This is definitely an underrated software. band in a box

I used to have BiB way back in the 90s on an Atari when I started messing around with MIDI, can’t remember where I got it from may have been free with a magazine or an offer. I have looked at the modern version and was surprised by the price which is way beyond my means, being a pensioner, so I think I will stick to Scaler at a more economical option. Both are great pieces of software but I’m afraid there are limits to funds so I try to make the most of what I’ve got.

2 Likes

@carlosbiab can say you many things, as his nickname suggests
:wink:

In my opinion anyway, BIB is a closed ecosystem and I don’t like very much these systems

1 Like

no no. Not closed. Drag and drop arbitrarily. Now there is vst, which is very convenient. However, it’s a bit expensive :cry:

for “close ecosystem” I mean that you cannot use BIAB instruments elsewhere, and you cannot use your plugins into it

Maybe now is changed but I think to remember it worked this way when I bought it and asked for a refund a few days after

Anyway I prefer open system, where you have a standalone DAW and standalone plugins, and all them will work elsewhere: this way, you save your money in case you decide to change something

1 Like

Claudio, BIAB has come a long way in just the past ~2 - 3 years. Users have been very demanding regarding getting BIAB to play with other Musical Tools. Using VSTs in BIAB became fully workable in version 2021. We can now insert Kontakt on any of the midi tracks. But what was really the game changer was the introduction of the BIAB-VST which came along in 2019, improved in 2020 and improved again in 2021. This moved ~80% of the practical midi and audio working tools of BIAB directly into your DAW. Just recently we now have the ability to drag and drop chord charts between
BIAB and to Scaler 2. Of course still a ways to go, but your comments sounds like they could be from pre- 2018.

2 Likes

Can I drag and drop the chord of scaler to band in a box?
I didn’t succeed. Did I do it wrong? Is there a solution?
thank you

1 Like

Yes, relatively speaking, scaler is more open and scaler is worth looking forward to.
I share bank in a box here
Because I see a direction. If scaler continues to make progress, I can follow this idea in the future.
The real track in bank in a box is very good and can be changed at will. It is played by professionals and is very easy to use.
I was thinking that scaler has a lot of work to do, such as finding some professional people to play the true track. In this case, it is a cumulative process and eventually erupts. Change the way music is made.

bank in a box renders well the cost involved
LOL

1 Like

I don’t know BIAB, but have you recorded or lassoed chords before?
if not, try that

Yes, you can D&D block chord charts (chord name only - BIAB will currently not permit the midi to move into it) from Scaler to the BIAB-VST but as of this writing only with Reaper as the host. Long story. Much of this is a work in progress from the BIAB-VST point of view. Changes are coming but sometimes they are slow.

That thread above contains a video I made showing how this is done. BTW, I use the Lasso.

2 Likes

I can’t put it in. I can only enter text with the keyboard. Is that what you mean? You can’t drag and drop, you can only enter text.
Besides, I don’t know what a Lasso is.

By the way, a digression. Band in box generates a large number of wavs. Do you need me to delete them? Or did they disappear automatically? I’m worried about taking up more and more of the hard disk

is using the mouse pointer to draw an imaginary line around something…
:grin:

Like a series of chords as explained here

This should help in regards to D&D chord names with Scaler 2, BIAB and Reaper. See the video posted in the tread.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=668627#Post668627

1 Like

Ya, you have good right to be concerned. BIAB creates a huge amount of .wav files. But it is very manageable when you know where all the pieces go.

I finished watching the video. You can drag and drop in the video.
But I can’t operate it. The Daw I use is studio one.
Do not know why? It should still be the problem of BIAB. ha-ha

How did you solve the bass paragraph of BIAB?
For example, if a style is generated, bas needs to be changed in different positions.
I was thinking that it would be better if BIAB could automatically generate intro, verse and chorus.
Or you can only find similar types of songs and change bass

Swingmix, you are getting deep into the workings of BIAB. Best to take this discussion over to the PGMusic forum. Lots of folks over there can answer all your questions. Just to close here, Yes - D&D from Scaler to BIAB does not work in Studio 1. This is not a bug. It is due to the fact that chord labels are not used in Studio 1. So the chord names have to be moved via midi data not chord labels. BIAB inputs chords only via chord labels. Again this is in planning for an adjustment. Look to version 2022 for this.

2 Likes

OK. I am not familiar with that forum. I cannot see the latest reply. Ha ha.

I never knew BIAB, but only because I chose, after good reviews, the forerunner of Logic Pro in the early 1990s. Back then it was a German Co. called Notator Logic and then EMagic. It ran on PC and Mac until Apple bought it out and dropped all support for PC. As a PC user then, I couldn’t bear to miss all the wonderful upgrades, such as recording audio, the many added MIDI instruments and effects, the adaptive drummer, flexed audio, smart tempo etc. etc. So I bought a Mac. Until recently Apple charged for each significant upgrade and, of course plus, for me, there was the cost of the Mac, albeit that I prefer Macs. All in all, I must have spent about £2000 over the years and therefore helped to fund the development of the software. Pleased to do so, but it was annoying to find that anyone buying the app today only has to shell out £150. The upside is that for some years now Apple has shipped even major upgrades free to existing users. Logic works seamlessly with Scaler. You can drag and drop chord progressions straight into a track or the Piano Roll, sync it to the DAW and you can copy an instance of Scaler over to other tracks if you want to layer sounds, add melody and baselines and rely on them all being seamlessly related to each other. You can either record your progressions directly to a track or record it into Scaler itself and then drag that MIDI onto your track. Both work tolerably well, although I get smoother transitions from one chord to another (especially when arpeggiated) if I pre-quantise the receiving track. This forces the incoming MIDI to a grid and seems to avoid any jerky changes
I’m sure this is possible with many other DAWs, all I can say is this is my experience with Logic Pro.