Magenta tools? And what might those be?

this one maybe @jamieh ?

WOW! this is amazing and funny, very funny

And now I hope an AI to generate texts will jump out soon
I donā€™t need a new Pulitzer :grin:
Just some cool rigmaroles to sing on my jamming

Yep. Google Magenta-Making Music with MIDI and Machine Learning - Ā 

1 Like

Ah yes, I had looked at those a long tome ago. I think I finally removed them from my computer as I only used them a couple times.

Instacomposer is on offer at Plugin Boutique https://www.pluginboutique.com/ for Ā£22.

Cheap enough to buy to try. IMHO, no one support / ideas tool is likely to do everything an individual user needs, and I suspect that one might end up with 2 - 4 of things things optimally. For me, Scaler is still the sun with some of these things orbiting at various distances (if you will excuse the astronomical analogy).

As yet, I havenā€™t found anything else that gives the same theory and compositional insights as scaler, .as someone who is trying to improve his musical knowledge, and try an get to a point where I might be able to create something original on my own.

Hi @jjfagot do Magenta tools work with Ableton Standard or just with Ableton Suite?

from what I read the Magenta plugins are based on Max, so that would require Ableton Suite with Max4Live.

2 Likes

Ok, then my Min4Dead will not work
:hot_face: :joy:

Magenta tools are MAX instruments.
If you ableton version have MAX you can use them
I donā€™t know if Ableton Live Standard come with MAX

Nope, as I said I just have Min4Deadā€¦
:joy:

Joking aside, I can add it to Ableton Live Standard, but Iā€™m not very interested: any tool linked to ā€œprogrammingā€ gives me the shivers

OK, I used mu patience and spent several hours over four days in order to test Instacomposer.
I used chord progressions as in Scaler and, first, could not find F#/Gb dim. F# is there, Gb is there, but diminished were so diminished I did not see them.

I dragged some melodies from IC to my DAW, but they really did not follow my Scaler-defined progressions.
On the positive side, the bass line was pretty interesting but, again, not sync.
So, I lost patience, just uninstalled it and said: Bye bye Artificial Unintelligence. AI is a good thing, but was badly used in this application.

This been said, before I found Scaler, I bought Instachord and must admit that I have never used such a ā€œuser unfriendlyā€ software so, in spite of the invested money, I uninstalled it, get rid of it and even forgot it existed. Then I bought Scaler and it was Illumination and inspiration :slight_smile:
So, do not look further than Scaler if you really want to create good and useful chord progressions and avoid frustration.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, Instacomposer is just Major and Minor Scales.

Yes. Major, minor and minor harmonic
And the 7th degree of the minor scale, both harmonic and melodic, is a diminished chord, since it is 2 minor thirds
In the minor melodic scale ascendent, the 6th and 7th degrees are diminished chords.
I bought Instacomposer and started researching things, and some (like the absence of diminished chords) I donā€™t like.
There seems to be no reasonable way to route midi channels to other tracks without using BlueCat Patchwork.
One of the ways I tried was to make separate send tracks that would receive Instacomposerā€™s midi channels 1 - 5. And from those independent tracks send midi to tracks with vsti instruments. If I donā€™t mute the rest of the instruments keep playing because they receive the midi send anyway. Wrong.
Later I tried making copies (5) of Instacomposer, mute 4 channels in each one of them; that is, a copy only with channel 1 activated; the following, with channel 2 only, etc ā€¦ but when I change any of the copies, the rest of Instacomposer instances keep the last change made. They are wired in such a way that only one shipment can be made. This is horrible
As for a comment I read here about having to press inside Instacomposer to start it, or hit a key, what I did was connect the Scaler output to Instacomposer (with the same Scaler chords copied into Instacomposer, of course ). This system is not valid with performances, arpeggios, or anything else. Simply Scaler only has to send the chords, because if, for example, you start an arpeggio, Instacomposer starts again from bar 1

1 Like

And the 2nd degree of the natural minor scale is also diminished

Read a lot of usage feedback. The evaluation is not high.
In my opinion, the products launched by their company are not considered.
More like an experiment

1 Like

The latest InstaComposer update (from yesterday) fixes quite a few problems: from the menu you can determine synchronization with the DAW and when more than one instance of the plugin is placed, they are not connected in terms of mute or solo channels. It is a great advance for me, especially to use it in Ableton Live

3 Likes

Finally someone thought of a logical way to route all 5 Instacomposer midi outputs in Ableton

I do not understand why the video is not available now, but it is about making 5 tracks each containing an instrument that you will receive from Instacomposer according to the scale range assigned to it.
The link is ok. There is something strange here that does not let me share the video.
I leave the address with 2 dashes in front. Copy the address without the hyphens
ā€“(Tutorial) How to Use InstaComposer in Ableton Natively - YouTube

For what itā€™s worth, the latest version will follow your DAW and links to itā€™s transport, if you check the appropriate options.