Single note guitar solo "detected" as complex chords

I muted all the other tracks, only the selected guitar solo track was playing. Scalar2 detected single guitar notes as complex chords, not single notes. Not very useful detection.

Mac Mini M1
Ventura 13.4
MOTO M4

The detection process might not be as you expected, as it is quite specific.

Firstly, it detects changes in input, and hence ignores any aspects of time, so chords
C C F G would be detected as C F G.

Secondly the stated goal of the process is to detect a scale, and in the case of diads or higher, the chords relative to that scale.

So it’s rather different from audio / midi detection in, say, Live, Melodyne and De Coda

As discussed elsewhere on this board, it can sometimes try to hard to assess chords in polyphonic input, whereas other tools tend to restrict their guesses (it’s an art, not a science) to triads or maybe sevenths.

If you want to routinely capture guitar solos to midi, you might look at https://www.jamorigin.com/
which is designed to do precisely just this.

So although I acknowledge that it is not very useful for you, the function is not really targeted (and slightly opaquely documented) to do what I am guessing you are seeking to do.

For single notes, what do you mean exactly?
One string plucked to the end, then another to the end?
If not, i.e. if you mean a guitar solo, I doubt that Scaler may help

I mean a guitar solo. Scalar Audio doesn’t seem to be able to detect a single note guitar solo and produce a MIDI file from the single note guitar solo.

Scalar Audio can’t convert guitar (audio) to MIDI in real time. I got the impression from the advertising it could. It seems pretty good at detecting single MIDI notes from a keyboard, it can’t do the same for single notes (audio).

Guitar doesn’t seem to be your forte.

I’m talking about detecting single notes played on a guitar, as one would play a melody or guitar solo. Single notes, not chords (multiple notes played simultaneously).

Scalar Audio interprets single guitar notes as chords. Meaning it can’t convert guitar to midi. The advertising implies it can.

“Guitar doesn’t seem to be your forte.”
Correct. I don’t play keyboards either - I’m a midi-head.

I was just trying to be helpful in giving some general context on the audio detection function - discussed in some length on this board - seeking (obviously not very well) to describe the limitations in relation to generic audio capture. I didn’t focus on your particular point - sorry.

The sales documentation says about detection "Scaler 2 can listen to incoming MIDI or audio data, detect the key of your music and suggest chord progressions that will fit with your song.", which is essentially what I wrote. I’ve not seen anything written which would pitch it as a general audio to midi tool. It’s primarily about chord detection.

However, I do recognise your issue and that it’s not going to work as you might have expected. Others might weigh in with more helpful comments.

It does detect single notes played on a keyboard very well. I assumed Scalar Audio could do the analogous with single notes played on a guitar.

The same applies to human voice, and I think because the harmonics, slides, vibratos, or other noises complicate the things

But there are also issues with MIDI keyboards sometimes, e.g. when the notes of a chord are not perfectly in the same time, or when you do arpeggios at low speeds

I think that Scaler was developed first having keyboard players in mind
Only after some time guitarist capabilities were added
I think (and hope) that other will be added in the future anyway, because many people requested more stuff for guitarists, and one of the devs is a guitarist

I hope so. I think this product is needed more by guitar players than keyboard players.

There are always too many guitar players and not enough keyboard players. I didn’t get the memo in childhood.

1 Like

That’s a very good point. I’m guessing (I don’t know) that guitarists improvisation would be enhanced by a really good understanding of modes and modal interchanges, and scale is really good for getting in to all that and allowing one to recognise things by sound.

I am interested in music theory (hence scaler) and I do have a guitar, which I use more or less entirely to to explore scales and modes, and I find that it’s much easier (for me at least) to get a mental picture of intervals on a guitar than a keyboard.
Plus with 3nps it’s simple to do this in both parallel and derivative forms.

I do have Guitar2 Midi, and if you haven’t looked at it, I recommend looking at the video on the home page at https://www.jamorigin.com/

I have a very good solution for Logic Pro users. Using the Flex Time and Flex Pitch features of the editor, you can convert audio to midi:

Kindly see my Logic Pro solution. Didn’t cost me a thing! It’s built in.