Suggest chords?

I appreciate I may get flamed for this, but I’m not asking scaler to write things for me. Just wondering I’d there a feature where it suggests where your progression might go next? Like you’ve written three chords say? I know you can just dive in and click around in the scale etc but just wondering if I’m missing something that tells me what the ‘classic’ or most likely next steps would be? It would be a good part of the educational side of the tool as well as useful for composing… but maybe its there already (have read the manual and watched most of the vids)

1 Like

The song styles and artist sets give examples of workable, interesting progressions.

If you want more on classic pop rock progressions from well-known songs, I’d look those up in fake books for on the net and then put them into Scaler. Check the chord set sharing part of the forums, too.

Scaler is an advanced tool for musicians, but even a basic understanding of how chords and scales work will take you very far with this plug-in and it will help you learn more. If you’re just getting started with progressions, youtube has it all.

No one here’s going to flame you out for a reasonable post like yours.

You can play literally 100s of songs with just I-IV-V. Many pop and Jazz songs are II-V type progressions strung together in various ways. Anyway, enjoy the Songs and Artists sets, those have some great sounding ideas.

Thanks, the caution was because I’ve had a couple of slightly aggressive responses in the past here. Thanks for your answer. My situation is that I do know the basics, so I can write say a three chord profession, or I know the standard ones. It’s more once I’ve done that, can I ask scaler to suggest where to go after that, or do I just need to do it by ear. So it’s not about coming up with professions, it’s a question about developing them or extending them. Hope that clarifies it. I have a feeling the functionality doesn’t exist but just checking…

No flamework involved. Your music comes from your heart, and by ear is a great way to learn what’ it’s trying to say. Just “clicking” usually tells you if you are on the write:) track or hitting a clunker. Also pay attention to the fifths wheel while doing this to find a compatible key. You can also listen to all the preset scales and use parts of their progression to find something interesting. There are no rules, REALLY, but you can use a chord, part of it, a different inversion, anything that sounds good to YOU. After awhile you should start remembering the majors, minors, sevenths and how they fit together to your liking. HAVE FUN!!!