Surge XT: Another Good Free Synth

Surge XT is an open source hybrid wave-table synthesizer with a lot of 3rd party patches available. It was originally developed as a commercial product but was then released s an open source product in 2018.

It is can be installed on Windows, MAC and Linux OSs and is available through the Surge website.

2 Likes

Surge XT is an excellent instrument. Once you become accustomed to its unique routing system it’s fun to program and a good set of useful presets is provided. The pros on Discord have been very helpful answering questions about it.

For free synths –

Vital
Surge
U-He free versions (all of them are really good).
Odin from wavewarden is very powerful.

Vital is also very easy to program with drag and drop routing, and a large number of free presets available from third parties.

Vital is brilliant at evolving pad sounds.

I only have one problem, I like them so I get tham and then suffer from too many synths. I don’t think I will ever buy another synth.

See my post on Vital here.

1 Like

I’ve been running into the conundrum recently too (too many synths)! I’ve decided basically to learn Vital and Phaseplant inside and out and stick with those two. I may be wrong, but it seems that between the two you can produce just about any sound you want. It’s just too much work to learn 5-6-7 different synths. With some tweaking, you can even get these digital synths to emulate some of the old analog modules.

1 Like

I think its best to learn one synth really well and then leverage that for learning other synths.

Each one I’ve worked with has taken time. I like presets but often end up editing them. I then save those so I’m gradually building a library of my own.

I just spent a few hours with Wavewarden’s Odin (free, see above) and it has some great features and sounds.

Vital can be wild but in the hands of a good programmer like Eric Bowman it can do normal sounding instruments very well.

Surge is very deep and has a great Discord community for questions and help.

I like all my instruments and I don’t have a huge set-up. I’d love one of the big orchestral packages eventually, but I don’t do that kind of music.

2 Likes