Syncing the selected scale only takes effect after the target Scaler UI has been opened

As per the title.

Repro steps:

• Setup 3 tracks
  • Place a Scaler on each track
  • Setup two Scalers to follow the chords of one Scaler by routing MIDI accordingly
  • Setup the two above Scalers with Keys Lock Chord Extensions
  • Setup a simple MIDI sequence sending MIDI notes to trigger the “chord” Scaler
  • Setup a simple MIDI sequence to trigger the second Scaler
  • Setup a simple MIDI sequence to trigger the third Scaler
  • Ensure the second and third Scaler UIs are not open
  • Change the selected scale on the “chord” Scaler
  • Sync the scales via the Session Sync
  • Play your sequence

Expected results:

• The sequence sounds right

Actual results:

• The sequence sounds wrong, because the second and third Scalers did not update their scale

Repro steps (continued):

• Now, open the UI of the second and third Scalers
  • Play your sequence

Expected results:

Actual results:

Conclusion: After syncing, Scaler does not update its scale until the Scaler UI is opened.

@Ed1 @davide

Tagging you guys so that hopefully you see this and maybe hopefully the fix can be included in the upcoming hotfix.

I know it is kind of wordy, but another more concise way to state the issue is this:

You can only sync scales (and possibly other things) when the Scaler UIs are open. It does not work when they are closed.

Many thanks :slight_smile:

Hi @jbone1313

yes, we saw this and tried to replicate it on our end, with no success.

It syncs and plays the correct scale here. But it seems you are using the “Keys Lock - Chord Extensions” mode which depends on the last chord played which makes it a bit hard to diagnose as this info is not synced.

Would you mind sharing the project file or the midi sequences you have used?

Thanks,
Ed

Hi @Ed1

Thanks for taking a look. I created a simple Ableton Live project, which reproduces the issue. You can download from the link below.

To reproduce, simply open the Scaler on the first track. Change its Scale. Sync the session. Hit play. Notice the notes are off. While it is playing, open the second Scaler instance. You will observe the scale takes effect, and the notes sound right.

I am on Windows 10.

Hopefully you have access to Ableton Live. If not, I will think of something else.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkT2FfEZca_XgttWfJtWLS_HsEiSiA?e=wuUwy8

Thanks @jbone1313, we will do additional tests and get back to you.

@Ed1
Happy new year. Were you guys able to reproduce this? Is there anything else you need from my end?

Hi @jbone1313 thanks and happy new year to you too.

Yes, we have been able to reproduce and fix it, it will be part of the next update.

Cheers,
Ed

2 Likes