Using Edit Command Mappings consistently crashing Scaler when using specific saved sessions

When certain User Session States are loaded, the Edit Command Mappings feature (accessed from all 3 place in the UI) crashes Scaler and the host UI with no messages displayed and occurs before the Edit Mappings window appears. This happens consistently when the attached files are loaded, but I’ve not been able to recreate the process of creating these kinds of corrupted files.

This was tested on 2 machines and in 2 hosts.

Attached are 3 example session state files. Each of which will create the unstable state that causes Scaler to crash when accessing the Edit Command Mappings feature.

All files were created with the Save button in pane 4 and loaded using both the User button in pane 1 or the menus under the Scaler logo.

Classical 1-Session-2021-12-12.xml (13.1 KB)
Classic 2-Session-2021-12-12.xml (13.1 KB)
Monday Morning-Session-2021-12-11.xml (16.8 KB)

Thanks!

Any thoughts on this dev?

@Bernd or @jamieh Do you get a similar crash?

Scaler Crash

Using your sessions - yes as soon as I click the Edit Command Button Scaler just crashes. My own sessions don’t seem to do that as a random check.
I’m on Mac 10.13.6. Tested in Blue Cat’s Patchwork.

I suppose there are many folk who have not seen “the Longest Day”, “Sons of Kate Elder” etc that they put on a Christmas, but at my age I’m on the nth repeat - so, TV off, and to the board.

I edited the last XML file, and took out all the Live links references and it loads ok and goes to the mapping section. The original, as you noted, crashes in Cantabile, but the Event Manager logs

Application: Cantabile.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
at Topten.WindowsAPI.WinApi.DispatchMessage(MSG ByRef)
at GuiKit.Application+#=zGRuzvhI0tJnA8WVdDJM3LYg=.#=zlUzMG7xieSYAk759ng==()
at GuiKit.Application.#=z1cCxGDtCnfA1(System.Func`1<System.Object>)
at Cantabile.Program.Main(System.String[])
at #=zcmsBD19MRAXcjdrE5UvkoguAY7Wu1E$KeeHpY4g=.Main(System.String[])

which might be useful to 'Ed1 . It’s certainly due to the

IToggleLiveSettingsProps id=“5”>
IToggleLiveSettingsProps id=“1” type=“5” expressionSetUuid=“a15c4878aeca45a9a2a054ca3a81c7ec”
expressionResolutionId=“50” expressionLatchOn=“0” expressionBoundNotesOnly=“1”
expressionQuantizeOn=“1”/>
IToggleLiveSettingsProps id=“2” scaleLock=“0” scaleLockMode=“1”/>
IToggleLiveSettingsProps id=“3” isVoicingPreviewOn=“0” voicingProfileId=“110” highestNote=“127”
lowestNote=“0”/>
IToggleLiveSettingsProps id=“4” isHumanizeOn=“0” humanizeProfileId=“2100”/>
/IToggleLiveSettingsProps>

which I haven’t yet seen before in the State Files.
It’s actually quite weird and I’m trying to figure out why the chords don’t play with the voicing as expected after a 10 second examination.

1 Like

Cool, just wanted to be sure it was happening consistently and across platforms. Unfortunately, since I can’t load those command mappings, I can’t tell what might be causing it.

I know I was messing around with timing and quantization but I really don’t want to take the time to parse and compare all the XML so I’ll leave that to bigger brains like @yorkeman :slight_smile:

Thanks for confirming!

As I predicted. :slight_smile:

oh no! and now “Around the world in 8-0 days” and “Death in Paradise” … I’m trying to find OANN for some light relief.

I’m trying to find out if Pearson Sharp does a parody spot or if he’s actually for real in the USA today …

1 Like

Just for the record, the chords were nothing but fillers I was using while exploring patterns driven through voicing + timing + quantization + instrument variations. :slight_smile:

FWIW, here is an example of command mapping xml that consistently crash my Scaler. These were taken from the Classical 1 Session and the Monday Morning Sessions above. All uploaded session files were exported directly from Scaler. No edited files were uploaded other than the extracted XML below.

Each session loaded fine when these command mappings were removed and when these were added to fresh session exports with no mappings set, the crashes resumed. No idea exactly where the offending XML is, but it is in there somewhere. :slight_smile:

Taken from Classical 1 Session above

<CommandMapping>
        <Key type="2" midi="3.vFPR"/>
        <Command id="22">
          <IToggleLiveSettingsProps id="5">
            <IToggleLiveSettingsProps id="1" type="5" expressionSetUuid="b319c83e81394e2aa6340e144f20d7c3"
                                      expressionResolutionId="200" expressionLatchOn="0" expressionBoundNotesOnly="1"
                                      expressionQuantizeOn="1"/>
            <IToggleLiveSettingsProps id="2" scaleLock="0" scaleLockMode="1"/>
            <IToggleLiveSettingsProps id="3" isVoicingPreviewOn="0" voicingProfileId="110" highestNote="127"
                                      lowestNote="0"/>
            <IToggleLiveSettingsProps id="4" isHumanizeOn="1" humanizeProfileId="2100"/>
          </IToggleLiveSettingsProps>
        </Command>
      </CommandMapping>

Taken from Monday Morning Session above

<CommandMapping>
        <Key type="2" midi="3.vFPR"/>
        <Command id="22">
          <IToggleLiveSettingsProps id="5">
            <IToggleLiveSettingsProps id="1" type="5" expressionSetUuid="b319c83e81394e2aa6340e144f20d7c3"
                                      expressionResolutionId="200" expressionLatchOn="0" expressionBoundNotesOnly="1"
                                      expressionQuantizeOn="1"/>
            <IToggleLiveSettingsProps id="2" scaleLock="0" scaleLockMode="1"/>
            <IToggleLiveSettingsProps id="3" isVoicingPreviewOn="0" voicingProfileId="110" highestNote="127"
                                      lowestNote="0"/>
            <IToggleLiveSettingsProps id="4" isHumanizeOn="1" humanizeProfileId="2100"/>
          </IToggleLiveSettingsProps>
        </Command>
      </CommandMapping>

Slow day up here in the mountains but I have learned that the crashing is related to Humanize being active and likely in Quantize mode:

If ID 4 - IsHumanize is set to 1 in either of these two command mappings, Scaler crashes but I’ve not determined what other settings are involved.

Yup, in Bitwig the plugins are sandboxed so a plugin crash doesn’t take down the whole DAW, but definitely threw an exception so the sandbox got terminated. Not sure how to get debug details though :-/

And in Maschine 2.7

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Maschine 2.exe
Application Version: 2.14.6.4
Application Timestamp: 61ae1bd5
Fault Module Name: Scaler2.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 61948b4c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000001a5968
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0af6
Additional Information 2: 0af6ce7224245c2c2277aa08a75cc181
Additional Information 3: a273
Additional Information 4: a27343e0aba892cc00d137f40b78cde8

Thanks. I suspect it is up to the boys and girls and others down under. :slight_smile:

I almost always save with humanize on and those sessions behave fine. Some other interaction involved no doubt.

Reproducible Crash

It seems the Session file issue was a bit of a red herring as it was just delivering the corrupt command mapping. No need to save/export to reproduce.

There are 2 ways to generate this crash one without an error and one with.

1. With Humanize enabled (any type) Create a command mapping by right clicking on Perform. Then right click Perform and click Edit Mapping
    Crash with no error message

2. With Humanize enabled use Scaler Logo to create command mapping and map to RECALL PLAYBACK SETTINGS.
    Crash occurs as soon as you save the mapping. Wish I had found this 10 hours ago. :slight_smile:

They will be in a good mood (If they watch cricket) because they are thrashing the old country in Melbourne…

1 Like

We are looking at this already. It will be fixed in the next patch.