Which Daw do you use?

I want to share with you something that happened to me.
I always use FL Studio
Until recently, I tried studio one
I found that studio one is very well designed.
The logic is reasonable and the operation is fast
I’m very familiar with FL Studio, so I didn’t think about using any other.
The design idea of FL Studio is to make the pattern first, then put the pattern into playlist, and finally make a complete song.
So when I use it, I usually make paragraphs separately and finally arrange them together.
But recently when I was editing the piano, I found a lot of problems, inconvenient.
So I tried studio one
Unexpectedly, it took me only half an hour to do songs with studio one
You can easily search for musical instruments and effectors
MIDI editor can edit a single track or mix multiple tracks in piano roll.
The most important thing is that many softwares are annotated in studio one. You can see them in the keyboard, which brings convenience to editing.
In terms of recording, studio one is obviously more convenient than FL Studio. FL Studio Recording has always been troublesome.
I feel that studio one is a good Daw
It’s not an advertisement. It’s my personal experience. I suggest you try it.
Now my scaler is also allowed in studio one
It’s more convenient than FL Studio to change plug-in and voice
MIDI conversion audio, drag and drop can be very fast.
Most importantly, studio one also has a pattern function, which is similar to a drumming machine. It’s fun.
I also found studio one suitable for live performance, rehearsal and live broadcast.
I’m still studying it slowly

I started with Cakewalk by Band Lab, mainly because it is free and I’d watched Creative Sauce on YouTube and was happy with it, all be it a steep learning curve. This is just a hobby for me but I then got some monitors and soon realised that the headphone output on my laptop wasn’t good enough so got an audio interface and Studio one Artist came with it, so that is my go to Daw, it is so much easier to use.

2 Likes

Pro Tools and Studio One

1 Like

Logic Pro X mainly but I also use Ableton Live and love Reason but just sits a little outside my workflow even though it is intensely fun.

2 Likes

Studio One Pro in my full DAW and been using it for 5+ years. I think the guys at PreSonus rock Then it would be Rolland Zen Beats, Maschine Software & MPC beats for quick sketch work and dance track type stuff.

Zen Beats is definitely the sleeper here and one I use often when exploring ideas. While a bit “toy” like in terms of interface and limited in many ways, the simplicity makes it quick, it is rock solid and it plays very, very well with Scaler not requiring some of the hoops necessary for Studio One. Rolland’s purchase a year ago and subsequent incorporation of their other mainstream instruments means there is likely a long life ahead for it. I’ve never seen any comments on Zen Beats so I suspect I’m one of the few that use it regularly (or at least admit to it) but it is a great little DAW.

1 Like

I started out with Maschine (the hardware controller comes with a DAW-like sequencer software)
Some people would dispute it is a “real” DAW, but I find it more focused on getting the things it can do done, and not get sidetracked by all kinds of bells and whistles. I think Maschine is optimized for performance versus production. I got Maschine because of the hardware, not the software. It has its limitations, most notably that you cannot make use of MIDI generating plugins. Beautifully, Maschine the “DAW” can be used as plugin in “real” DAWs.

Next, I got FL Studio, because it looked like a more intuitive user interface compared to the “traditional” DAWs. Over time, as I became a power user, I found FL Studio work flow tedious and limiting in some regards (for some reason that you need to have the mixer panel in focus for the midi controller to control it).

I got a free version of Ableton 10 Live (Lite), that came with another controller. I’ve been exploring and using Ableton due to its vast market share and many others who I communicate or collaborate with seem to be using it too, so it’s like a common language. English as a language is cumbersome and limited, but it is useful as a world language to connect with other people on earth, our forum here point in case :wink:

My latest acquisition was Bitwig 3. The way I mostly use music software and my MIDI controller setup is for very experimental, combinatory music instrument creation and mashups, on the fly. I have a very unique style in that I build my own ensembles out of parts, while I perform. Kinda like a modular synth user, but with software pieces and midi controllers. For that Bitwig opened a lot of new doors of opportunity, with its most flexible routing and modulation features, compared to the other DAWs I have or heard about.

I also use the iPad, but I can’t warm up to a DAW like workflow on iOS, but use AUM heavily to tie together my various iPad synths, which I also can connect into the PC-based DAWs via the iConnectMidi kit.

At this point I think I am done acquiring DAWs, and focus rather on more plugins and synth presets :wink:

3 Likes

Gibson did me a favour dropping Cakewalk Sonar as this made me go to Studio One pro. Prosonus gave me a crossgrade offer at the time which tempted me over.
Never looked back since and my workflow has improved greatly.
I like it that Presonus are always looking at ways to improve and listen to the customers too.

2 Likes

Tried and hated it immediately, like many others DAWs I tried
:rofl:

I use a computer since the eighties and I used one zillion of SW do far

One rule I always used is that if a software doesn’t work out-of-the-box without reading the manual, it will be thrown in the garbage bin, and DAWs aren’t different

Ableton (Lite 10 first, then Standard 11) came with a mini keyboard and worked immediately, while with all the others DAWs I was unable to have one sound out after having clicked anywhere :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

After about one year I also tried Reaper but hated it very soon due to the clumsy GUI and I re-sold it

YMMV

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that with my Android smartphone I use n-Track Pro that was selected the same way

1 Like

I bought Cakewalk (v2.1) years ago when the only choices of midi sequencer (no DAW’s then) were that, Cubase and Emagic Notator (Logic). I used, and still do from time to time, what is now Adobe Audition for audio editing (then called ‘Cool Edit’)

Because I had a lot of hardware, I used the excellent SoundQuest MidiQuest as a librarian and editor.

I then move to Live, and have stayed with that as my preferred choice.

Current and past gear (too much to list here) at http://www.alphabase.co.uk/music-gear-old-and-new/

1 Like

I’ve used all of them. Starting with Digital Performer 4 and Logic Audio V3. I used Studio One when it first came out and stayed with it up till 4. At some point I switched to Ableton Live v9 and still use that a lot. Cubase 11 is now my preferred DAW for Film work. I even tried FL studio for Mac and found it so bound up by strange work flow and bizarre layouts. I never kept going on it. There is no way I ever would have been able to use FL Studio for creative music.

2 Likes

I’ve been using FL Studio for many years
The earliest FL Studio is a sampling software, with a variety of wav do loop
Finally, music came into being.
Because I don’t understand music theory and like dance music, I always use it
My song structure is very simple.
But now with scaler, my music is rich
FL Studio is not suitable for me in some small places
However, FL Studio is still very strong in some aspects, such as dance music and loop

Actually, I used studio one twice
After the first installation, did not understand, not familiar with, deleted the demo version. About three minutes.
This time I used it for half an hour and watched the teaching of Youtube. I think studio one is great. If you have time, you can have a look.
It’s very convenient to use. It’s really convenient

Do not wonder strictly Davinci Resolve with Unify as VST host. For me the workflow is the best for Dialogue Scenes and a mastering in Dolby Atmos

1 Like

OK got it!
You are a FL vendor
:rofl:

1 Like

@tocan

I was just thinking that this forum seemed strangely populated by men only

Now, I am thinking that maybe other are around incognito
:grinning:

Good to know
(without any ulterior motives :wink:)

1 Like

:sweat_smile:
I belong to scaler :ghost: :sweat_smile: :grinning: :joy:
:kissing_heart:

1 Like

The DAW I use the most is Ableton Suite 10. I have everything there. But … to have multiple midi outputs in Ableton I have to use Element and loopmidi. Luckily I got (thanks to a rabbit composer :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) a version of Reaper, which allows me to seamlessly route multiple tracks and MIDI inputs and outputs. It is very useful for me since later I export those midis to edit the scores. I also have Reason Intro. It’s fun and easy to use, but it also has problems with midi outputs. I use it as Vst in Ableton and Reaper

3 Likes

I’m a Reaper man myself. I used Steinberg’s Pro24 and then Cubase back in the day but after a long hiatus I was looking for a DAW and Reaper’s free trial appealed to me and my pocket. I have no particular drum to beat but I find Reaper very intuitive to use, and it’s flexibility, continued development and a very supportive user community mean I feel no urge to transfer my loyalty. So far, I haven’t found anything I’ve not been able to do in Reaper.

5 Likes

Ughh, finding right DAW is such a pain. In order of appearance on my hard drive: Garage Band, Reason, Ableton, Maschine, Reaper, FL Studio, Studio One. I guess FL Studio is the one that works for me the best. Still keeping Reason (because it’s just fun to play) and Ableton (for abondance of online tutorials :wink: ) .