Brass plugins driven by EZkeys 2 for funky tunes, and a way to put Scaler in the formula

As somebody knows, I always struggled building a brass ensemble to make funky vibes (in the James Brown style) starting from Scaler, and I was able to do that easier starting from EZkeys 2, but having then troubles to drive no-Toontrack tools with Scaler :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, yesterday I found a way to do all that, and I’ll explain how later this night

1 Like

Well, let’s start

In the past I always started with Scaler, so to be able to drive different plugins, but funky is another story because it’s not just chords, but rather rhythm, and a syncopated one :thinking:

This is why I recently tried to start with EZKeys because it can produce funky rhythm from the beginning, but adding then no-Toontrack plugins was difficult because Scaler cannot recognize EZKeys chords well, so how having my funky tune with ease?

Yesterday I started with EZKeys, and to make things simple I used the “accompaniment” pattern below

EZKeys.mid (676 Bytes)

Then I added bass & drums, but this is not interesting because EZBass and EZdrummer 3 are in the same ecosystem so easy to put together

As you see above, the scale key is C major

Well, I then added a Scaler instance and I found a “funky” chord to start with: C# min in the Dorian scale

Why C# min instead of C major?
I don’t know, I just realized it now, LOL

Well, I then started to think: how creating the syncopation for the trombone, trumpet, etc using Scaler?

Listening to a James Brown mp3, I (think to have) got that brass riffs are quite repetitive with very few variations (if any), but the various riffs are not at the same time, but a bit out of phase, like that each instrument were “calling to action” the other one, so how having that in Scaler?

Simply moving a few chords in different, irregular, asymmetric places like here

Then I found some Scaler pattern by ear, as you can see by its state

Scaler-State.xml (11.1 KB)

Then I used this Scaler instance to drive the GSI Solo Trumpet (actually it gives you some trumpet, trombones and tuba), but a common issue jumped out: using Bitwig Harmonize and Key Filter set to C# Dorian all notes played with the trombone were out of tune :upside_down_face:

Normally, in the past I tried to use the Scaler Keys-Lock feature to build the riff or the solo, and often ended in a fail abandoning the project, but this time I decided to find the right key by ear, and I found that using D# and Harm Minor, possibly alternated with Dorian, almost all notes in the brass riff were in tune, BINGO!

Key Filter for riffs

But wait!
I started with C major, then I selected C# min by mistake, and now it works with D# and Harm Minor???
I am stoned :upside_down_face:

Well, later today I found this video about sax technique

I don’t know if there is a link with my mess, but who knows?

Anyway, I recorded the trumpet first played by my hand (well it reminds me more of an elephant trumpeting than a trumpet, so don’t shoot the trumpeter :rofl:)

then I duplicated the Scaler instance with the chords moved in other places, paying only attention that the trumpet riff didn’t overlap the trombone, but the sound of the latter was too much close to the bass, so I decided to make it simple and removed the trombone

I then tried to add a sax riff, but Soundpaint was impossible to drive (due to the bug I mentioned in another post today), so I used the simpler Tenor Sax by AAS driven by Scaler again

I then added a suitable funky guitar riff (UJAM Sparkle 2) driven by EZKeys

And here is the resulting tune Funk Building Up