Scaler with UJAM guitars and no hassle, how?

you are right
unfortunately I have an intrinsic attitude to simplify everything, and I must force myself to create more than one Scaler
LOL

BTW @jamieh
don’t you think that UJAM guitar patterns are too few?

I was sad thinking that Strum GS-2 has so few patterns, but UJAM are way less SOB
with the further drawback that UJAM has no MIDI, refills or expansions to add, differently from Strum GS-2 developers that have many Sound Packs, and are working on a Jazz pack

UJAM is very shallow on the amount and variety of patterns most of the guitar patterns are very similar and get old pretty fast. What the make up for in sound they kill the whole thing by giving such a narrow amount of styles. It’s too bad. If they could expand as you say that could make up for it.

Yes, this is exactly what I found using it a few days
I’ll ask them if there are plans for sound packs
otherwise, I’ll come back to Strum-GS

I also tried the Ample Sound guitar: its advantage is the open structure and the MIDI editor
but the manual and assistance, etc are awful
I issued a refund after 1 day

Very interesting thread started for Claudio. I am user of some UJAM products,

Even as a guitarist I use UJAM virtual guitars plugins because they are a charm to use , but also because for recordings average work they do what I could do as a “real” guitarist, which is very frequent too, but it is good to reflect as these plugins facilitate life to those who do not play guitar, so they leave me without job lol

But there is a ‘not standard’ reason too. Here in my country In crisis it is very expensive to get and buy guitar strings, so, UJAM VG save me some budget, aside these cute plugins save me the work of setting all the necessary gear for a recording.

So I keep my guitars for high importance recordings and of course when I should record lead and soloing, or parts that require a “human intervention”, although I must confess that Carbon is incredible and sometimes it makes me jealous LOL.

It was a coincidence that a few days ago I was also testing Sparkle and I recorded a song, watching this post I produce this simple video. I use MIDI Polysher at +12 and Grouping C3-B4, and all run fine that way.

In the demo song I use 4 Scaler 2.3 instances , for Sparkle, bass, pads and staccato strings and third plugins as is described in the video.

There are two videos, one with the full song for get Sparkle in perspective with other instruments and other with just the backing track for detailed Sparkle guitar audition.

“The Chordial Funk”
SCALER2 3 UJAM SPARKLE demo

Carlos

1 Like

Thanks for information @carlosbiab

Nevertheless, consider that I was sad thinking that Strum GS-2 has so few patterns, but UJAM are way less!

With the further drawback that UJAM has no MIDI, refills or expansions to add, differently from AAS Strum GS-2 developers that produced many Sound Packs, and are working now on a Jazz pack

Moreover, UJAM patterns are rarely in the arpeggio style

At this point, also considering the wonderful AAS Strum GS-2 “Guitar” option that let you use many patterns in the same track, even patterns from different styles, I think UJAM is a no-go

BTW, the trick of increasing octaves to feed UJAM has a further drawback: I use Broomstick Bass before Toontrack EzBass because BB follows the guitar automatically and its metronome sound as a basic drums

This way I can have just fun and test Scaler & Strum GS-2 patterns one after the other with zero hassle

But having Scaler feeding higher octaves, means that I must put another MIDI Polysher to lower octaves, otherwise Broomstick Bass strikes, and it’s a mess to me

To sum it up UJAM drawbacks:
it has too few patterns, way less than Strum GS-2, and zero chances to add
the tricks I must use to feed them, kills a significant part of my fun
being sample-based they cripple my old weak office PC

1 Like

For me all those guitar plugins are complementary since I play my parts myself the most of times, the limitations almost do not affect me because at the moment they appear I have my own instruments at hand and I recorded it with those. I think it is truly difficult to get a virtual guitar simulator that does everything perfect, but I have learned to get “the maximum of the minimum”.

As for Ujam, I think they move at the marketing level with the concept of making music quickly and easy , within reach of those who even do not play anything, and for me they achieve it very well. But yes, if I have noticed the UJAM guitar limitations that you mention, for example, getting an arpeggio is truly hard! Except in the VG Silk (Nylon Acoustic Guitar).

I use some tricks when I need more types of chords from tools like Ujam and similar, which apart from the disminished chord, has no altered seventh or more complex chords than Majors, Minor, Sus, 7ma, etc. .

To explain the Tip, I record a bass with a fundamental note as a audition reference basis, for example D, then I play Ujam chords and inversions in other tonalities, so a C Dim chord may sound like a D7B9 with the low in D And a Ab major chord may sound like a D7 (+5) (b9) with the low D, I build a library where the bass “cheats” the harmony. The same I do with Band-in-a-Box which have impressive pre-recorded acoustic steel guitar RealTracks. Obviously that can be time consuming, but I get fun a lot by doing it, taking the maximum from each tool.

Also I use my guitar with GK-3 to combine synth sound textures with guitar and create other sounds that often make everything different and interesting sound. There are many ways to explore! BTW, I remember much of the BroomStick Bass! I used it a lot, and I’m thinking about reinstall it again after reading you. It is a very fun plugin. Although most of the time I record my own basses, except hard type synth ones, but also use Biab and Ujam Bassist Which I Think Are Woderfull! Mellow is impressive.

And definitely, yes, Strum GS-2 is fantastic and advanced tool. I am glad you count on it.

This a demo I recorded for UJAM NEMESIS, include also VG IRON for the intro guitar, of course the lead guitar is real, not cyber LOL. Scaler 2 is used for chord block in two vsti synths.

2 Likes

he he he Sven will give me a commission for that :rofl:
anyway, in Reaper you can use it natively
otherwise, I think you have to buy iBridge

the funny thing with BB (apart having the same initials of Brigitte Bardot) is that you can add articulation manually during the automatic functioning using the Modulation reel
It is quite a hidden information in the manual

And, you can disassociate the instruments from the styles, so increasing a lot the fun

1 Like

> (apart having the same initials of Brigitte Bardot)

Hahaha I had not thought that BB reference, you should focus more on music! LOL ::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I use Reaper, the native bridge is a blessing! I remember a lot to tweaking and getting fun with BB (the plugin :slight_smile: and Groove Agent, good nostalgic times for VST incipient world.
BTW, Sven is a genious!

1 Like

yes
too bad he lost its developer, and I wasn’t able to onboard him with @davide and @Ed1
:smile:

BTW, in case you reinstall it, don’t forget to download Sven’s last gift

1 Like

Dont send channel out to ujam,just copy midi section to ujam’s channel.Then transpose it +12 you can use all midi chord notas or only last bass nota for to triggering ujam.

@firattuncbas
thanks for information: maybe I’ll use ti in other plugins
but I had a bad feeling with UAJM guitars, mainly due to the very-very poor pattern’s database, so I uninstalled it

Using midiForceToRange from the free Piz MIDI Utilities works perfect for this purpose. No need to transpose anything in Scaler, or use groupings. You can use midiForceToRange to force all midi notes into the C4 to E6 range required by UJAM. Three note and four note chords work great with a minimum of fuss.

2 Likes

Might just be worth looking at MIDI Translator Pro | Bome Software . I believe Ableton uses in it development. I’m exploring it to map sysex to midi CCs, but not yet fully up to speed.

1 Like

Thanks for information @courtjestr and @yorkeman but as I said before, the severe shortage of patterns in UAJM, coupled with no chances to find any pattern bank/refills, pushed me to uninstall it with no regret

If I’ll buy a stronger PC I’ll go to the MusicLab RealLPC 5 because I loved the convenience of its GUI, the fact it can be easily driven by Scaler, the manual & support, but my PC was unable to cope with

@ClaudioPorcellana It may be that you are finished with UJAM, but others may be interested in an easy way to use Scaler with UJAM without doing any modification within Scaler itself like transposition. Note that midiForceToRange would work with other guitar plugins as well that do chord recognition outside the range that Scaler normally provides. Things can also get interesting if you feed UJAM or Strum GS-2 with Scaler rhythms or even Scaler performances.

I am a bit confused why you think the pattern database is very very poor for UJAM guitars. There are 50 different styles in Amber, and each style has 12 patterns so that is 600 different patterns. The pattern speed can be changed from half time to double time. Plus there are an additional 23 common phrases available no matter what style you choose. It is true that there are no expansion packs but 600 patterns is nothing to sneeze at.

1 Like

I appreciate your insight indeed @courtjestr and I’ll certainly try it with my Strum GS-2
Note anyway that I don’t use Scaler transposition feature but MIDI Polysher

About UJAM, I tested it deeply, and I found (as many other customers, even one Scaler forum poster) that most patterns are very “similar” to each other…

A pest that infests Strum GS-2 as well, but to a smaller extent because of the expansion packs

Thanks, but it cannot be done live so that I have to repeat the copy-paste action 1 zillion of times if I want to test Scaler’s 1 zillion patterns…
:rabbit: