Updates break existing projects with Scaler

Hi Ed,

I just tested this - installed the update, manually deleted the VST 2 plugin (my project uses VST 3), and then ran Cakewalk & opened my project - it couldn’t find the VST 3 plugin. I then restored the VST 2, and deleted the VST 3, ran Cakewalk & opened my project and it also couldn’t find the plugin. So it definitely does not see either of those as the updated version of Scaler. I then reran the installer for the old version, opened my project and it sees the plugin again.

Thanks for the update, sorry it didn’t help.

We plan on releasing an update (probably next week) that will contain a few tools for you to be able to re-import the state of your session in the latest version.

Hi Ed,

Thanks - will these tools allow opening the existing project and bringing in the old status into the new version of Scaler even though the old version is missing, or will it require exporting the status of each project prior to updating?

You will have to export the state of Scaler out of your project file, it can be done easily with Cakewalk. We will prepare a step by step guide to make it easier.

Hi Ed,

Isn’t that already possible now, by saving a user preset? The problem is going through all the existing projects to do this, which makes it a huge chore. And then what happens at the next update? It all has to be done again? This really should not be necessary.

Exporting the chords is only one part as it will not export the other parameters.

It shouldn’t be necessary I know, this is why we are adding those to help you, other DAWs do not have this problem.

Other plugins also do not have this problem in Cakewalk. If you are certain that Cakewalk is the problem then I will report the issue to them.

OK. I figured it out. It does back up the chord progression, but not in the chord builder below where you originally created it. The backed up chord progression shows up AT THE TOP area where the Artist, Song, etc field is. I was looking for the saved progression to reload into the chord builder again when recalled. All is good here, but is there a way to easily reload the saved progression back into the builder for, say, if you want to close out of the program having not completed a desired progression but you want to continue building the progression at a later time? To do this now, I have to reload these chords one by one back into the builder. Is there an easier way to do something like this?

:grinning:John B.

You can use the « copy to builder » button located in the left part of the section A.

Sounds good. I’ll try that. Thanks Ed.
:grinning:JB

So just to be clear are you saying this problem that we’re having here w/ Scaler updating properly in Cakewalk - even though no other plugin manufacturer is having this update issue w/ Cakewalk - is going to be the case w/ every update going forward and will always require a workaround to hopefully make it work? I get that you’re saying Cakewalk is the only daw w/ this issue, but I still think a stronger argument is that no other manufacturer is having this update problem with Cakewalk other than Scaler. Since you’re able to reproduce the problem is there really no one on your end who can come up w/ a fix?

Hi @boomboomchild

I can’t be sure at this stage what Cakewalk will do with future update…

I just ran a simple test and I ended up even more confused. I have created a new project in Cakewalk and loaded Scaler 1.8 (latest version). I saved my project then uninstalled 1.8 and installed 1.6.1.
When I reopen my project, Cakewalk load Scaler 1.6.1 directly which shows that it sees the different versions as the same plugin.

Cakewalk seems to be confused by the update, it is not related to the plugin identifier otherwise it couldn’t make the link between 1.8 and 1.6.1.

Sorry I cannot help you guys much further at this stage. I have been browsing Cakewalk forums and there are a lot of threads with plugins issue like this one and none of them seem to offer a solution.