Detected chords don't match?

Hi there, forgive me if this is an obvious question. But if I detect a set of chords, whether I’ve played them or they are from other music or any source basically, Scaler usually gets them exactly right but then the chords in the matching scale don’t sound the same. Messing with the octave and or voicings sometimes helps match a couple but not all of them. One of my main uses for Scaler, or the one I’m hoping for, is to detect the scale of stuff and then help me find new chords to build out from an existing set. What could be happening? In the attached grab only the E Min sounds the same, the other are slightly off even in the right octave…?

Hi @sinewaves, welcome on board,

the triads (3 notes chords) you have inputed could have richer voicings than the basic diatonic chords leading in differences in octave spread and duplicated tones and thus not best harmonic compatibility.

As I can see in the screenshot you are browsing the chords from the current selected scale with their proposed voicings, that’s a good start to find out some “friendly” chords to complete your progression since in this section the chords from your selected scale are voiced with richer spread and style and inversion.

One other possibility is to use the recently introduced “Voicing Lock” ability (since Scaler 1.8). What you can do is to extract a voicing from any chord (let’s take one of the chords you have detected) and then apply the same kind of voicing (repeated tones and octaves) to any chords you are manipulating in the builder (C section). You also have the possibility to preview your chords with the extracted voicing (see the top right “Voicing Lock” parameters).

Those two direction should give you faster and easier workflow in finding tasteful and harmonically compatible chords to enrich your progression.

If you have any other question, please fell free to ask.

Cheers,
Paul.

Thanks, the new voicing function sounds interesting. But I think there may still be an issue. I checked back and the chords aren’t triads they have four notes so I’m guessing they are 7th chords? See screen attached here. Does that mean Scaler has detected them wrong or am I missing something? My lack of music theory is one of the reasons I’m using this ha

@sinewaves May I suggest you do some basic learning of music theory? You don’t need much but at least be able to understand scales, chords and voicings. The screenshot demonstrates triads with voice extensions. That is the same three notes of the triads with some of them duplicated. 7th chords add the 7th degree (note) of the scale. Irrespective, Scaler is doing its thing and helping you so don’t fight it. Just enhance your knowledge of Music Theory and Scaler with help you even more!

damn bro these people are your customers you don’t gotta be laying it on that thick with the snark. its an honest enough mistake to assume those would be 4 note chords without looking closely

Ha! My response was a year old, looking back it could seem snarky but I don’t think it is. What I was trying to say was ‘music theory is your friend here - go with the flow’.

oh. i started a whole ass account just to say ‘that man was rude’ and after all that was overreacting. lol.anyway, i have found that the audio detection is much less reliable that feeding the same input into midiguitar first and inputting as midi.

but that is actually a hidden talent in my book, because while the detected chords were not what i actually played, they were much more compelling and harmonically interesting than what i played