What do you want in Scaler 3.0?

What I want in scaler 3 is that it is easier to compose for single brass, strings or woodwinds instead of for (complete) orchestras

something like with the bass

Wish the chord suggestion dialog got bigger. It would be nice to be able to select the genre of music and then choose the next chord. And it is better to have the nearest BASS hint of the chord.

For example, C-G-Am-C will automatically become C-G/B-Am-C/G

There is also the above performance mode, whether it is ARP, BASS or chord rhythm, you can open a new dialog box, and then we can edit in it, and then drag and drop the edited midi.

Chance and or probability. Logic random generator with parameters to keep it musical. Deeper midi control to select changes to menu items like perform, key lock voicing humanize.

1 Like

It could be me with my limited knowledge of the tool, and my apologies in advance. What I would like to see is a full midi output which would include the melody, the bass, the rhythmic all tuned together based on the same generative content and key.

Once again, I do not see this in the current version, unless, as specified, I haven’t discovered it yet due to the lack of my deep knowledge of the software.

Thank you for the opportunity!

It’s basically already there. Under preferences go to Enable Multi-voice output. This lets Scaler send the notes that make up a chord get sent to different MIDI channels - Whole chord on Channel 1, Bass on Channel 2, etc. You can implement this is your DAW to different tracks set to receive different channels.
Each DAW is different.
Check it out here…

1 Like

Thank you very much Jamieh for your reply and the overall help/guidance. It’s very much appreciated. Definitely, I will get this going. All the very best!

Just for reference, other multi-timbral plugins that I know work using the ScalerControl MIDI effect are:
UVI Falcon with its MultiOut presets
woodSynth
Wavesequencer’s Hyperion using its Combi presets and assigning different MIDI channels to each
Layer in the Combi

Scaler 3 play music with your computer keyboard !

I cannot stress it enough: a better way to drive solo instruments in sync with Scaler chords
it rarely works now, and too few notes are available, at the point I usually prefer the Bitwig tools, and I even regret Ableton Scales

1 Like

The best idea is to just focus on music theory instead of sound or performance. I would like to see quintal and quartal chords other than of triad chords. Also Jazz theory would be really nice to add in.

1 Like

I use those chords all the time in Scaler now. Scaler is far more than Triad chords already. Quintal and quartal are a big part of film music that I use. It’s all there. Plus you can spell out any chords you want on the Chord page.

Do you mean the CHORD page where you can create any chord you want?

(Note the Amin is an open chord)

1 Like

Yes, the chord edit page. Sorry that was unclear.

User-defined voicings.

1 Like

I think you can already create these on the CHORD page (see Introduction to the CHORD Page, The Chord Page: Entering Custom Chords and The Chord Page: Inversions under Tutorials topic, and the Scaler 2 Course Module 3 - Exploring the Chord Window),

ADDENDUM: Another option would be to play the chords in and record them using the detect function. This works very well with block chords from a midi device, but the chord may not be given the name that you expect as Scaler assigns names based on its interpretation of the scale.

1 Like

Thanks, I am aware of the workarounds. Think it would raise Scaler to the next level if user-defined voicings could be applied.

I wouldn’t call the CHORD page a

but just to clarify do you mean that you would like to be able to define and store a voicing scheme that could then be applied to any chord, rather than having to create a voicing for each chord in a pattern?

Again having created a voicing for one chord you could then simply “extract the voicing” and “apply the voicing” to each chord in a pattern.

I should say that I am not against the idea of user defined voicings, in fact I think it could be useful to create voicings and store them for future use. I just don’t find the

too onerous.

1 Like

Yes, I mean voicings that will be applied automatically to any chord. This could be achieved with a skin that lets you transpose any interval individually up or down. The triads inverted voicing changes in between different voicings. Which it shouldn´t do.

Just joined up so that I can comment. Only had Scaler for a few days, loving it already despite only scratching the surface.

Like others, most or all suggestions I might have had you covered in your video. Two comments then:

Am absolutely in favour of Scaler 3 following the pattern of many other VSTs out there by coming in two versions; standalone and purely as a plugin (instrument). It would seem reasonable to then charge two prices, the full version for those who either don’t own a DAW and/or just want to use Scalar in their own way, and those who need it purely to drive their own instruments (think Kontakt etc.)

Other thing I’d really like to see comes from my use of Bitwig. Being very modular, one has access to just about every conceivable parameter. This means that when loading an instrument (e.g. synth) I have direct access to its sound be that the generation or audio file. Thus I can edit every aspect of each sound produced e.g. delay, attack, gain, etc. as well as apply FX.

I’d like Scalar to be accessible in this way as a plugin. If I’m driving an instrument with it, then of course I can edit the instrument, but even as someone very new to making music, I can see that there are many cases when being able to manipulate sound from the controller itself is an invaluable help.

1 Like