The Scaler Forum Band Project

Soooo… Here comes the initial version of cha-cha based on @jjfagot bolero xml (thank you!). Audio preview traditionally in @Bernd Kompoz.

Setup:

• Scaler with JJs xml loaded for generating initial midis. Didn’t even try to change chords there - I don’t understand those :rofl:.

• Scaler with midi generated above to do Guitar parts (internal instrument). Rhythm > Piano :grin: > x1

Cha-cha - Part A - Guitar.mid (372 Bytes)
Cha-cha - Part B - Guitar.mid (643 Bytes)

• Scaler with midi generated above to do Bass parts. I used external Bass instrument but internal Bass Guitar can be used. Couldn’t find any suitable performance pattern so it’s so-so… Bass > Funk 9 > x0.5

Cha-cha - Part A - Bass.mid (641 Bytes)
Cha-cha - Part B - Bass.mid (641 Bytes)

• Drums are provided by NI Discovery Series - Cuba plugin. I attach midi but it probably would need to be replaced with wav loop - I don’t expect this plugin to be very popular.

Cha-cha - Part A - Drums.mid (124 Bytes)
Cha-cha - Part B - Drums.mid (83 Bytes)

• Brass is provided by e-series Session Horns (that I didn’t know I had :rofl: ). It’s my first time playing around with brass instruments so be kind :rofl:

Cha-cha - Part A - Brass.mid (374 Bytes)
Cha-cha - Part B - Brass.mid (278 Bytes)

• External grand piano instrument (of corse Scaler’s internal piano can be used but I wanted something a bit smoother).

Cha-cha - Part A - Piano.mid (643 Bytes)
Cha-cha - Part B - Piano.mid (946 Bytes)

I guess, once the bass line is fixed it could be danced. For a moment it’s a bit “elevator music” :rofl:

1 Like

My webcam got you
:joy:

@lelek I am glad you’re using the NI/Kontakt instruments, that let’s me repro your setup. Not sure if the .mid files contain the BPM, haven’t tried to load them yet. But the audio from Kompoz sounds rather slow for a cha-cha, no? What BPM did you run this at? Not sure what the number usually is for cha-cha, but having danced it before, I can’t remember it being that slow. I was going to ask where you guys get the Latin rhythms from, because I only see “Latin” chord progressions in Scaler. Can’t tell which rhythms of the ambiguously named ones in Scaler would best represent Latin beats?

What I wanna know why he let you be the driver :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

Ha ha, you are probably right. I cross-referenced with the track I had in mind when composing and, yes, even if slow, it’s a bit faster than mine :rofl: (mental bookmark for myself: always cross-reference before bouncing to audio)

I bounced it at 105 BPM. 110-115 will probably be better.
EDIT: Tried it at 112-117. 115 seems to be sweet spot.

That’s the thing - I couldn’t find anything.

Actually, any kind of style is good as far as you syncopate the rhythm properly using patterns, speeds, rests, etc.

Indeed, in my series of “Scaler is good at” I never used a matching style
For example, for the flamenco, I used hip-hop…
:joy:

1 Like

I like it so. With any speed you could dance (if you like to dance). I don’t dance very well, so I like holding dance more, hehe.
As for the chords, they are typical of Latin songs (bolero, cha cha cha, mambo …) The beginning of the bolero was an Output Arcade configuration with Latin songs and rhythms (Sazón). I like Arcade because it brings a lot of ideas. Simply by touching a key you have a melody or a rhythm. You adjust it to a pitch that looks best to you and then I place an Audio Scaler on its track to extract the chords. Then I pass the chords to a normal scaler (midi) and play with it. Arcade is free to try for one month. Then, if you like it, you pay € 10 a month for all its sounds. You can also make Arcade configurations with your own sounds (from audio files for each key, or from a single audio for all, like any sampler but much better)
Yesterday I started to play with the bolero file a bit, but also adding Ezkeys. It’s great. I promise to pass it in a few days
Great Chachacha, lelek. And also the flamenco of RabbitComposer. I thought you were going to wear your brown hair wig and high heels hahaha Thank you for your help to have a good time, colleagues

Love the tune :heart:

Yes, but easier said than done :rofl: I was really struggling to find bass pattern with signature “cha-cha-one” (if not present - dancers are going to the bar :rofl:).
And I didn’t. (I want Scaler pattern editor sooooooo baaaaaad)

2 Likes

I hear you @ClaudioPorcellana , with enough musical sophistication any genius can do anything. But the whole point I appreciate Scaler because it spoonfeeds me what’s out there. I mean there are some references to established music styles, such as in the chord progressions and scale tagging, so why not name rhythms like the basslines started showing up with music genre names? Definitely some improvement opportunity for the less musical of us :slight_smile:

1 Like

buy Broomstick Bass and try all its patterns one after the other: it’s quite difficult that you’ll don’t find anything useful

How I use Arcade
Then I play a key with chords and put a Scaler Audio on the Arcade track and extract the chords. So I can already use the Scaler and Arcade functionalities at the same time

2 Likes

You’re doing better job selling Arcade than Output itself :rofl:. I went to see videos on their website and I was underwhelmed - attitude guys and bored lady :rofl:.
For me right now, anything subscription-based is a no-no but I’ll probably give it a try in couple of months. Thanks!

Oh no no no no… :rofl: Nice try :rofl: I’m saving for that guitar plugin from MusicLab that you were testing some time ago :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t be penny-pincher!
It’s just 49 €
soldi allegri

I’m not going to buy anything else for quite some time. My wife won’t let me

1 Like

Hi pals

here is another possible starting point for the collaborative project, if you like so
:grinning:

From Bolero Sazón I made this file in Ableton Live 10
Thinking of Mozart’s Infinite Minuet, I have programmed a random change every 16 bars and many recordable versions are available.
I hope you like it.
The complete work sequenced, with 4 Intros, 12 developments and 4 endings is at SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
BoleroJazzpiano - YouTube

1 Like

That’s amazing! And a great inspiration for the rest of us, to see what Scaler and a lot of MIDI magic is capable of creating. Beautiful music! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks to you, Bernd for creating this Band

1 Like

Ha ha, even the toughest, most seasoned accountant would weep in despair when reviewing my current cash-flow :rofl: