Scaler Multi Out MIDI capture in AUM

When I overlay tracks 2-5 in the piano roll, they are all coincident. No worries… I’m happy to wait until Simon can break down what I’m doing wrong.

If you followed my suggestions (Exercise plan), you have done nothing wrong. You’re recording the output from Scaler as is, there is not a lot you can do about that. I feel you expected something else, maybe Simon can help you further.

@ yostopia

Can you do this to help me understand ?

Gary can you post an image of your Logic Mixer (press X) rather than the piano roll so I can see if you have armed MIDI recording correctly for all reChannel instances. I suspect that’s where the problem is…

I also highly recommend MusicTechHelpGuy on YT has has fantastic free Logic Pro tutorials on YT - basically how I learnt!

Here’s what the mixer looks like when I load Elmo’s file. And MusicTechHelpGuy got me where I am today, which has been enough to make music to my heart’s content, but obviously not enough for me to understand how to do this with reChannel. FYI I am not an idiot, but seem to be impersonating one pretty well on this forum.

Can you do this to help me understand ?

I can’t, because I can’t generate those tracks.

All I need is a simple set of steps that I can follow to make these routing and track assignments. You know, something like:

1. do this
  2. do that
  3. do this other thing

result: you get this

1. then do this
  2. finally, do this

result: voila… all the tracks are rendered.

Hi @ yostopia

Where do you want to start ? Start Logic, make a new project ?
Not now in the next few days.

I can assure you, you are not being an idiot - remember there is no such thing as a dumb question. You are doing far better than I in Logic after only a short time. And the setup with reChannel is not trivial to understand for a person with limited experience.

To be honest, extracting Scalar Multi Out MIDI to separate tracks within Logic is a relatively complex exercise. Is this something that is “essential” for your music making right now?

You could focus on having a Logic project with say 4 tracks, and use Scaler to generate a chord progression on Track 1, Track 2 use a Scaler Bass performance mode to create a bass line, Track 3 perhaps an arpeggiated piano sequence from Scaler and keep track 4 for you to perhaps play some sort of lead solo.

How confident do you feel at doing this? In all honesty, this is all that Scaler Multi Out is doing with the ability to route that to a multi-timbral external instrument.

There is an error in the Channel Strip on Track 2 related to the “Record MIDI to Track Here”. If that statement you don’t immediately understand and can’t spot the problem, you might be trying to run before you can walk. You are trying to use advanced Scaler and Logic MIDI routing.

I grant you the process I described for the iPad requires some simple AirDrops between devices but initially could be simpler for you until your confidence and knowledge within Logic increases. The iPad process works now and can get you started and might avoid frustration in Logic for now.

I will still develop another Logic template and share with you. But it will take me a few days to build and test it before sharing - and I have other commitments over the weekend. The simple steps you asked @elmo5 for would require some time to develop and test to confirm they are correct. It is much more complex than what I prepared for the iPad and AUM. I hope you appreciate this…

Cheers, Simon

Gary @yostopia I had an appointment cancelled and have made a Logic project. It uses only Logic delivered instruments and the project has tracks with populated MIDI data so you can see that it works!

1. Work on a copy of this file
  2. Change the Scaler instance on Track 1 to your preferred chords etc
  3. Delete the MIDI on all tracks
  4. Place Logic play head where you want to start recording
  5. Make sure all Tracks are Record enabled (red R in Track header)
  6. Record (press R or Record button in Logic toolbar). Each track will look like chords are being recorded but don’t panic when you stop recording reChannel will do it’s magic.

Good luck

@elmo5 just in case you are interested…

@ Simpl3Sim0n

We have both made a big mistake !!
We haven’t explained how to set up the IAC driver bus
That is why my second file

doesn’t use it

P.S. I have now learned how to fix my “error”, it makes no difference. The place in the path is important.

I guess because I had already used Audio MIDI Setup to manage various things - like using my iPad as an IDAM MIDI host - I did not have to set up an IAC driver bus - I’m sure I did mention checking the IAC driver to @yostopia before, but I could be mistaken…

Out of interest is there such a thing as a manual for reChannel or did you work out how to set it up and get it to work?

@Simpl3Sim0n

Please note the following.
I have several midi software programs.
WA Instacomposer AI makes 5 channels of midi, works fine in Logic AU with the IAC driver to send out 5 channels simultaneously. So this can be done.
A second software reMidi is a midisampler this can’t do the above alone so the developers made reChannel to fix it. i.e split the midi. I knew exactly what to do with it when I saw it,
A couple of months ago Scaler introduced the multi out feature which can only output to a multi timbral instrument like Kontakt for example. so I fixed that problem for Logic with reChannel,
after watching Davide Scaler 2.7 intro videos found this forum, someone wanted a fix for separate midi outs from Scaler to drive the BBCSO Discover software, I found 3 solutions.

I would suggest you remove the file you made it only records Instrument 2 on my system

Using your Logic file as a guide I created my own master for separating Scaler Multi Out tracks; setup and tested, so all good thanks! My file saves 5 MIDI tracks in my version of Logic - my IAC Driver is named IAC Driver Bus 2, not 1, maybe that is the issue.

The reChannel solution is great but I think it’s hard to make a perfect ‘file’ that will always work seamlessly on everybody’s system as we all have slightly different setups for various reasons.

I am not fully competent with a lot of this MIDI technical stuff lol. I’m grateful that you shared your knowledge. I suspect @yostopia will most likely have to tweak your, or my, Logic file to make either work properly on his system. For example, every time I open my Logic file, one or more of the Tracks is not armed to Record at the time of loading.

@yostopia the link below explains how to setup an IAC Driver bus

Another useful tip is saving the Channel Strip for the Master and Slave tracks in my Logic file I shared with you. In the Mixer view on Track 1, right-click on the Setting field and select “Save Channel Strip as…” from the displayed menu and name it. Now in any new project you can simply click on the Setting field and select that Channel Strip name and the Track will be automatically set up as a Master reChannel Channel Strip. Do the same with one of the other Tracks to save a ‘Slave’ reChannel track. You just need to remember to manually change the MIDI channel in the reChannel plugin

Simon

@elmo and @yostopia I just noticed another issue … you need to make sure in your Project Settings > Recording that Count-in is set to None else you lose MIDI information. Scaler sends MIDI data immediately and does not recognise any set Count-in value.

Or is that a bug in Scaler?

@Simpl3Sim0n

Please don’t misunderstand me.

“I am a noob” and followed your instructions exactly, I heard nothing and as a result recorded nothing.

Elmo kicks in why not, takes a look Missing IAC driver 2, switch that to Driver 1, Instrument 2 does what it should.

Obviously this works for you, as do my files for me, possibly @yostopia will need something made on his computer with Logic. That is what I proposed yesterday.

Scaler 2.7 was/is buggy in Logic, Davide says not - for what he does it may not be.
When Logic boots sometimes the Scaler control 2 AU is not loaded, fix with Plugin Manager, Sometimes Scaler doesn’t play at all (my fix - Dump the midi content of what you want to hear on the channel to wake it up or drag something into C) that is now better after 2.7.1, and sometimes notes hang that is still the case. The sync function is also not as it should be, I have leader and follower the wrong way round, and or follower is empty.

But heh if you insert it in a midi MFX slot with Kontakt or Omnisphere and it works, instead of abusing it like I do fine. The program is OK and the improvements are worth the niggles. The 2.7 version update is a good idea

I don’t use Kontakt or Omnisphere since I don’t own them. I use Falcon or Hyperion if I want to use Multi Out as delivered.

Personally, I just use Scaler to generate some ideas and progressions and then I’ll compose and record my own guitar, piano, synths whatever.

The whole Multi Out discussion came about thru just trying to help @yostopia solve some of his issues. Hence my initial iPad solution and then working with reChannel after you introduced me to it.

I’ve not experienced the issues you’ve noted in Logic in Logic myself. I generally capture MIDI in Scaler rather than record and drag it into Logic. I don’t think I’m a very sophisticated Scaler user lol.

But I’ve learnt a lot on our short journey together…

Simon, you did it! You found a way to explain it with such a clear example and set of steps… I’m in!

The only snag I hit was with the IAC driver, which I’d have never known about without you having sent me that video explaining it. When I used your demo file I heard nothing, so went into the IAC and found that it was only set up for Bus 1, and your demo was set up for Bus 2. I added Bus 2 and everything magically started working!!! (!!!)

There are reasons why I want to use both this method and the more traditional way of using Scalar in different performance modes to output tracks one-and-a-time (which is how I have been using Scalar until now). FANTASTIC!

Super grateful. This forum is such a great place!

-g

PS: Also thanks to your recommendation, I put my collection of songs about Mt. Tamalpais up on Bandcamp this morning. Tamalpais Rising | yostopia

Gary so glad it’s all working for you now.

The IAC driver could be any number you would just need to change in the external instrument setting on Track 1

Well done re Bandcamp I will endeavour to listen over the weekend…

1 Like