Wrong chord detected?

I’m still learning theory, but wouldn’t this chord (with the notes in this order on the piano), be Aadd2?

A-B-C#-E

Scaler is showing it as Aadd9, but the B isn’t the top note. I’ve seen other weird and wrong (?) interpretations like this, so it’s not an isolated case. It happens on both incoming MIDI detection, and manually tapping the notes on the piano while on the “3 CHORD” page.

Welcome @armandhammer
Theory is theory so it’s open to interpretation but generally you favour the chord extensions of Root,3,5,7,9th of a chord - remembering that a 9th degree is the same as a second just an octave up. So sure you could be adding a second but most software will refer to it as a 9th in order of preference. 2nd would mostly be referred to in a SUS2 (C, D, G).
Other theorists here can chime in but I would say either is right and don’t worry about it too much.
Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. It’s my understanding so far that chords can be named in many different ways, depending on the scale or even what chords might be played before or after. But in general, the name is supposed to convey exactly what notes are played and a reference to the relationship of the notes to one another.

So it still seems that Aadd2 and Aadd9 are not the same thing, because one indicates that the B is the 2nd and the other indicates that the B is the 9th one octave up – is this not 100% correct? Is there some rule that invalidates my interpretation of this?

We could discuss this forever with no conclusion but you got it in one with

Traditional theorists would argue the an add2 clearly defines the 2 above the root as opposed to the 9 above the octave but modernists and Jazz theorists consider them all the same thing for many reasons. Just like modernists consider the sus2 superfluous as it is just an inversion of the sus4.
Most software consider add2 and add9 the same thing and label as add9 too.

I guess what I am saying is the it doesn’t really matter.