Trigger and change one finger chords via MIDI?

Hi Everyone,

Loving Scaler 2 so far. Before I ask my question, a bit of background: I have Cerebral Palsy on my right side, mean that my motor skills in my fingers/wrist are limited. In practice, this means I am a one handed Keyboardist.

In the tutorials, Davide shows how He key locks to chord notes, mutes the chords then plays the one finger chords, which then means the melody notes change to enable melody to be played.

Is there a way I can get Scaler to detect and trigger these one finger chords (via MIDI for example) without having to physically press the keys so I can concentrate on melody?

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Yes, this is very possible! Other people might want to add more detail, but as long as you have the input locked to one of the A, B or C lanes, you can trigger the chords via a midi input with just the trigger notes in. It’s very helpful!

2 Likes

Thank you Nickj, I will try that. Looks like I have some learning yet to do!!!

Check out this video, I found it very helpful:

2 Likes

Yes as @Nickj as said.
I guess you could record your chords using one finger.
Then copy chords across to another scaler and mute the chords whilst being in keyslock mode. This allows you to play a melody with one hand also (whilst the silent chords are being triggered).
Most of my scaler work is done with one hand and I would imagine it could help you. I hope it does.
Check this also:

2 Likes

Thanks for you suggestions. I`m assuming I would need to delete the other notes of the chord to ensure the one finger chords trigger correctly? I really must say, this key lock feature enabling lovely, full chords is a revelation especially with the addition of the voice grouping option. It really is helping me express myself musically.

2 Likes

If I understand you correctly yes you would only record the trigger note that triggers the chord whilst having it muted so you can play melody locked to the triggered chord.

1 Like

Hi

why not triggering this (and other things) with a midi foot-switch?

and you can also activate GUI items using your voice and Dragon Naturally Speaking

Thats a really great idea! Out of the box thinking, I love it!

I explored those alternatives many year ago when I started my 2nd career as a translator, and I found that a keyboard and a mouse were not always the more comfy option

I remember I found a lot of new ideas on websites for people with various disabilities
for example I remember a mouse driven by head movements

it was in the 2000 years so I think much more options are available nowadays
I googled a bit just now and found that

and this also

while here is a list of footswitches for music