Help Recording Scaler Patterns in Logic Pro X

Hello… new to Scaler and looking for help.

Is there a way to record/capture Scaler MIDI patterns in to a Logic track without dragging the MIDI clip into the Logic track?

I don’t have a MIDI keyboard. I’m using my MacBook Pro and it would be so much easier to record the patterns I created directly to the track without needing to capture and then drag the clip to the track.

Hopefully Im missing something that allows direct capture… thanks.

You can, of course, record the track direct without drag-'n-drop. You can enter the midi data manually with a mouse. Some DAWs allow the Qwerty keyboard to be used as a midi keyboard.

tldr; Scaler is not preventing you from doing anything that you can normally do.

Thanks for your reply.

How do I record a pattern directly in Logic? I have Scaler’s “DAW Sync On” when I hit record in Logic the Scaler pattern plays… I hear the audio… the Playhead in Logic moves but nothing is recorded in Logic. What am I missing?

DAW sync on plays the chord progression in sync with Logic (when Logic plays, scaler also plays) this is sync only and doesn’t transmit note info to Logic. You can just hit MIDI capture drag and drop straight to Logic with whatever you have played or performed in Scaler. So if no midi keyboard just write the trigger notes in logic, midi capture, drag out.

To bad you can’t record direct… it would be much easier for me anyway to compose and experiment on the fly.

Thanks for the reply

Its not possible when you can trigger via bound keys, its one or the other. You can always set up a External Instrument to record in Logic if scaler is set up as a midi FX. That would work https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139452

Is this external instrument business a limitation of Logc? I’ve gotten it to work really easily (scaler out from one track to instrument in on another). I just want to record the scaler output to a track and get the actual notes being played without having to who through the rigamarole of the external instrument stuff.

Is this still not possible?

There is a video of someone doing this in Abelton… recording the Scaler 2 pattern with the Scaler 2 Felt Piano. there has to be a way in Logic,

@davide any ideas?

Hi @Dubjoix and welcome, as stated you can either use the built in mid capture or record directly in Logic using an ‘External Instrument’ with this method:

Awesome. Thank you! Looking forward to become an frequent Scaler user… still in that place where what I don’t know makes me slower, than I could be if I just played the chords myself. (basic triads with 2nds and 9ths.)

I wonder if there is a way to play scaler as a VST (not for laying down the chords, but just using the sound). Some parts are great for the chord patterns, other times a human touch with the same sound is required. Even if you released some of those sounds… particularly the felt piano as a stand alone VST - for such times.

Hi @Dubjoix , you can indeed use Scaler as a VST instrument, just for the sound. As it is, when you load it in the DAW, by default it will play any incoming notes (either from a linked keyboard or from the piano roll) with its internal sound, by default the Felt Piano. You don’t have to do anything, it will automatically respond to incoming notes with its sounds, without the need to configure it from chord detect mode or configure scales.

1 Like