WAP Bring Instachord to Version 2

If I get this right, the main new features are:

• A pattern generator is embedded (other plugins might refer to it as an “arpeggiator”)
  • A way to generate progressions and note patterns using “AI” (which may or may not be a buzzword for “pseudorandom with a couple of rules thrown in for good measure)
  • Custom chord shapes
  • MIDI notes can now trigger some transpositions

Which may be a worthwhile upgrade, for those who of us own Instachord 1 (it often went on sale for a low price or in a bundle).

That seems like a program worth trying.

Sure. Let us know what you think.
I tried the demo version. Wasn’t wowed by the new features. (I haven’t used Instachord 1 much, partly because of the overall UX and workflow. Better experience with Scaler.)

I didn’t like the show at all. Scaler is much nicer to use.

1 Like

Thoughts on Instachord 2:

Like @Enkerli I bought Instachord 1 but was not really enthused by its workflow

and have found Scaler to be much better for generating chord progressions with the Suggest button on Section C and the CHORD page. Scaler 2 is also excellent for modal changes. with the MOD page
extension packs.

I think the chords sequences are (and certainly the extension packs) are aimed more at genres of EDM.

However Instachord 2 does have a ARP/pattern sequencer with a random pattern generator, which can generate melody and bass lines, and chordal sequences. And you can generate and play up to 24 sequences! The sequences are organised into two groups called Pick A and Pick 2B. Each pattern is triggered by notes in the ranges C5-B5 and C6-B6 respectively.

The factory loaded patters include 19 sets of Riffs with each set having 6 different patterns and 18 sets of arpeggios each of 4 different patterns. Finally there are 17 sets of “strum” patterns. Each sequence can be edited very easily, and it supports midi out drag and drop so you can drag each sequence onto your DAW.

I can see a workflow whereby I may use Scaler 2 to create a chord sequence, and the use Instachord 2 sequence generator to generate melodic and harmonic sequences based on the output from Scaler 2.

Alternatively, if you create a chord sequence that you like with Instachord 2 then record it as midi, detect the midi With scaler 2 and then use Scaler 2 to vary the sequence or extend it.

In conclusion at this stage I feel that, in the absence of any sequencer in Scaler, the pattern generator may make Instachord 2 interesting at the introductory upgrade price but overall IMHO

Plugin Boutique have a video here demonstrating Instachord 2.

Of course if ou want a good free arpeggiator there is also the Stochas probablistic polyrhythmic sequencer which is open source.

There is a good video about how it can be used on the Reaper website here by Kenny Gioia

Perhaps for some genres EDM perhaps this is a product for you but I found it very distinctly missing a lot of options as default plug and play on Scaler.

Hi @drdawgy

I agree that Instachord 2 is geared more towards the EDM market and as I said above

I do prefer Scaler2 to Instachord 2

:smiley: No problem. My answer was unbox default and plug and play. I just use scaler to help me with chord progressions than making sequences.

I saw instachord does that (which I own too), but to me you have to do a lot with the midi to make it more humanised at a mix level.

For me the strum and other patterns both Scaler and Insta fall flat IMHO with ‘strum’ and guitar progressions (out of the box which really says ‘strum’) say vs. dedicated programs.

I’m waiting for Obscurium to drop and I got another AI creation program (for ideas) but I need to upgrade the OS. Not used it, but I’m hoping it’ll take me in a direction of composition which’ll go tonally where I want to go. Now off topic :smiley:

1 Like

Excellent point! It’s a bit better than it was, as it now has velocity. Still, way too “robotic”.
In fact, that’s becoming a pet peeve of mine, these days. There’s room for robotic music, of course. (I went to a Kraftwerk show, a few weeks ago. The recordings are more enjoyable than the performance.) It’s just that I feel a lot of MusicTech is about creating things with very little expressiveness. Not only strictly adhering to “the grid”. Sound designers distribute patches which aren’t even velocity-sensitive!

I think Scaler and similar plugins can do a lot to humanize things, including through modulation and automation or with onboard sounds.

Maybe offtopic, strictly speaking. Still useful.
Is there a thread about how all of these tools relate to one another and to ways we integrate Scaler with them?