Compose a song, intro, verse, chorus etc, without leaving Scaler

I wanted to be able to compose a song, intro, verse, chorus etc, without leaving Scaler.

Check out the video link below:

You’ll see the appropriate Key Switches being triggered by the Midi track to match each part of the song stucture.

https://youtu.be/IqZofW97uUI

First, I create a midi region and add Scaler as the Instrument.

I have a basic song structure marked out using Markers. This gives me a structure to work with, but it is just a guide.

In Scaler, I build the different Patterns/Parts in Section C Main Window. (1) to match the song parts I’ll be using, such as Intro, Verse etc.

Then I opened the Pad Window (4) to see all the parts and the relevant Key Switches, shown in green on the Scaler Keyboard.

Back in the DAW, I write midi notes to correspond to the Key Switches that activate the individual parts ( intro, verse, chorus etc.) and play the chords from that section.

I then ensure DAW Sync is activated and click on the Loop icon to the left of the play button in the Scaler Pad Window.

2022-11-11_14-39-51 copy

I can now play the whole basic structure of the song in Scaler and make changes without leaving it.

You can make all the changes and try out all the options for any parts while remaining in Scaler. It is the closest you can get to using Scaler as a stand-alone.

From here, usng such things as the new Live Sync could help build the song.

Using just one Instrument, rather than multi-tracks and multi-instruments, is excellent for saving CPU resources. Every track and every Instrument used uses valuable resources.

It keeps the DAW clean and free of clutter.

I’d welcome any comments, ideas and suggestion to develop this idea?

I’m sorry the video has no sound; I couldn’t capture the system audio. However, although not a great song, it played great. If anyone knows how record system audio, that isn’t risky… I’d like to hear.

Mac OS 12.6 Monterey MacBook Pro M1
Logic Pro 10.7.4

4 Likes

Nice post. I’ve used this workflow and think it is very good. As I go along with Scaler I find it easier to Bind all patterns and not use Key Switches to change patterns. I think the Key Switch method is very clean and a perfectly valid way to do things. Scaler provides many possible workflows and most of them are good.

I don’t use Logic Pro but it should be clear as to how to render or export your mix. Cubase calls it “Export Audio Mixdown.”

Good luck.

1 Like

Hi @1stInversion, Thanks for taking the time to comment; much appreciated.

I agree that finding your workflow is essential, and with all the different DAWs out there, I should imagine this has a significant influence.

It came to me that everyone, regardless of the DAW they’re using, could create a simple midi track and control the Scaler used as an instrument on that track.

I did try selecting all the patterns, but this only plays them one after another. However, if that works for you, then it’s the right thing to do. Wow… sounds like a nice lyric.

My next step:

Once I have the structure as I like, I’ll export it.

I’ll then open up another track, add Scaler as an instrument, and import Scaler settings.

From here, I’ll try building further additions to embellish the song, using Scaler’s many options.

Again I should be able to do this within the new Scaler track.

I get lost sometimes trying to figure out how Scaler interacts with a DAW. The difference between Scalers used; Scaler Control to control midi, Scaler Audio, and then Scaler used as an instrument.

It’s the same for all these things. They build it their way to meet their needs, and they know how it works. We’re just the users and are often left just to scrabble in the dark. That’s why I’m unsure at the moment if I have to link both tracks in Scaler, but I suppose I’ll soon find out.

Have geat day!

Mac OS 12.6 Monterey MacBook Pro M1
Logic Pro 10.7.4

Pricey but worth it IMO.

Cheers @Bagatell I’ll check it out! :+1:

Have a great day!

Other ‘record system audio’ options to add the audio to a YT video include:

1. Just Bounce you song from within Logic and then use iMovie (free on your Mac) to create your video and add the bounced mp3 audio within iMovie

2. Rogue Amoeba’s Audio Hijack is a great piece of software and allows you to capture any audio from your Mac. Apart from allowing you to capture audio from Logic for a movie you can use it to capture audio to be used as samples, reference tracks etc.

3. If you are not an iMovie fan, you could use software like Lumafusion on an iPad to create your movie and add the bounced audio from Logic as a soundtrack

There are other options but I have used all of these to create movies with my own custom soundtracks.

I like to send all my tracks, ultimately, a “Mix Bus” and then do an Export to create my final mix.

If you need to record system audio you might look at Audacity for the Mac.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

I ended up with an app called Snaggit. Not too costly and records system audio and a lot more.

Snaggit is by a company called TechSmith and has been around for a long time. I’m not promoting this. I’m just saying it works for me, and that’s important. Wouldn’t it be boring if we all did the same things in the same way, day in and day out?

Thanks again, much appreciated!