Absolute Newbie Seeking for Guidance

Hi there friends! Please bear with me…

I’m an absolute newbie, and I mean it, I don’t even know any music theory! But I love to make melodies, and I’m trying to learn as much as I can to make them better.

I’ve been playing with MIDIS for a while, making simple medieval style bard songs, and even though I’m super ignorant when it comes to music, I like how they sound (I’m aware that they must be terrible, but still, I can’t stop making them! :rofl:)

I found out about Scaler 2, and this incredible options that it checks your MIDI, detects the scale, and informs you of which notes are wrong, and I decided to initiate myself in the use of Scaler 2, to see if I could learn some music theory at the same time I develop my silly songs.

So I’ve been looking at the Youtube videos, and even though they are very well done, I’ve noticed that they are missing information for the super newbies like me. So I thought I might try to find some guidance here?

You are all very advanced musicians, and I’m like a clueless child, but I’m very eager to learn and make my songs as good as I can.

I would really appreciate it if you could spare some of your time and knowledge to answer to my super basic level questions. I hope that’s okay! :melting_face:

Thank you so much for reading my introduction, I’m very happy to be here.

I hope to meet many wonderful, kind, and patient musicians to help me navigate this amazing tool and hopefully become a better bard! :notes:

Welcome to Scaler! Ask away Good Sir! Someone will help out anon!

1 Like

Thanks! So, the first question is, and forgive me is it’s been said before (I just couldn’t find it anywhere), is there a way to check if the rhythm of my MIDI is correct?

I have tried the Perform option, but it performs in the same rhythm I had, and I’m pretty sure that my rhythm is wrong.

How can I check if the speed I played is good?
Thanks in advance!

Tough question!
Rhythm is the placement of sounds in time, in a regular and repeated pattern. ’
Or are you asking about tempo which is the measurement of the speed of the song .

Scaler defaults to the Tempo you set (or the tempo of your DAW) and places the number of beats/bar based on how you set the Setup within Scaler. When you turn on Performance, the engin takes over to play the rhythms which are part of each performance setting. Is this close to what you are asking??

1 Like

Thanks for your answer :slight_smile: Yes, I meant tempo! haha I’m very sorry, I don’t know the proper words :face_with_peeking_eye:

I wanted to know if there is an option to check that the notes fit well in the tempo I chose, and if they don’t it highlights them for me, or even push them to the proper place?

Thanks!

Seems like you are looking for quantization in MIDI?

Quantizing means moving recorded audio or MIDI and positioning it on the nearest grid position that is musically relevant. Quantizing is designed to correct errors, but you can also use it in a creative way. You can quantize audio and MIDI to a grid or to a groove. I am not fully aware how Scaler would handle this other than I suspect when it plays the midi is square on the grid, but when you play - well it will be what ever you do. I would check this in my DAW with the midi editing features it provides. Scaler does not provide these midi editing tools.

1 Like

Thank you @MusicStudent That’s exactly what I was looking for! :slight_smile:

I’ve been checking more tutorials and I’m starting to get the hand of the plugin. It’s really everything they promised! :sparkles: But every video I found so far was for developing very modern music.

Is there any tutorial about how to make more traditional guitar chords?

Like, what would be the procedure to make a bard song? The melody is already defined by the MIDI, and the only requirement is to make it play like a performer would with their lute. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @srpgen Does this help?

1 Like

Thank you for the video! But no, this is also too modern, and the guitarist is already playing really cool chords from the start.

What I have is a melody with simple notes in MIDI of the song I want to sing, and I want to make it sound like someone is playing it, and get a background rhythm (is it called bass?), so it would sound something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz97NAcMsU8