Change note chord lengths

The drop down menu for choosing duration is percentage. Is there a way to choose quarter, half, dotted half etc? I have a part that is in 4/4, and it’s dotted quarter (3 eighths) + half tied to an eighth (5 eighths). So it would be .375% and .625% which I do not see? And this seems to be a cryptic way of choosing lengths!

1 Like

For now it has to work like such because we have an overall length and a divisible length in the EDIT mode so having traditional note values wouldn’t work. For now! That was just an oversight when putting in more functionality that you expected to. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Yes, but if it changes in Configuration, the percentages also change:
In x2 beats they will be: 0.75 and 1.25
In x4 beats they will be 1.5 and 2.5
And those figures and percentages can be transcribed
However, I will say that I would also prefer the note values to be written with the drawing of the notes: dotted quarter notes, quarter notes, half notes, etc. I think we would complicate ourselves less

2 Likes

I personally could think better of time values ​​as a sheet music icon, full note, half note, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, etc. as a musical icon. It would be good to have an option for that choice if you want a note view.

4 Likes

Have you tried binding Scaler to midi and using a midi clip to set the duration of the chord blocks?

Yes, I am using midi in Cubase to control Scaler with binding on. It works fine, but sometimes I want to work on rhythm in Scaler directly.

Scaler does not read timing information, only notes. Timing is always set by Beat preferences and timing under chord edit.

1 Like

I use midi clips to trigger Scaler 2.5 and I have found that Scaler follows the timing of the notes. I use this approach as it gives me more control over Scaler’s rhythm.

I have drafted a short tutorial on this Here.

Ah, right. Of course Scaler response to the length of the trigger notes used to control the pad. I thought he was asking if Scaler would detect timing info i.e. length of detected chords which it won’t. My mistake.

1 Like

@jamieh , actually, rereading the thread, I think you were correct about @brett’s original query, and I was wrong. But I think the easiest way to do it is to trigger the blocks from a midi clip.

@jamieh @ed66 Thanks for your help. I was asking about using Scaler’s note length, i understand how to use it, but it would be easier if it were in terms of traditional note signature.

I do use midi to control Scaler, so that is straight forward.

This was explained by David in another thread. I was decided at the time that the way it is now was best at the time of creation of the app. I don’t have an issue with it and it may change it the future. It works well for me when I am working sound to picture for a film. It’s easy to work out hit points fairly quickly.