Transpose user imported midi

I’d love to be able to import a melody that I’ve recorded in my DAW into Scaler and then have Scaler transpose this into the scales that match the chord sequence in Scaler.

So for example I record a melody in Cm and import it into Scaler. I then select a chord progression in Scaler and ask it to transpose my midi melody to match the chord sequence. I can then export my midi melody back into my DAW, or let Scaler play the melody on my instrument track.

This will let me record in the scales I’m familiar with and use Scaler to experiment with chord progressions using my melody.

That sounds all well and good, except I find the concept flawed and I quite like how Scaler works now, perfectly.

The melody in Cm is not a melody in just Cm. I would imagine that there is a chord progression of some kind. Additionally, with just a one note melody, the chords can be pretty much anything.

Scaler already does what you are suggesting.

1 Like

I found another feature request that describes what I’d like to do better: User Defined Patterns?

I’ve used built-in patterns in a track where the same pattern plays once each time the chords change and sticks to the scale each time. I’d like to record my own pattern and have it do this.

Now we’re starting to talk about what Scaler does best… let’s you play and record your own patterns – already does this. This actually ties your first request into your second.

You set your chords, turn on binding, and then create and edit your patterns. All of this, too, has already been thought of and is done waiting for you.

You should watch the 2.1 Scaler update video if you haven’t already. Some really, really nice features and hidden gems await.

2 Likes

Oh brilliant, there’s so much to Scaler it’s easy to miss some features! I think I was fixated so much on the midi import method to realise that the binding feature will net the same result.

I agree, it’s a matter of focusing a little bit at a time and compiling the amazing creative possibilities hidden in Scaler! The only feature I’d love to see included, as an alternate MIDI input method (Detect), would be one that allows you to play a chord on the MIDI controller, with arpeggio or successive notes, sustained with the pedal, without creating multiple slots by playing the notes separately. as is the normal Scaler mode.

So just after finishing the last sustained note or releasing the pedal, only one slot with the complete chord would be created.

1 Like

hmmm… I don’t know “how” to do it, but it sounds like you want something like this…

Arp the keys (and hold) [can be done with the pedal?] dunno… but…

Everytime the pedal is released the computer fires the keys that are on into Scaler as a chord.

Other than that, I don’t know how you would implement arp’d chords.

But, this is prob on the dev’s table to figure out.

A lot of music has arps. It’s like the duration of the pedal on until pedal off is the duration of the chord…

and the chord is formed by ALL of the notes that are played during the duration that the pedal is held down.

Sounds like a fun programming task that I don’t want to do :stuck_out_tongue:

See… it really is rocket science!

But, in reality that isn’t always the case, as different chords can be stacked upon other chords and there is no limit, essentially. So arps can be composed of MANY different chords, no matter pedal on or pedal off.

It is what it is.

Note to self: It might be fun to use chord detection on an audio file that is played backwards and see what chords Scaler comes up with. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, Scaler MIDI detection as it currently works, it can detect the notes with the sustain pedal activated. The arpeggiated notes are broken down and added to new slots until the chord construction is finished. Of course, you have to release the notes first and then the sustain pedal, otherwise if you leave one or more notes depressed and release the pedal first, Scaler will create one last slot with just those notes held with your fingers.

Creating multiple slots while arpeggiating, which is Scaler’s default mode, is an amazing feature! that let to build a sequence and create libraries of a chord, a simple triad to multiple tensions and extensions added consecutively.

But if we want to create a progression of several chords (played with arpeggio) we will end up with a bunch of extra slots. Eliminate those excess slots can be a bit cumbersome , especially if you have recorded big progressions, you can end up with more than 100 slots that you dont need and must delete manually.

Yes, I added it as feature request already:
https://forum.scalerplugin.com/t/arpeggio-style-note-input-midi-detect-alternate-method/5204/16
I don’t know if for the next version, but I have a feeling that there are a lot of new hot features coming soon. There is an incredible and arduous job for the developers, and the key is to suggest features and be patient, everything will come if it is feasible and necessary.