The Scaler Forum Band Project

Are witnessing a thread hijack in real time? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why?
@Bernd wants we share our workflows…

1 Like

Great! I’m so curious to see (well, hear) how various people will approach the tune. Keeping fingers crossed. :slight_smile: Currently I’m trying to feed triads from Scaler into UJAM Sparkle for some pop-rock rhythm guitar.

Beautiful melody! I feel like an idiot, because I just copied the raw midi over into my DAW, and played it, and thought “wow, super avantgarde!” (my positive spin on dissonance :wink: And then I reread your “Scaler Settings” information and configured Scaler accordingly, and voila, beautiful! Here’s my first take on building on this…
https://soundcloud.com/user-938271334/scaler-forum-band-take-1

I added a Scaler bass line (Funk 1)

The drums are NI Maschine’s “909 Fat Bloke Kit”. And then used the same notes & settings from your original piano piece to feed a vox pad with more sustain one octave up (used Falcon 2 for that, but you could substitute with Scaler’s internal “Choir” sound)

If you use Scaler’s internal “Choir” for the background pad, it seems to sound best 4 octaves up…

For the sake of @LivingEdge_Studios sanity, I moved the alien part of my workflow in the proper section of the forum
:crazy_face: :rofl: :eyes:

Darn it, you’re fast! I’m still in the woods :slight_smile:
I love how dreamy you’ve made the tune. Are you planning to change the piano into a synth? :slight_smile:

I wasn’t planning to swap out the piano, I actually quite like it. Originally I did play with a bunch of different synth leads for the melody, but in the end it seemed to sound best with piano. Meanwhile I have also added a Scaler guitar (sound + expressions), but it doesn’t quite sound right. It’s starting to get too busy. And even now listening to it again on another PC, the sound mixing is horrible, bass way too dominant :-o

Here’s the alternative part with guitar (faded piano into background).
https://soundcloud.com/user-938271334/scaler-forum-band-take-2

And here’s how it looks in the DAW (Bitwig)…

The Scaler guitar part looks like this:

You can play around and vary the expressions.

Meant to add that I like the original melody very much, in fact in the DAW I kept listening to it on loop for a couple of repetitions. But it sounds like it would be the chorus to the longer story. So we might need to weave some narrative around this central theme?

For what it’s worth, I’ve added a workspace on kompoz.com, that might make it easier to share files/stems etc. The Scaler Forum Band Dashboard

1 Like

I was thinking how we probably should keep the instruments to the Scaler internal ones, a) to make the project as portable across the Scaler community as possible, and b) to identify any missing sounds that the Scaler Dev team might want to add, like some percussive sounds?

It’s soooo great - I love how chill it is. And yes, it does need some EQ-ing :wink: but let’s not be perfectionist right from the start. Mastering engineer will fix everything :rofl:

Definitely - a verse is a must :slight_smile: . I will try to draft something - Sunday evening I should be out Easter-foods-induced-coma :slight_smile: and ready for new challenges.

Signed up and uploaded my version :slight_smile:

Thanks Bernd, just registered. As we progress through different songs and albums :slight_smile: , it might be interesting to define some song types that target (and then are then constrained by) very specific feature sets of Scaler. That way, if and when people listen, they can get a feel of what it is they are listening to and how it relates to producing it with Scaler. As we know, cool sounding chords are but one of Scaler’s many talents.

Good point about focusing on the different Scaler features, as I can think of them being…

1. The library of chord progressions
  2. The expressions (phrases etc)
  3. The transition/modulation feature
  4. The patterns matrix & key binding that allows recalling chords

Along those lines I was wondering if we best keep the compositional exchanges in Scaler format, e.g. the pattern matrix instead of MIDI files, or would that be too constraining? We wouldn’t expect to compose a whole song solely in Scaler, right?

Hello, Forum Band
First of all, excuse me, please. I joined the Forum Scaler band because I am curious about everything that Scaler can offer us and I love to share what I find out about it and what all of you teach me with your use.
Two days ago I was vaccinated against COVID. It was the AstraZeneka (Seneca died with hemlock and I forgot to ask how much hemlock they put in my vaccine). I’ve been through the symptoms and reactions that are normal when you get vaccinated for anything. Moreover, I will say that about 10 years ago, more or less, I got the flu vaccine because by age and work (testing my students’ mouthpieces to improve them or make them easier for them) I was at risk population. And I never got a flu shot, because that year I had a very, very bad week. Especially for what is fear, hehe …
This time I did not have a fever, but I had punctures in my temple and then all over my head. After two days, I woke up suddenly and realized that I was totally wet (like when I got out of the pool, total). It was already fine. I am almost 61 years old and I recommend that everyone get vaccinated. Vaccines have allowed us to be here for many years. I’m normal now. So I started with the Atempt1 that lelek sent.
These are the chord settings that I used for the 3 Scalers that I added. The 1st keeps the original lelek. In the other 3 Scalers I used the basic chords that I heard
Pattern 1:
Chords: Eb maj, Bb maj, F min, C min, Ab maj, Eb maj, Bb maj,
Duration in Edit 2 2 2 2 2 2 4
Pattern 2:
Chords: F min, Ab maj, C min, Bb maj, F min, Ab maj, Bb maj,
Duration in Edit 2 2 2 2 2 2 4

I also made a small video (sorry Claudio Porcellana) starting to explain. It is, as always, fun in Scaler. Thanks lelek for your topic

I have to add the video. I managed to do it, but now I can’t insert it here. I add it as soon as I can. So you can see Rabbit Composer who is not the only one who is limited in these things

1 Like

nope, you have to upload it on Youtube, then you’ll put the link here

BTW I am not against videos; simply I tried with a couple of software I have, but I failed after some hours of hard fight
:exploding_head: :rofl:

The best tool I have is Filmora, a specialized video editor and according to the instructions it can record any PC monitor flow, but the video quality was very poor, and I was unable to add the audio, dunno why

SO, if someone knows a simple and free tool to have that video, I’ll do it
promised :rofl:

Do you mean you remained unconscious for 2 whole days?
:astonished: :cold_face:

No. I was lazy, with hardly any strength in my legs, but conscious. The day before yesterday I woke up with a great sweat, but I’m fine now. Thanks, Claudio
Regarding the software, I use Obs Studio, which is free and is one of the ones that uses the least system resources (the ones you put)
I only put screen capture and audio output capture, but to record I have to adjust whether I use programs that use Asio at the same time. For example, I assign MME Windows when I record screen video with Ableton or Reaper, otherwise it only records the screen, no sound. After making the video I re-assign ASIO to Ableton or Reaper. Taking into account that it is free, it is not so much a problem (although the quality of the audio in the video is obviously low)

1 Like

Well…I guess that is based on our objective. I think it would be cool to do some things that are Strictly Scaler (ok, that might be an album title) While it would certainly constrain some things, if our goals include showcasing the tool and encouraging people to really push the envelope with it, I say go for it. There are lots of places people can showcase their general musical talents (places I only visit), I’m hoping this might be a place to showcase their Scaler talents while enhancing their general musical ones as well.

Regardless, I appreciate the energy you are directing towards this.