Scaler with UJAM guitars and no hassle, how?

@ClaudioPorcellana Each to their own I guess. All the reviews I have read and my own experience have been very positive toward UJAM guitars. It is good to have multiple tools in your toolbox.

1 Like

OK, I’ll do decidedly a try and let you know
thanks for now
:grinning:

@courtjestr I tried midiForceToRange but I was unable to make any use
:thinking:

I have a suspect now: when you say you can control Strum GS-2, what mode of Strum GS-2 do you control?

In other words do you control Strum GS-2 in the Keyboard, Guitar or Loop mode?

I never use the Keyboard mode

I often use the Guitar mode, putting Scaler in 1st track, a MIDI track fed by Scaler in the 2nd track, then a preferred Strum GS-2 loop into the Strum GS-2 track, but when I search for more original patterns, I use the workflow explained here and here

In these 2 workflows I find that MIDI Polysher is very convenient, and I suspect that midiForceToRange cannot add anything, but please tell me if I am wrong :grinning:

@ClaudioPorcellana I was using Strum GS-2 in Loop mode. However, I was suggesting midiForceToRange more to address your original problem where you could not get Scaler to produce chords in Sparkle’s playable area. midiForceRange does that simply and elegantly. MIDI Polysher requires way more effort to do a similar thing (if indeed it actually can do that).

However, I think in your described workflows you are not actually wanting to force Scaler’s output to the chord detection range of the VSTi. In both your topics “Scaler feeding both chords and riffs” and “Scaler is good at psychedelia”, it looks like the only thing you are using Polyser for is to filter out certain notes from Scaler that would mess with Strum. That is not what midiForceToRange does, so you would not use it for that purpose.

1 Like

Yesterday I tried midiForceToRange, and I found it actually more difficult than MIDI Polysher, mainly due to the sliders that are difficult to move accurately, compared to the “+” and “-” buttons of MIDI Polysher

it looks like the only thing you are using Polyser for is to filter out certain notes from Scaler that would mess with Strum

Not only that: I ALWAYS use it ALSO to move semitones (not octaves) up and down until I hear something interesting, so the moral of the story is, as usual, YMMV
:grinning:

Thanks for your insights anyway

I want to revitalize this thread for 2 reasons:

first, as an homage to my lamented friend Carlos, always so generous with tips and insight
and second, because I found a way to increase UJAM VG possibilities driving it with 2 Scaler instances

I wrote already a post about that way, but later I’ll load on SoundCloud a soulful ballad composed with Scaler 2 and UJAM VG Sparkle

So I can close telling that UJAM VG has a few patterns indeed, but together with Scaler they are multiplied to the nth power

1 day? :joy: Yes, it’s a steep learning curve, but the pay off was worth it.

Hi Ben

even the worse of my free SW has some sort of IFU & support
so yes: their poor manual & lacking support are not worth to me
but YMMV

cheers

Ive found my answer to the UJam… not sure if anyone else is using this method…unless ive missed it

I use EZbass to run both Ujam striinnngs and Guitar…fabulous…just using midi (drag n drop) midi from EZ keys into EZbass or any midi into drum and keys left hand or rhythm and chords.

the best thing is that you can use all the patterns in EZbass…the way to use is to utilise the Velocity Amount Damping and Length …get any midi from eZbass load editor and just just the amount to your liking …absoulely brilliant no issues…multiple midi in Ujam guitar just to your liking then pull into EZbass editor…really loving what you can achieve…

also with Striiiinnngs… anyone else…thousands more possibilities… please let me have your thoughts…

if you haven’t tried please do…

I don’t think I’ll try
I didn’t like the apparently many, but actually few and repetitive, riffs and uninstalled it
But I can resell Sparkle discounted if you like it :grin:

I was very disappointed with UJAM so I bought Native Instruments Electric Mint and Electric Sunburst Deluxe. Much better, more flexible than UJAM and the sounds are fantastic. Even better, you can setup guitar parameters, amps and pedals.
A few days ago, they were on sale for 50% off. My first test with these instruments.

1 Like

That’s the whole point when using Ezbass as midi controller u can use the midi parts in Ezbass and then control the amount of strums length and velocity

Thousands more patterns easy drag and drop midi from any midi and Ezkey/scaler

Totally change my thoughts on Ujam
Looking to get braaasssss

I am rather looking for Toontrack guitars, and possibly an updated Ezkeys, he he

about the brass I am having more fun with Scaler MMO and Xpand!2

Xspand 2 - £10 at plug-in boutique !!!

Yes, I see
I had it for free together with a keyboard years ago, and I still use it extensively today

Its distorted triple attack guitar with a credible Larssen effect is unique IMHO

No plugin in the market that claims to produce that effect works to me, but their Larssen effect works like a charm, and even that effect alone justifies having the whole stuff

For my fellow guitarists: Another day i tried Audiority.com VST guitar “pedals”. Inexpensive, and the quality is really very good. Some of them are even free.
I like very much the one that emulates Electro Harmonics’ Electric Mistress but also the green one emulating Ibanez Tube Screamer.

1 Like

Thanks, @Miki

Luckily enough, the monkey on my back gone into hibernation under the snow :rofl:

Or better, she is tapping my shoulder about this “plugin:cold_face:

1 Like

I realise that this thread is months old by now, but I thought I’d post here with my question, as it relates directly to a UJAM plugin and Scaler. Otherwise - Mod(s) please just bump this to a new thread.

I’ve just started using UJAM’s excellent (IMO) nylon strung guitar plugin VG-SILK (insane sale price currently on PluginBoutique).

All’s going fine insofar as I have Scaler at the front, and a set of chords in Pattern 1. Allowing for the peculiar design of UJAM (in that nothing below C3 is a playable note) I have no issues at all playing all of the chords in Pattern 1 by pressing C1 etc. on my controller.

My problem begins once I start laying chords into Pattern 2. It’s perfectly possible I’m missing a setting or something but…

unlike Pattern 1, where each key on my controller triggers the next chord in the pattern, in Pattern 2 pressing C1 now insists on triggering the UJAM plugin at C2 i.e. I cannot replay a chord, instead the first chord in Scaler Pattern 2 now triggers UJAM’s own pattern player.

What I need to be able to do is lay out about five or six Patterns in Scaler (Pattern 1 - Pattern 6) and have EACH chord in EACH pattern trigger that chord in UJAM. I cannot seem to manage this at present.

Any advice or tips anyone?

Hi

If I remember well, all versions 1 have a bug:
nevertheless the Scaler settings or the filter you put before the UJAM guitar, the Stop button is hit at each bar, ruining any pattern you or Scaler could drive

This is why I always hated UJAMs before they updated some guitar to Version 2

So, the reason to buy this Version 1 tool discounted, is that you’ll be able to have the Version 2 discounted when devs launch it

2 Likes

Thank you for this ClaudioP,

I’m pleased at least that it’s not ‘me’ and it’s a shortcoming of the plugin.

You caused me to look and I was a little surprised… despite this thing only cost me 19 euros in a sale, and the sounds themselves are great, it’s Version 1.0.0 from 2017!!

There is a lesson learned here for me (I’m happy to learn. I’m very new to all of this) which is to look in a little more depth before buying. There was a demo version available, which I did install first, but somehow the limitations weren’t evident.

I entirely agree that if one can, playing a guitar is often quicker than all this messing about!!

What I’m now doing is re-scoring the entire piece without using Scaler’s “Pattern” at all, and just using Scaler to show me the chord structure for each part, which I write in manually… Lessons learned and all that.

Further to other comments above, I really like NI stuff, but I find them a bit expensive.

The particular issue I have is, I think, actually Scaler. I’m guessing that in fact each bank of Patterns" is stored sequential to the previous. So in fact the first slot in Pattern 2 isn’t in fact C1 at all, it’s now C2 - which is why the UJAM plugin is behaving as it is?