You guys should put Scaler together with Soundpaint! :)

Hi peeps–

Get thee hence to Soundpaint, if you haven’t already.

New sampling technology, grown out of the 8DIO company. New synth engine, more than forty new extremely deep sampled instruments currently available, none of them more than $USD 100.

No Kontakt. No end user license agreements. You own what you buy.

Soundpaint VST works a treat in the DAW of your choice. Fantastic for scoring. Works brilliantly with Scaler!!!

I think you mean there are no written agreements. The fact that one party treats with another creates an implied agreement; although it can be opaque what it is (which is why they get written down)

However, if you “own” something it is yours and you can prevent any future sales (and sue the original seller for breach of your Intellectual Property if he continues to sell it) and then if you wish you can then grant licences to use to others.

So, buy one of their items for USD 20, then having gained full title, licence it out at USD 15 many tines over. There must be a flaw here …

Soundpaint is a wonderful instrument but you don’t own the sounds. The player is free and you get some super nice free sounds with it and more freebies coming all the time. Sounds are quite reasonable to buy from $20 up to $80. But you aren’t free to sell the sounds and make money of of them. Nor should you be.

Before anyone tries to sell anything from Soundpaint I suggest you read the licence which is under the terms and conditions link at the bottom of the page.

This limits your installations to to seats (i.e computers) and prohibits you from selling any of the sounds and samples.

The license for this product is granted only to a single user. You may use this product on up to two (2) separate computers, which computers shall be owned and used by you exclusively. If you need more, special arrangements may be made on a case-by-case basis. All sounds and samples in this product are licensed, but not sold, to you by Soundpaint™ for commercial and non-commercial use in music, sound-effect, audio/video post-production, performance, broadcast or similar finished content-creation and production use.

Soundpaint™ allows you to use any of the sounds and samples in the library(s) you’ve purchased for commercial recordings without paying any additional license fees or providing source attribution to Soundpaint™.

Sorry Adrian, nice try.

As an aside, even if there was no written agreement I believe that the intellectual property (IP), ie. the ownership, resides with the original creator, unless it has been explicitly transferred to someone else. Simply paying to use a piece of software and or sound library does not transfer the IP.

If you ever get a “free” piece of software, or downoad some sounds always try to get a copy of the licence (see the recent court case with Ed Sheeran).

I know this case is about plagiarism, but the principle is the same.

Having said all of this, some sounds and other creative pieces, including songs, are licenced using one of the versions of the Creative Commons licence.. Again in these cases you should check the licence.

1 Like

Ah. @davide has previously pointed out that my feeble attempts at humour using tongue in cheek English sarcastic vernacular often got missed by those who are not citizens of this green isle. {He is sort of an honorary Englishman]
I wasn’t serious suggesting that @adrian should on sell something, just pointing out the illogicality in that obvious arbitrage.

1 Like

I didn’t think you were serious, Yorkeman,but I thught this may be a good opportunity to warn people of some of the pitfalls around ip and “free” software, loops and sounds.

It is very easy to inadvertently get caught out; it happens to the best of us (cf copyright cases with songs by many famous composers, especially in the pop world).

I also wanted to point out that there is a licence agreement on the Soundpaint website.

I posted that because I’m trying to wean myself off that characteristic. In fact, I didn’t spot the T+C’s (I only gave the site a cursory look through) so your comment was very relevant and it is indeed a really valid warning. and your post was very welcome!

Thank you Yorkerman.