Scaler vs. RapidComp

This is a great deal! If I didn’t have I would get it at this price for sure.

Based on your comment, I decided to go for it to investigate it’s capabilities. The USD 119 mapped to GBP 104, an exchange rate of 1.144 (as opposed to market rate of 1.20 (which is actually a better rate than most US companies which often use 1 to 1), but I forgot VAT (value added tax) which is 20% here.

That always used to get me in the US … things in shops appeared to be priced before sales tax, whereas in the UK everything is shown as the taxed price.

I’m relaxed … music is one of my few indulgences and for two years I’ve had nothing to spend my pension on, so hey, ho.

1 Like

I am sure that a researcher and musical person like you will make good use of every penny spent on RC. Congratulations

i still have to wait another 2 weeks for my first paycheck, by then the RC deal might be over. But I had been eyeing that tool for quite a while as well…

:frowning_face:

The installation crashed with errors and it didn’t install the VSTs. Everything else is working fine, and it’s unlikely to be a machine issue given the ballsy size of my box, but my first experience of it is diagnostics rather than playing…

When I went to buy it after I trialed it I was afraid the deal would run out by the time my check came as well. The Dev was very accommodating.

Oh that looks very interesting if it can be subtle. The thing I like about RC is you can usually be as subtle as you like.

The Dev is very responsive on his forum. You’re Windows so I can’t be of service.

Thanks for that comment.

The issues were (a) setting the ASIO driver to a non installed generic driver (every other install recognises the MOTU interface (b) putting VST’s in the wrong place in spite of defining a target location, along with a few other snafu’s. [Why insist on a location for 32 bit VST’s when you are not going to install them ?]

So it now fires up.

There seem to be a lot of options, so I have to decide between my default way of dealing with any new software (clicking round and seeing what happens - bit it’s a bit more structure than that) or checking out YT for a few “RC for Noobs” vids.

The most important thing, however, is to figure out how to render unto Scaler the things that are Scaler’s and to RC for things that should be handled there; what’s the way of working?

I would recommend a couple videos to get the mind set, and asking Mr. @jjfagot since I will defer to him as the resident expert.
For myself I use RC for the fingerpicking patterns if I am using guitar. I love bring a set of performances via MIDI D&D into RC from Scaler and using the subtle ways of creating variations with the RC tools. There are many more. I always start with progressions from Scaler into RC as it’s much faster for me.
RC handles legato whereas Scaler does not.

2 Likes

Hi Yorkeman.
I’m glad you solved the installation problems.
In principle, you know that you can use RC as a standalone application and as a VSTi in a DAW. I would recommend that you first familiarize yourself with the program by using it as a stand-alone application. You can then insert RC as VSTi and directly dump your tracks into the DAW

On the Music Developments page you have a very complete start guide:
Quick Start Guide
as a written guide with images at all times. Also, as you will see in the attached image, you have many useful videos to learn how to use the program.

In any case, when you have doubts, you write to me, without problems

Note: You can directly insert Scaler 2.5 onto any RC track, and you can select any chord progression in Scaler and drag it onto the RC Chord Master Lane. In RC the chords will arrive with their durations

4 Likes

I have to give a little more praise to the RC program. I haven’t learned much about using it, but slowly I’m starting to realize the basics and the use and features of the program. It has a huge amount of everything and also gives a lot of creative ideas. I especially like the Fingerpicking Generator. It can be used nicely on a nylon guitar, for example. It makes sense to learn that program first as a fully self-contained program and forget about the entire DAW until you learn to use it better. Then when you have time and learn enough, you can take DAW with you and things will get better than that, of course you will get better using non-RC players.

1 Like

Indeed, there is still much to learn. I opened the RC in Logic Pro X and noticed that I can’t draw midi tracks to Logic. Is this even possible?

The Melody Editor tab has a point where you can drag them to the DAW with the mouse Why doesn’t the Composition tab have that feature? How can I transfer midi tracks to Dawi?

I don’t have Logic and I can’t answer that. I am sorry. It seems strange that this happens to you.

Download the manual in pdf at:

I enclose a screenshot of the operation of dragging midi to your DAW from RC

Dragging the whole composition
Use Ctrl-drag on the file icon. Muted tracks will not be included. You can select a section to
drag by making a timeline selection.
Dragging to single track
Ctrl-drag the track name. You can select a section to drag by making a timeline selection.
Dragging selected phrases as MIDI
Ctrl-Alt-Shift+drag phrases

From RapidComposer in Reaper, sending Scaler, ChordPotion and EW Opus and Numa Player
The video receives the midi channels in VS (Imaginando)
Emociones - YouTube

1 Like

Interesting piece. What’s supplying the actual sounds. Numa Player must be the piano. The strings from EW Opus I assume. What’s the glass rubbed synth? And the images are created how?

Normally it costs €99, but yesterday they had an offer for €19.8 (-80%) and I bought it. There are very few hours left until the offer ends. I hope you arrive on time.

Yes, Numa Player is the Piano, and EW Opus, the Strings. The synth is a Moving Pad from the new Synth Forbidden Planet, also from EW Opus.
I made the song in Rapid Composer. I used a progression I had made in Scaler and dragged the chords onto the RC chord line. There I changed ideas several times, but the string voice was fixed from the beginning with a Chord Generator. Anyway, there are 3 voices that I send to Scaler (in Reaper) so that they can be sent from there:
midi channel 2 (the chords) to an instance of Opus Orchestrator (Strings Longs). In turn, midi channel 1 (another RC track) is sent to 2 instances of ChordPotion (using the Piano Sessions Ballad 2 and Ballad 5 presets). One of the ChordPotions goes to other instances of Opus Strings, and the other to Numa Player.
As for the synthesizer, it is a Pad (moving pad) from Forbidden Planet (also from EW Opus). This picks up RC channel 3, which I generated with a Melody Generator
These 3 midi channels are sent to a preset that I selected in VS (Imaginando) separating the 3 layers of images that move with the pulses of the midi channels. Speeds, brightnesses (and many more things) can be adjusted on VS image layers. Naturally, it is very intuitive to use. In fact, I’m learning to use it (I bought it yesterday, and I’ve already been able to put it into practice in this video). I hope to make better videos, adjusting speeds and transitions between layers better. I’m liking it, and the offer was irrefutable
I leave here the Scaler file to be able to use it directly without RC. I insist that I used it only to send the chords to RC
Emociones Ab.xml (11.6 KB)