Slowing down the tempo of scales playback

Hi,
when I am in scales mode (window), and choose a scale and hit the play button, I can hear all scale notes but I have no way to control the tempo /speed of the sequence of the notes.
No matter if my DAW (Studio One) tempo is 30 or 300 , it does not synchronize the tempo of the played scale notes sequence. In the Playback setting, I turned DAW sync to ON, but still, I can not control the speed of the scales playback.
How to solve this issue?

And one more question:
The scales always play in the way UP (do re mi fa sol la si do)
Is there any option (or if not, is there any chance to include an option) to play the scale DOWN (do si la sol fa mi re do)?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome Angelo;
A couple of assumptions on my part

1. you are using the most current version of Scaler (2.3)
  2. when you say “scales mode (window)” you mean you were in the Main pane (A) and clicked the Scales button (B) (see image below for UI map)

Playback Direction
When you hit the play button (C) you are playing the default chords in their standard sequence. You can play with shape and such while the chords are in this slot (D) If you want to change their orientation you will need to drag chords into a pattern. (E) Here you can move them around or change other performance properties using the Edit button (F). (If you want to trigger the chords wiith a MIDI device, be sure to select a bind button at the right side of a chord set to bind those chords to your device)

Tempo Synch
In my Windows DAWs (Studio One and Zen Beats) the tempo of the playback always seems to synch automatically. I can start playback within in Scaler and change the DAW tempo and the playback slows or speeds up in real time. (Others might have a different thoughts here). Have you tried selecting a performance and then changing your tempo to test? Sometimes this is more obvious.

On the topic of synch, there are 2 other types of synch w/in Scaler. 1 is synching Scaler playback with your DAW’s playback controls (this is what you did when you set DAW synch to On). This is also enabled when you right click on the Play Button in your pattern (G) and it will turn into a play/pause icon. Now when you hit play in your DAW, Scaler will play. The other Synch is synch multiple versions of Scaler that you have loaded. This is found by right clicking on the Scaler name and selecting Synch. Here you can copy properties from one Scaler instance to another quickly.

Hope this helps a bit and Good luck!

For more info, you might explore the great videos at School of Synthesis
(1) Scaler 2 In-Depth Tutorials and Workflow Videos - YouTube

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the OP is referring to the scale in the center with the play button. They are there just to give you a flavor of the scale, not really to use in sync with anything. The chords derived from the scale would do that. If you wanted you could edit the chords to play just the root note and rearrange the pads in the pattern mode to play in any order you wanted and in sync.

Good catch…sure you are right. Don’t think I’ve ever used those play buttons. :slight_smile:

I don’t think I’ve ever used them either. Once I choose a scale I just use the chords. But I’ve been playing for awhile now so maybe I want to move on quicker. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey Angelo.

I suspect @jamieh captured your question more accurately than I did so I hope you got what you needed.

Your question triggered some curiosity on the topic and a couple other things surfaced for that might be helpful to you or others.

As for reversing a sequence of single notes and using the DAW tempo for playback, other than @jamieh’s suggestion of editing the chords down into individual notes w/in a pattern, another way I found to hear the individual scale notes is by setting the Perform mode to Arpeggio with a 1/1 timing and playing the chords from a Scale. (This might be a duh! for some, but not me) If you want to reverse the notes, you can create a pattern with those chords and same Perform setting.

Aside from editing the chords down to single notes while in the chord editor, you can also save a chord into a chord set and then edit the resulting XML file to keep only the root notes. It is a very simple, albeit tedious process that I can’t at the moment see a need for, however thanks to Scaler’s clean use of XML, it works well. I’ll spare you the details, but if curious just ask. However, there are a couple fast and simple workarounds that might prove helpful and surprising.

MIDI Capture / MIDI Detect and roundtripping through Studio One. (and other DAWS)

MIDI Capture will record the notes from the Scales Audition feature and anything else you play…tested to thousands of bars. (I use it as a retrospective record when I’m toying around in Scaler) After recording the MIDI and dragging it into S1, I can quickly reverse the notes by using the Mirror Notes functions in S1 (you can find it on the S1 Music Creation Toolbar) . If I want to play those single notes w/in Scaler I can immediately use the Scaler Detect Midi feature (using the same instance of Scaler) to load them back into Scaler as detected notes.

While I can’t move them into an editable chord set directly, l can play them back using the DAW tempo, randomly with my bound keyboard or within a Scaler Perform mode. The whole process of dragging out and then detecting back into scaler is about a 15 second round trip.

So while not a native solution, it might be an easy work around (depending on your objective) with some cool added benefits. For example, while exploring this topic I used this approach to create sets of scales and chords playing sequentially to help me with ear training. In just a few minutes and with little effort I had a bunch of useful training material.

I’m not a competent keyboardist so I’m always looking for inspiration and quick ways to create interesting progressions, melodies, etc. When I cycle Scaler output through S1, I can use all the S1 creation tools like randomize pitch w/in scale, chord creation, etc. to generate MIDI that I can then bring back into Scaler and keep exploring. Between the two environments, the creative possibilities seem limitless and the process is dead simple.

Also, don’t overlook Keys-Lock - depending on what you are trying to do, it has some pretty helpful features.

Thanks for posting the question…it prompted me to dig into yet another area of Scaler that I had not really explored.

3 Likes