To be honest, do you use these expressions many times?

2021-08-19_095659

Do a little research. Look at the number of times you use it. Then suggestions for improvement.
Let me talk about myself first. I used it several times in the beginning. It is rarely used now.

I use many of them most of the time in some form or another. Sequences>Ostinatos current uses.
Melody>Chord/Melody gets used a lot in various combinations. Rhythms, Performances and Phrase used in various combinations.
If there was a way to have more variations like Rapid Composer would be awesome.
Editing or adding to before export would be nice.
Strumming needs some revamping but I’m using it in a project now.
Arpeggios would be nice to have more variations available.

I mix them up using performance playback. strums work great inserted only occasionally. Changing speed works great for variety.
I would not want to do without them.

I’d love if there could be some way to incorporate legato in some way.

Keep these. At the same time, add editing and dragging MIDI functions.
In addition, it’s best to classify according to the type of music,
Now the catalog still looks a bit confusing to me. It might just be me.

I’m sure layout will change for the better. Remember, these have all been added to the existing Scaler structure. The next big update, maybe version 3, will see improvements in that.

2 Likes

Yes, all the time, everything. I specialize on aleatoric sounds, music, rhythms, melodies. As such I derive a vast spectrum of combinations from all the expressions and performances. I rarely play them by themselves, but combine them, even like @TMacD illustrated a while back, record one performance into a MIDI clip and then feed it back into a different performance pattern. Sometimes I use the performances at a very low BPM rate in the DAW, so they become long notes, which in turn I send back into performances or other arpeggiators/sequencers. The power of this vast choice of patterns is that you can mash them up in infinite combinations. Think of it this way before you get bored :wink:

1 Like

Un-lurking just to add some numbers to this thread. I’ve counted all the elements and can report that there are
765 performance options
364 songs
268 artist progressions
… and thus > 490,000 basic combinations before you start to do anything else.

My research is thus unfinished because I have got up to auditioning number 120,333 so far :anguished: Who knows what musical masterpieces are hidden in the other 370,797 ?

Quip aside, I aspire to the @Bernd methodology so have settled to work on a relatively small number of these elements as a base to create a variety of ambient / cinematic / melodic trance stuff. My focus is however on interesting timbres rather than complex progressions or melodic lines, as I have no musical skills, but know a bit of music theory.
[… but I then have to decide which patches to use and tweak - Omnisphere alone has >12,000 :astonished:]

… back to quiet mode …

2 Likes

That’s right, @yorkeman , I remember you were cataloguing the Scaler combinatorial universe, what better source to illustrate its possibilities. This research should benused in the marketing collateral for Scaler!

And again, if you use @TMacD 's performance nesting method, the combinations go toward infinity, since there is no theoretical limit to the depth of nesting and resulting recursions of feeding performance patterns into other performance patterns, or even the same into itself.

So the marketing claim “Endless Possibilities” is definitely true for Scaler :slight_smile:

Even before that, take a given progression and a given performance, lets say with 8 chords). However, each chord of that single combination can be given a separate performance. Take Davide’s ‘Strangest thing’ (8 chords); that single combination (out of a possible total of 491,130) can be expanded out to (8-1) x 765 = 5355 variations, and then you start on other modifications to the progression …
Now factor in @TMacD’s operations and it really is tending to humungous numbers of variants
Now you can see why I tore up my original ‘catalogue everything’ plan, re-read your post on the topic, and started again … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s the same reason why I had paused my Scaler-Unify Preset Bank project, as I realized it would be never-ending, and the approach to providing some useful presets out of the gate has to stay focused on a few common or interesting starting points, but cannot ever possibly cover all combinations - aside, this would defeat the purpose of having the interactive tool with its configuration options. If people already complain about the current menu navigation in Scaler, could you imagine how people would feel to scroll through 491130 presets? LOL - perhaps an intelligent tagging to make search practical might do. But then again, really any value in pre-curating all these combinations?

It reminds me of this synth plugin that comes with FL Studio - “Autogun”. It is really just a compact frontend UI for one of their major soft synths. What it does is having a sort of “I feel lucky” button, which randomly picks a preset from the over 4 000 000 000 possible parameter configurations for this synth. When you land on a random one, and nobody else has discovered it yet, you get to give it a name. In time, most of them get “curated” as they get “discovered” - perhaps we can do something similar in Scaler? Gamification :wink:

Copy and pasted for the marketing department!

Oh and there are 50+ new performances coming very soon!

3 Likes

50+ new performances ! Very nice!
When can I add the performance edit function? :rofl:

Great fun watching you guys tease this topic as I wander the ancient streets of Italy.

The massive set of formal combinations combined with the seemingly infinite number of derivative patterns and performances makes this instrument a blast to work with. Since I can’t really play, I have to play with the combinations and I’m constantly looking for ways to swap the variables in real time.

Scaler’s ability to pretty much seamlessly change any of its settings allows for great fun combining, tweaking, and exploring all kinds of different combinations.

In my ideal world, EVERY setting in scalar would be addressable via a keyboard or some other type of MIDI controller so they could be seamlessly incorporated into a performance. The current fixed profile mapping feature is great, but full granular control would be more useful. I’ve tried doing some screen scraping and macro manipulations to access the Scaler controls while playing, but with only limited success.

Thanks again Scaler Team for such a fun musical tool set.

Ciao from Calabria!

4 Likes

performances?

Very little

I love and use way more Phrases

ARGH!
Over 40 °C
I would be never able to cope with
:cold_face:

I rarely use Performances, but the rest yes, very often.

My father is from Cosenza in Calabria and I have spent many a beautiful summer there. We have not been allowed to travel there for the past two years so please send some love from us and make sure you get a local to sing you ‘Calabrisella Mia!’

Consider it delivered and my wife knows the song. Her family is from Spezzano and she has been going there every summer since she was a child. We’ve spent a bunch of time down there when I lived in CH and had dinner in Cosenza on one of our last nights. Leave it to the Italians to drive 40 miles for a certain dish. :slight_smile:

1 Like