The chord wizard of EZkeys 2

you clearly need a D&D, or the Audio Sender (but it doesn’t work in my Bitwig Studio)

The new EZkeys 2 is really good. It sounds really great and is easy and quick to use.

I find EZkeys 2 can be used in excellent conjunction with Scaler 2. If you create a chord progression in EZkeys 2, the wide sampling of Scaler PERFORMANCES can be used to modify the progression in your DAW.

If you can interact with EZBASS, that’s even better. However, I still prefer BIAB for now.

Without a demo, no one will know its capabilities. Nor if it works in our DAWs as people imagine it works.

I fear EZkeys is rather like a Barbie Doll (do they still make those ??) You get the Doll, but then have to buy 5 skirts, 10 tops and 6 pairs of knickers etc and before you know it your card is overdrawn.
{Actually 78 add on midi packs, and 17 sound sets)

I have EZDrums, which works on the same lines. I’ll stick with RMX where I have multiple genres with the licence.

They will also eventually release EZMUSIC! :rofl:

1 Like

At least I think Ezdrummer 3 is good. I guess it depends on what genre you need. At least it’s good for Rock, Blues, pop, etc. music. In addition, the new Ezkeys 2 work great together. I personally like these programs much more than the BIAB program. BIAB is not my thing. EZbass is top with it. If I want bass fast. I usually play the bass myself, but I might get good bass ideas from there.

As long as you don´t try to play the samples yourself. Then you run into its limitations to make it work with other samplers compared to its bigger brother Superior Drummer.

No, it can´t because with Scaler you can play yourself. The Scaler team invested too much time in the auto accompaniment thing instead of delivering voicings for both hands that could teach people how to play in any style themselves.

I’ve recently found that BIAB works too well.
In particular, some drums and melodies made by oneself can be turned into loops, then written into BIAB, and music can be generated by inputting chords.

Yes, you can drop it.

Sure it can. Depends on your workflow. If you need to overcome writers block then you may use both tools. If you need to write serious songs both can be used but Scaler is much more complicated (to me).
I don´t use the automated accompanies although many ppl here do. I always used (and still do) Scaler to create Progressions which is nice and quick. But when it comes to presets like the song proposals it starts to get complete weirdo. From all the song progression proposals there are only very few which are usable for me. Most of them seem to be just arbitrary chords and without musical context not recognizable, where the journey is to go. This makes the biggest difference with EZK. Here you get progressions bedded in a context and changeable note by note or chord by chord, completely free on the timing.
Money is one aspect but not the most important.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right. Workflow is really important. Everyone is different.
Some people play the piano or the guitar. Some people need software.
SCALER is a must have. It helps you learn chords. Establish a good chord concept. I know all the chords at a glance.
EZKEY can help me play some notes.

But in my workflow, I usually start with SCALER for inspiration, and then I go to BIAB and type in chords for inspiration. Finally, I worked on my ideas with various software in STUDIO ONE.
SCALER is used the most throughout the workflow.

Almost all VSTs do the job in place of the “musician”

The only alternative is playing well all instruments like e.g. Mike Oldfield, but he was a genius and talents are rara aves :wink:

That said, I think that everybody should find its own balance between “too much help” and “too little help”

A professional will go easily for “little help”, while an amateur will find a place in the middle

I stated at the beginning that going to “too much help” is boring, and listening my collection of MP3s is better, so I agree with it

Nevertheless, being personally more a wannabe soloist, I like tools that let me go directly to jamming, and the Toontrack’s are faster, like my old Broomstick Bass and its drums, but better than the latter due to better sounds and the huge amount of MIDIs, the circle of fifths, the option to edit single chords, and NOW the chance to create progressions, change the “rhythm” on the fly, and integrate with the other Toontrack’s tools

I agree that Scaler is more educational, but I am a lazy pupil :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

Song is a comprehensive art.

Convenient and quick completion of music allows me to focus more on the rhythm and lyrics of the music, as well as the recording. I also don’t like particularly complicated music. I prefer something simple. Not too many instruments, not too messy.

May I ask how you play the suggested chord progressions yourself in EZ Keys?

The question is not easy to answer. On one hand there is my urge to create a song progression. I have a melody in mind or play it on the keyboard or bass and find chords to that melody. On the other hand I listen to the styles EZkeys offers (toontrack sells them). Very inspiring, also after I already have some over years. The progressions can be changed in every way you can think of. Switching part from one style to another, no problem. Keep the leading theme in the progression and change the rhythm, also no problem. Copy notes, licks/riffs from here to there, combine styles. You can be lost if you don’t have a goal. Music is also a game, a nice hobby, a journey.
The workflow is not always the same, some days are different to other days if you know what I mean.

Edit: you can drag and drop the chord parts from Scaler to EZkeys.

2 Likes

That´s what I meant. Either EZ Keys plays or you play yourself.
With Scaler in keys-lock CHORD NOTES mode with the chords muted you play the chords. Unfortunately, the Scaler team didn´t develop the CHORD NOTES mode further because people asked for auto accompaniment.

Different way, same result.