

At first glance, I read “startrait” and assumed it was a portmanteau of star+portrait, a genius term actually, the portrait of stars. Come to think of it, we should use it in a musical piece as title (c) 2021 @ClaudioPorcellana :slight_smile:

1 Like

What dictionary were you using ?? The OED gives

beguiling

ADJECTIVE

Charming or enchanting, often in a deceptive way.

… which is what I meant. A quick check through various dictionaries shows that the stated meanings are context dependent, hence a ‘beguiling woman’ implies something different to ‘beguiling music’. Anyway, my take was that it held one’s intention in a way you would not have predicted after the first 20 - 30 seconds, after which the changing random dynamics became apparent.

“use good headphones to listen to this, you’re in for an extra treat”
Sennheiser HD650 - USD 500 at Sam Ash, and they are pretty good, and yes, I could hear the nuances that would have been missed on Walkman ear pods…

That was some mammoth set up to put that all together; it was probably a good thing that synths were lightweight, or you would have needed a xenon 9282 set up to run them all … I’m impressed !

“After all, it is based on my personal photography”
That’s interesting , because it’s hard to find anywhere where the skies are ‘dark’ in urban environments; virtually every part of England has light pollution. It’s maybe hard for many Americans to get a handle in how small England is - the point which is furthest from the sea is just 70 miles from the coast. So presumably you didn’t take the shots from back yard in Portland ?

The best night sky I’ve encountered is at 4°19′48″S 55°44′48″E ; the island of Praslin in the Indian Ocean - a favourite holiday spot for me. Incredible views of the night sky from the equator.

““the “elementary particles”, some laws of physics””
I looked up U-he as I had never heard of them. Right next to Triple Cheese was a synth called Podolsky, which might have thus been a more appropriate choice. Amateur physics buffs are familiar with the Podolsky- Rosen paradox which questioned quantum views of ‘locality’. Sort of seemed a coincidence …

I can beat you all with my vast array of modern dictionaries

Concise Oxford Emglish Dictionary
**beguile
■ verb
charm or enchant. :arrow_forward:trick into doing something.
literary help (time) pass pleasantly.

beguilement noun
beguiler noun
beguiling adjective
beguilingly adverb

ME: from be- + obs. guile ‘to deceive’ (see guile).

Concise Oxford Thesaurus

beguiling
:arrow_forward: adjective CHARMING, enchanting, entrancing, charismatic, captivating, bewitching, spellbinding, hypnotizing, mesmerizing, magnetic, alluring, enticing, tempting, inviting, seductive, irresistible; informal come-hither.

unappealing.
beguile

:arrow_forward: verb
she was beguiled by its beauty: CHARM, attract, enchant, entrance, win over, woo, captivate, bewitch, spellbind, dazzle, hypnotize, mesmerize, seduce.
the programme has been beguiling children for years: ENTERTAIN, amuse, delight, please, occupy, absorb, engage, distract, divert, fascinate, enthral, engross.

repel, bore.

WordNet® 3.0 (En-En)

beguiling
adjective

1. highly attractive and able to arouse hope or desire (Freq. 1)
  • an alluring prospect
  • her alluring smile
  • the voice was low and beguiling
  • difficult to say no to an enticing advertisement
  • a tempting invitation
    • Syn: ↑alluring, ↑enticing, ↑tempting
    • Similar to: ↑seductive
    • Derivationally related forms: ↑temptingness (for: ↑tempting)
  1. misleading by means of pleasant or alluring methods
  • taken in by beguiling tales of overnight fortunes
    • Similar to: ↑dishonest, ↑dishonorable
    beguile
    verb
  1. influence by slyness (Freq. 1)
    • Syn: ↑juggle, ↑hoodwink
    • Derivationally related forms: ↑beguiler, ↑jugglery (for: ↑juggle)
    • Hypernyms: ↑cheat, ↑rip off, ↑chisel
    • Verb Frames:
  • Somebody ----s somebody
  • Somebody ----s (for: ↑juggle)
  1. attract; cause to be enamored (Freq. 1)
  • She captured all the men’s hearts
    • Syn:
    ↑capture, ↑enamour, ↑trance, ↑catch, ↑becharm, ↑enamor, ↑captivate, ↑charm, ↑fascinate, ↑bewitch, ↑entrance, ↑enchant
    • Derivationally related forms:
    ↑enchantment (for: ↑enchant), ↑entrancement (for: ↑entrance), ↑bewitchery (for: ↑bewitch), ↑fascination (for: ↑fascinate), ↑charmer (for: ↑charm), ↑charm (for: ↑charm), ↑beguilement, ↑beguiler, ↑captive (for: ↑captivate), ↑captivation (for: ↑captivate), ↑catch (for: ↑catch), ↑trance (for: ↑trance)
    • Hypernyms: ↑attract, ↑appeal
    • Hyponyms: ↑hold, ↑work
    • Verb Frames:
  • Somebody ----s somebody
  • Something ----s somebody
  • The performance is likely to beguile Sue**

@ClaudioPorcellana - the Google for Linguistics :wink:

1 Like

And for the sake of Scaler website traffic :rofl:

Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary 3th Ed. (En-En)
beguiling
beguiling UK US [ bɪˈgaɪ.lɪŋ ] adjective
interesting or attractive
• That’s a beguiling argument, but I’m not convinced by it.
Thesaurus +: [Attractive] [Sexual attraction] [Smart and elegant]
Derived: beguilingly

Collins COBUILD V3

beguiling
beguiling [ADJ-GRADED]
Something that is beguiling is charming and attractive. (WRITTEN)
Mombasa is a town with a beguiling Arabic flavour.
→beguilingly[ADV-GRADED: ADV adj, ADV with v]
He was beguilingly boyish and attractive.

Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 5th Ed. (En-En)

beguiling
be‧guil‧ing /bɪˈɡaɪlɪŋ/ BrE AmE adjective
attractive and interesting:
a beguiling smile
—beguilingly adverb

Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English Extras 5th Ed. (En-En)

beguiling
adjective
EXAMPLES FROM OTHER ENTRIES
:black_small_square: beguiling green eyes
EXAMPLES FROM CORPUS
:black_small_square: By no means the most beguiling feature about this outstanding car, but a unique offer that could be a trend setter.
:black_small_square: If it all tasted as beguiling as it looks, every dish would be a feast.
:black_small_square: It is highly beguiling, but it has power to stifle and to kill.
:black_small_square: It sounds a beguiling idea, but a little reflection shows that it will not be so straight forward to achieve.
:black_small_square: Paul Verhoeven has a track record of movies so offensive they are perversely beguiling.
:black_small_square: The Introduction to the Finale is given with a beguiling simplicity, and therein lies the key to this performance.
:black_small_square: The odd one out in my list is in many ways the most beguiling.
:black_small_square: Whole shelves in libraries are devoted to the ramifications of this beguiling game.

Macmillan English Dictionary (En-En)

beguiling
beguiling UK [bɪˈɡaɪlɪŋ] US adjective
a beguiling person or thing seems attractive and interesting, but may be dangerous
Thesaurus: words used to describe attractive people or things synonym interesting synonym beautiful
Derived Word: beguilingly

Merriam-Webster’s Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (En-En)

beguiling
beguiling adj [more ~; most ~]
a beguiling [=charming] melody
a beguiling temptress
The movie is a beguiling blend of humor and tragedy.
• • •
Main Entry: ↑beguile

Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Thesaurus (En-En)

beguiling
adjective
Synonyms: misleading, deceiving, deceptive, deluding, delusive, delusory, fallacious, false

Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary 8th Ed.

beguiling
be·guil·ing f73 [ beguiling beguilingly ] BrE [bɪˈɡaɪlɪŋ] NAmE [bɪˈɡaɪlɪŋ] adjective ( formal )
attractive and interesting but sometimes mysterious or trying to trick you
• beguiling advertisements
• Her beauty was beguiling.
• This is perhaps the most beguiling resort on the island.
Derived Word: ↑beguilingly

Oxford Collocations Dictionary 2nd Ed. (En-En)

beguiling
adj.
Beguiling is used with these nouns: ↑smile

The Chambers Thesaurus (En-En)

beguiling
adj
alluring, appealing, attractive, bewitching, captivating, charming, delightful, diverting, enchanting, entertaining, interesting, intriguing, enticing, seductive
≠ offensive, repulsive

this is not Google
I own most of those dictionaries

yes yes, I was certain that that’s what you meant. And always assume good intent from everybody here, and especially my favorite fellow debaters :wink:

One English language curiosity, it was drilled into me that “further” means conceptually more distant, but “farther” geographic/physically more distant. Does it matter? Country/dialect dependent?

“Mammoth setup” - I have a 2013 i5 (4 core, 3.2Ghz), but with 32GB RAM. I had once a 64 instance Scaler ensemble, which attests to how CPU-friendly Scaler is.
It also depends on how you distribute the synths, under Bitwig there is heavy multi-threading happening, which is a good thing.

Re: Photography … think Hollywood… make-believe - not everything is what it seems.

Google as a concept (your dictionaries will surely tell you that “to google” something is an established linguistic term now) - a human search engine

This and this is real.

And this is unreal.

lucky guy: I would raise my RAM, but I cannot with my motherboard

Maybe next Christmas if I am good enough, and avoid any gross sexism

Santa is monitoring my quips already :rofl:
babbo natale2

that difficult, hm? :wink:

1 Like

I am 20 km away from Turin (big city) and yet this is real

Jupiter

starry sky (the light below is Turin)

The Moon God (the technical explanation here)

This lake for example?

I suspect that’s the same planet prominently showing here too (9 hours later, obviously)