Debugging Ableton Live crashes: solved!

Well, I found that the worst Ram-suckers apps in my system are UJAM guitars v.2 YUK!

A very bad news for me :cold_face:

Further testing are ongoing…

Yes, all my UJAM guitars v.2 suck a lot of RAM, so I strongly suspect this is the source of my crashes

I’ll investigate more tomorrow

16G of ram just isn’t enough for music. Can you add more to that machine. Ram isn’t that expensive.

Obviously it depends on the number and type of plugins, the DAW, etc., but I have no issues with 16GB of RAM.

Update

I have just created a project in Ableton Live 11 with 8 instances of Vital synthesizer and two instances of Drumsynth 500. I have no audio drop outs, let alone crashes on Intel(R) Core™ i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz with 16 GB RAM.

The Ableton Live CPU Usage is showing 33%.

Addin UJAM Carbon causes the CPU metre to occasionally peak at >50% when playing from my keyboard, although most of the time it is between 40 and 50%.

Almost forgot I am running Ozone 9 Elements for mastering.

I did not experience a crash when closing Live.

Don’t know if this helps, but…

Well, this put a gravestone to the UJAM guitars v.2 :face_with_spiral_eyes:

P.S: I started making music with 8GB, so I am a bold? :rofl:

Can you add more to that machine

No, the motherboard doesn’t allow

Here is the final picture

When I close all programs that can be closed, I have many GBs available + the cache
I
I
I

I
I
I
when I put one “normal” plugin like Silk 1, and play it I still have about 9 GB + the cache, i.e. enough RAM for the other plugins I usually use
I
I
I

I
I
I
But when I put one 2nd version of Silk, Amber or Sparkle, I have just 5 GB + the cache that are barely enough to add a few plugins :cold_face:
I
I
I

I
I
I
Now, all my other plugins require little RAM, so I can jam with many of them, but all versions 2 of UJAM guitars require a lot so the DAW crashes due to too little RAM, not to CPU load that is almost always lower than 20%

yeah, the UJAM products defniitely suck the life out of the RAM. even my default Kontakt w/ 4.5GB on 4 instruments only show 3.5GB consumed. but UJAM, my 16GB - over half is taken when i load SILK2 and AMBER2… they’re decent, but not 8GB decent… the Ample instruments (which is mainly what i use for guitars and bass) are very light weight (500MB or so each) plus have strumming and note sequences which can be triggered, so it’s like having a performance taking queues from the main conductor…

1 Like

ARGH!
If I got it before YUK

Nevertheless, I have the version 1 of Silk and Sparkle, and I bought Iron v1 on knobcloud, so I will be able to use them at least

And I relegate to the attic the 2nd versions until I can buy a PC with 1 gazillion of RAM

Here is the casting out nines

Using Silk 1 and some other plugins, all is fine
I
I

I
I
And here is a typical set of mine to jam on a soul vibe: even better because a removed Silk 1 so gaining 1 GB
I
I

I would fill up 16g in a heart beat with just a couple of my orchestra setups. I have 32, the max for my old machine and I can tell you that ain’t even close to being enough for me. But I am poor and near EOL so no spending for me. Freeze tracks and add others. Works fine.
But, I don’t crash. Live never crashes unless I use an out of date plugin.

Believe me: it crashes when your RAM is almost depleted, and 16GB are too low as the pictures above say, but now that I uninstalled UJAM v2 it doesn’t crash anymore

the reason why everybody point to plugins, is possibly that most music makers use heavy-duty computers, with plenty of RAM

If I could install 32 I would, but I have learned to live with 16. If necessary I will bounce down to audio on some tracks, but not so easy when jamming or playing live.

Yes, like I said despite others opinion, 16G is not enough and can cause crashes. Time to upgrade.

Just avoid versions 2 of UJAM guitars, and test any sample-based plugin you’ll ever like to see how much RAM needs, uninstall if it’s too much a RAM killer, and you’ll have no more crashes with 16GB, or even less

I started 5 years ago with 8GB, and I was able to do music using modelled plugins only

tonight I’ll test Cantabile again, and I think the situation will improve because it uses a very little amount of RAM, compared to Ableton Live

P.S. you are a PC seller, don’t you? :grin: :rofl:

Here is the Cantabile test: way better for my RAM than Ableton Live!

A typical set of mine to jam on:
Scaler 1 feeds the lower keyboard of VB3, while Scaler 2 feeds the upper keyboard from my Section B solo notes

Broomstick Bass follows without even asking for a beer :rofl:

And a modeled guitar or one UJAM v1 adds some rhythm

Still 10GB + the cache available!
So no more crashes

Now I’ve only to hope that the next Scaler version will fix the Cantabile Scaler status export bug that according to Brad is due to the current Scaler GUI