Can scaler map single notes to chords like ripchord?

I bought a copy of scaler to test with Gig Performer (I’m one of the GP develoeprs) as some of our customers are using it.

I thought one could bind single notes to chords like one can do with RipChord but there doesn’t seem to be an obvious way to do this in general – looks like you can only assign keyswitches to do this or use some kind of grid and pads.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

You just need to bind the pads to MIDI. On the right on each section A B and C is a square button. Click that and it turns blue and starting on C2 you can now trigger each pad with with single notes on your keyboard. You can set the range and type of keys in preferences which is the gear on the upper right.
I hope this is what you were asking.
Great job on Gig Performer. I love it!

Thanks — I can’t figure out how to associate a chord a I play with a pad, never mind bind the pad to a key on my controller — it’s certainly not intuitive to me.
I suspect this is not its intended purpose.

Do you mean add a chord to a pad you play? You could do one of 2 things. You could do it manually under chord Edit OR just Click the record button in section A and play a series of chords. Each time you change chords it will write it to a new pad. When you are done click the record button again to turn it off.
Then you can drag the chords to section C and bind then to be triggered by your keyboard. I think that’s what you mean.

Hmmm, that seems like a very complicated approach. With RipChord I can just select a key on the lower keyboard and map it to a chord on the upper keyboard – much easier to see what’s going on

I thought I could do that with Scaler but I think Scaler is intended for other purposes.

Maybe I’m not understanding what you are trying to do. That seems very simple to do compared to Ripchord or Cthulhu. You don’t actually need to map anything. You just need to put chords on the pads and turn binding on. The Pads are already mapped either to white keys or Chromatically depending on your preferences.

1 Like

A trivial example — I will add a second and third octave to every note so that when I play a string or choir chord, I will get multiple octaves of that chord, making the effect much more full.

Fair enough. You can turn on Voice Grouping in Scaler to get richer dynamic grouping and expanding of chords that add lower and upper notes with some dynamics of voice leading.
But in any event, you know Ripchord and it works for you. Scaler is a different animal and has its own strengths and weaknesses. Whatever works for the type of music and workflow you like is what you should use. I’ve used Ripchord but Scaler has more of what I need.
Again, Love Gig Performer although I don’t use it for live performance per se but to have it set up so I can just play through ideas with Scaler and some Kontakt instruments.
Cheers. Hope you play around with Scaler and see if it might work for you.

3 Likes

RipChord is good and very cheap (free). I installed it when you asked here.
I am a GigPerformer user and I love it, so I had to do some research to be able to answer something to someone as important as you, since I love GigPerformer and I am very grateful that you have created this wonder that is Gig Performer (although Plugin Alliance still does not I’ve been updated, hehehe).
If you take a closer look at Scaler, you’ll see that it has a lot more to it than RipChord (no fault with this freeware, of course).
As Jaime has started to explain, you have many options for assigning keys to chords, you can control inversions, you can program progressions, you can have Scaler play your progression by assigning durations on the edit page (plus, on that same Edit page, you can program performances) , you can have an octave down with the programmed chords while you can improvise with the rest of your keyboard, and much more, …
Personally, I’ll tell you that I use Scaler with Gig Performer quite a bit; They also go together very well. For example, loading multiple Scalers in Gig Performer using Scaler’s internal sounds is a negligible CPU and memory load in Gig Performer (even though I’ve said more than once on this forum that I don’t need Scaler’s internal sounds). , Yep)
Naturally, any good program or plugin has a learning curve to learn how to use it well. or at least with 50% of its functions. Scaler’s is much lower than Gig Performer’s, of course. I recommend that you look at the manual for your doubts, that you watch videos about Scaler and that you do not hesitate to ask here. Of course, try things (as many as you can think of); here, in the forum, we have been discovering things together, and we have asked for improvements (which, as in Gig Performer) the developers have taken into account.
An honor for me to have you here. Do not hesitate, Scaler is a great complement for your great Gig Performer

1 Like

Yes, I get it – Scaler is a very sophisticated plugin with a lot of options and functionality.

However, based on what I had seen mentioned on our own forums, I was under the impression that Scaler was something that one could use instead of RipChord.

Having tried it, my sense is that while Scaler can do the kinds of things that RipChord does, albeit with more awkwardness since that’s not its primary purpose and there’s clearly room for both. It certainly works fine with Gig Performer, which is something I wanted to check because we won’t give opinions about plugins that we haven’t actually tried ourselves.

Given what it’s trying to do, it’s a terrific plugin.

Glad you like Gig Performer.